Unusual piping tips.

Decorating By eagerlearner Updated 5 Dec 2013 , 4:01pm by mfeagan

eagerlearner Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 12:18am
post #1 of 12

So, as an early Christmas present to myself I got a set of 24 piping tips from Amazon. They were for just about 3 pounds in total, and they arrived today!! 

Quality wasn't...fantastic. But hey, at 3 pounds I am NOT complaining. The set has all the usual suspects (flower tips, star tips etc.etc.) but there were a few I've never seen before.

So, could anyone please clue me in? What do I use these shapes for??


...especially this one up here. I mean... WHAT ON EARTH?





11 replies
bigdad Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 1:48am
post #2 of 12

if you know  the tip number go on you tube and look  the first one is close to #070 the is a video on you tube for that. good luck

ApplegumPam Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 2:02am
post #3 of 12

The top one is a ruffle tip

ApplegumPam Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 2:08am
post #4 of 12


kakeladi Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 6:33am
post #5 of 12

The 1st one is a wide ruffle tip.  Not sure about the 2nd and 3rd ones, but the next one is  a 1/2 round to be used the same as any star tip would be.

The last one will make a heart border.

The best way to see what any tip will do is to play with it.   Use some practice icing and just try holding it in different positions and squeeze.  You can come up with some really neat and different borders using everyday tips doing that.  Take one tip and do every techinque you know (stars, balls/dots, zigzags,  rosettes, etc, etc) with it.  You will be surpirsed with some of the really neat and different things you make :)

eagerlearner Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 8:59am
post #6 of 12

AThanks guys! A ruffle tip huh? Cool! Can't wait to play once my exams are done. :)

celiazumbach Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 12

AI just Googled 'how to use tip 070 in cake decorating" ant went into images and heaps of ideas came up. I have the same tip and couldn't work it out either. So thanks for the post.

cupadeecakes Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 12

Well, I don't know about master, but thank you all the same!  I will definitely second the poster that said load up a bag and try out those new tips - hold them at different angles and try piping on a sheet of parchment.  You'll really like that 070 tip I think - it really does do most of the work for you!

ellavanilla Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 8:50pm
post #10 of 12

that ruffler is the bomb dot com! i love watching videos of it in use. 

auzzi Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 11:08pm
post #11 of 12

The first one is a frill tube: FT 080


I have seen the second one before, but I can't find where at the moment ..


The third one is a St Honore tube - makes the herringbone pattern on the pastry


The fourth one is a shell tube: something like Wilton 98


The last one is a petal tube .. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%