Hardly To Get Orders

Decorating By rooba Updated 1 Dec 2013 , 4:05am by kakeladi

rooba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rooba Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 2:21am
post #1 of 8

AI just stated my cake business tru online! But I'm hardly to get orders seems I'm very new... I preferred to expand my biz bigger! Hw to get more orders?I do f Facebook page on my online cake ...,

7 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 10:04am
post #2 of 8

AWell it takes time to establish a good customer base with regular (return) customers. How long have you been baking and when did you officially open for business?

If you have a storefront you can do a large opening and pass out flyers. If you post a link to your website and Facebook page we can check it out and make suggestions if you'd like.

Other members would know more about this, but you can pay to get exposure, using add words (I think that's what it's called) so your site shows up on more searches.

Do you have a local small business owners group? You can Join or organize one, its a free form of advertising and a great way for word of mouth referrals, maybe even some cross promotions. This would work well with other vendors in the wedding business (if you make wedding cakes or favors). Do a bridal show or rent a stand at a vendors fair. You really have to put yourself out there personally as well as having a web presence.

There are directorys for cake decorators, you can usually add yourself for free. Post your business on a site like Yelp and even get into the phone book. You can donate cakes (or small gift cards) to local charity auctions. It's hard to advise more without knowing more about your specialty.

What sets you apart from other bakers in your area? Example: Using high quality ingredients, baking from scratch, making 3d cakes...what do you specialize in? Focus on that and use it to your advantage when advertising. These days, with all the competition, you need to let potential customers know why they should order from you.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 8

I don't know what it's like in your country, but in general: Be patient while you build a following. With so much competition, the baking industry is tough to break into and not always worthwhile.

CakesbyKarenAUS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyKarenAUS Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 8

Having not seen your cakes or your FB page, I would recommend just keep making cakes - tell all of your friends what you are doing and offer to make their cakes at cost to give you more practice and to get your name out there... their friends will see the cake and ask where it came from... and bit by bit word will grow.

I'd also highly recommend giving out a bunch of business cards with EVERY cake you make... people love to grab them and you never know who could end up with one!

Good luck - share a link to your FB page??

cooksdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cooksdream Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 8

Persistence and offering real value in both product range and service. There are lots of baking companies out there so you need to strive to be that difference, something that people talk about, and refer their friends to. Look for products your competitors don't have. Ultimate Baker can help you in this area with new items that you may like to consider for your market.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 8

If this question had been posted in the business forum I would shout: BIG MISTAKE. REALLY BIG MISTAKE. All you'll get are people ordering cheap cakes. When you've practiced enough and want more than cost of ingredients, former customers will get angry that you're too expensive. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by CakesbyKarenAUS 

... tell all of your friends what you are doing and offer to make their cakes at cost...

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 3:43am
post #7 of 8

AThat's just building a base of customers who will be used to 'cheap' cakes.

I'd rather not have orders then work for free, personally.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:01am
post #8 of 8

Talk up & Show off your pictures at places where you do business - beauty shop,; bank; drs, dentist, insureance broker offices etc; even a small local grocery store - if they don't have a bakery :)  (to the cashiers).  Always take a nice decorated cake to any pot luck/carry in dinner or family event.  Be sure to tell anyone who asks about them "that Oh Yes, I sell cakes" so they don't think you will do things FREE.

When I started out I offered to make a small b'day cake for each employee at my bank.  They called me w/someone had a b'd coming up .  I made three 6" cakes from one cake mix and froze 2 untill needed.  Eventually word will get around :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%