AbbieCakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:08am
post #1 of

Hey all- 

 

Here's the deal, I'm a home baker who needs maybe 25 boxes every couple of months or so. I'm always looking for a better deal and have seen lots of helpful suggestions here (going to Sam's club, local bakeries, etc) for getting good deals on cake boxes and I plan on looking into them. BUT, I notice that every thread seems to have one person recommending http://www.brpboxshop.com/ as a great place. I get that they have free shipping, but here's the thing: I don't see how it's cheap enough for so many people to suggest using them. For example, I use a lot of 8x8x4 boxes. The site I'm using now sells 25 of them for $12.84 or .51 cents/box. I go to BRP and the same box is $60.06 for 100. I'm not about to buy that many, but still, that's .60/box. Why does every one keep commenting on them being such a good deal? I'm just curious if I'm missing something. Compared to a couple of other sites, they just don't seem to be that great of a deal. Thoughts?

21 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 8:43am
post #2 of

Ahttp://www.webstaurantstore.com/5-lb-yellow-cake-mix/999CAKEYELLW.html

http://www.supplyvillage.com/main-category/bakery-supply/bakery-mixes/pillsbury-en/bakers-plus/

Have you thought about using something like this? I didn't price these out, and I'm not sure how many of each flavor you'd need but I'd imagine if using doctored/regular box mixes for your cakes bags would be more economical and easier to store.

leah_s Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 1:24pm
post #3 of

AShes talking about cakes boxes not boxed cake mix.

kikiandkyle Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 2:28pm
post #4 of

How much are you paying to ship from your current site?

AbbieCakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 3:19pm
post #5 of

It's about $9 to ship from my current site, bakeabox, and about the same from the we sell coffee site, but that's the price no matter how much I'm buying so in the end it works out. Like I said before, I'm really more curious than anything. That site just seems to pop up EVERYwhere in posts and it makes no sense to me. I wouldn't want to buy more than a 10-pack and even then, it's like $17 for a 10-pack. Just seems weird :)

howsweet Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 3:34pm
post #6 of

AI can't answer to specially to your question as I order supplies in greater bulk and am mostly able to purchase locally. But I just want to say that I needed a 22 inch drum a few weeks ago and they were a pleasure to deal with. Got it to me lickety split. It was $17, but if you figure $7 for the drum and $10 for shipping, it was very fairly priced.

My usual supplier needed 5 weeks lead time.

cooksdream Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:00pm
post #7 of

Check out Ultimate Baker - depending on the quantity and size you want we have pricing well below 60c/box plus we have coupon discounts. For volume we can offer well below 45c/box.

 

For example on the following link you can buy just 1 box or up to 250 at a time with various pack options in between. (http://www.cooksdream.com/store/category/8x8xbox.html).

 

Hope this helps.

Cakepro Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:41pm
post #8 of

I've never thought BRP Boxshop was a good deal, whether buying 10 at a time or by the case.  I pay way less for boxes from Amazon (no tax, free shipping), Dawn, BakeMark, and even Restaurant Depot.

 

Howsweet, you cray cray.  $17 for a 22" drum?  Plywood is cheaper than that.  Do you have an account with Dawn or BakeMark?  Dawn is by Ikea and BakeMark is in Pearland, not far off of 288.  

jason_kraft Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 9:52pm
post #9 of

ARestaurant Depot has the lowest price I've seen for cake boxes, but if you don't have access to a restaurant supply store or need an item the store doesn't stock (for example, cupcake inserts) then BRP is usually the best bet in terms of price (for case pricing), shipping speed, availability, and product quality.

reginaherrin Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 11:32pm

I buy my boxes from webstaurant.com and they are the cheapest I can find.  100 10x10" boxes are $25.  You can buy then in sets of 10 but it is so cheap to just get the bigger amount and not have to order as much.

Cakepro Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 11:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 
 

I buy my boxes from webstaurant.com and they are the cheapest I can find.  100 10x10" boxes are $25.  You can buy then in sets of 10 but it is so cheap to just get the bigger amount and not have to order as much.

 

 

 

The price has to be determined with shipping included.  Webstaurant never has free shipping, so you do not actually pay $24.99 for those boxes.  The price nearly doubles with shipping included.

 

Webstaurant's 10 x 10 x 4" white bakery boxes are indeed $24.99/100 but shipping to my business (just south of Houston) is $20.19, making the boxes 4.52 cents each.

 

Restockit sells the same thing for $44.95 with free shipping, making the boxes 4.5 cents each.

 

If you don't mind brown kraft boxes, you can get them from Amazon for 3.8 cents each.

reginaherrin Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 1:00am

I just checked restockit and the shipping is only free if you buy over $150.

howsweet Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:45am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro 
 

I've never thought BRP Boxshop was a good deal, whether buying 10 at a time or by the case.  I pay way less for boxes from Amazon (no tax, free shipping), Dawn, BakeMark, and even Restaurant Depot.

 

Howsweet, you cray cray.  $17 for a 22" drum?  Plywood is cheaper than that.  Do you have an account with Dawn or BakeMark?  Dawn is by Ikea and BakeMark is in Pearland, not far off of 288.  


Dawn was going to take 4-6 weeks to get them in. They only stock drums up to 18 inches. I needed it to be light (no plywood).

 

But I was saying for retail - $7 was a decent price and that $10 for shipping wasn't bad for an item with a 22 inch diameter. I ordered some from Dawn so that won't happen again. They don't divide the price up that way - it's just how I looked at it.

 

I liked dealing with them - they made it really quick and easy and seemed very reliable. That's their appeal, I think.  Not price.. I didn't mean to sound like I was thrilled with paying $17 for one drum.

morganchampagne Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:51am

AI have boxes from restaurant depot and brp box. I like the brp ones way more. I never thought they were THAT great a deal...but the quality of the boxes runs circles around the restaurant depot ones. The boxes from brp are grease proof as well.

Smckinney07 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:00am

AOh wow, thanks Leah!

Cakepro Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 5:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 
 


Dawn was going to take 4-6 weeks to get them in. They only stock drums up to 18 inches. I needed it to be light (no plywood).

 

But I was saying for retail - $7 was a decent price and that $10 for shipping wasn't bad for an item with a 22 inch diameter. I ordered some from Dawn so that won't happen again. They don't divide the price up that way - it's just how I looked at it.

 

I liked dealing with them - they made it really quick and easy and seemed very reliable. That's their appeal, I think.  Not price.. I didn't mean to sound like I was thrilled with paying $17 for one drum.

I hear ya.  I love Dawn. They also by far also has the best prices on boxes if you ever need to buy them in bulk.  They beat Restaurant Depot's prices consistently, sometimes by $6 per 100 pack.

 

Maybe I'll run into you at Dawn one day. :)

AbbieCakes Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 5:54am

This is all really helpful to hear! Thank you to everyone for answering my curiosity...I'm glad we had the dialogue if for no other reason than to explore options. Thanks all!

Psyched baker Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 2:37pm

AI use brp because their diamond blue boxes are so nice and I can't find anything similar elsewhere. I just tend to add 3 dollars to all of my orders to cover the cake board and box as the box is important to me as it is part of my branding and image is important with the clientele I want to attract. They are excellent quality boxes!

morganchampagne Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 5:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyched baker 

I use brp because their diamond blue boxes are so nice and I can't find anything similar elsewhere. I just tend to add 3 dollars to all of my orders to cover the cake board and box as the box is important to me as it is part of my branding and image is important with the clientele I want to attract. They are excellent quality boxes!

mhmm. totally agree

liz at sugar Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 2:14pm

I would like to add that I just placed an order from BRP, and found out some great information to share with you all.

 

I wondered why shipping was so quick to me (I'm in Iowa) and it is because BRP is also in Iowa!  They are in Clinton, IA, which I love, because I like to "buy local" whenever I can.  I read a news article about them - an ex-paper company executive started this company in his hometown, and provides jobs to many in their community.  Average hourly wage is $13.60/hour, and those boxes are all made right here in the USA!  I am always willing to pay more for quality, and to know that those boxes are made in a factory here in the USA just made my day!

 

Sorry for all the cheerleading, (and I love Amazon and Webstaurant store as much or more than the next guy), but it is refreshing to find something I need to purchase on a regular basis made right here in my state!

 

Have a great day, everyone!

 

Liz

Norasmom Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 2:15pm

I love BRP.  I'm in MA and their shipments are super fast.  

Buddy B Posted 21 Dec 2013 , 3:02am

Where  do you buy quality boxes for .51 each?  I am new and getting started

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%