Bullying Tactics Being Used By Another Baker

Business By fbrumback Updated 15 Dec 2013 , 8:08pm by -K8memphis

baker145 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker145 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:36am
post #31 of 43

AAnd for what its worth we do have to compete with walmart and other grocery store bakeries. There are plenty of people in the area who do not see the difference in a homemade cake and one from walmart. All they see is the price.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:40am
post #32 of 43

AI understand coming on this forum and wanting support, I appreciate the position you are in. I live in a rural community with tons a bakers popping up, posting 'Cheap Cakes' it's actually a group on Facebook in my area.

I think your marketing and pricing could be a big part of the problem, I don't mean this as criticism or disrespect in any way but perhaps those customers she is stealing aren't the customers you want. I've had people 'price shop' or tell me this baker will do it for half the price, undercut, etc. it happens unfortunatly. A percentage of my business is from loyal, repeat customers. I like to think they are willing to pay my prices because they know I value what I do and realize it is worth that extra money.

It's true, not everyone can afford a custom cake, as stated earlier. That's fine with me. As far as being bullied by this other person, if you aren't the only one and believe this person might physically harm you, I would file a restraining order and speak with the police so it's on record. Maybe if you try standing up to her she will back off, like typical bully's do when confronted (ignore this part if you seriously feel like you are in iminate danger).

Take steps to market your product to a higher clientele. Charge for tastings and consultations (this will help weed out some people), keep your sketches, etc.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:43am
post #33 of 43

AWal-Mart doesn't even make a profit on its cakes so I don't know how you think you can when you're trying to compete with them.

If your Wal-Mart is 24 hours you'd probably make more money working one night shift there per week than you're making right now.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:45am
post #34 of 43

A

Original message sent by baker145

And for what its worth we do have to compete with walmart and other grocery store bakeries. There are plenty of people in the area who do not see the difference in a homemade cake and one from walmart. All they see is the price.

Those aren't the type of customers you want. It's your job to let your potential customers know why they should order from you, where that extra money is going. If someone comes to you wanting a $10 sheet cake, send them to Walmart-they should be coming to you because you have a superior, custom made product

baker145 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baker145 Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 4:46am
post #35 of 43

AIt didn't work for me. I tried to post something about what she was doing and didn't use her name yet somehow she knew and sent me a rather nasty message. I feel like people need to know what she's up to. People have a right to shop around. Its a free market but to go and undersell someone on purpose is rude and unprofessional.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 5:29am
post #36 of 43

The pricing is a separate issue that you have to figure out, in regards to what you think your product is worth and what kind of client you want.  There will always be someone who can/will undercut you.  Is it professional or ethical?  Not really.  But there's not a whole lot you can do about it.  Set your pricing on what is appropriate for the kind of cake you offer and if she wants to charge less then so be it.  Will you lose customers?  Yep.  The only thing you can do is focus on the ones you get.  Provide awesome customer service to get them to return and spread the word about you.

Advertise your strengths - awesome flavors, super clean work, whatever it may be. 

If someone tells you that baker is going to make their cake for less, wish them well and move on.  There's nothing you can do about it if there only concern is price and frankly those aren't the clients you want anyways.

DO NOT give out any kind of sketch until you have received a non-refundable deposit.  Make it your policy and stick with it. 

A bully will continue to be a bully until they realize that you are not going to allow them to bully you. 

Have an attorney send a cease and desist letter in terms of the threats.  Go to the police and tell them you feel threatened by this person and ask advise on what you should do.  Perhaps they will follow up with her.  Once she realizes you are not going to stand by and be intimidated maybe that will be enough for her to back off.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 1 Dec 2013 , 5:35am
post #37 of 43

A

Original message sent by howsweet

OP, I can tell you that if someone was threatening me, if I didn't absolutely depend on this income, I'd consider shutting down. Not because it's fair but because the safety of yourself and loved ones is more important. I know I rant on this all the time, but if prices are so low in your area you can barely make any money, maybe it's not worth it.

If you do go this route (and no longer wish to participate in this industry in at least the short-to-medium term), consider lowering your prices to 50 cents per serving and publishing updated price lists with a social media blast in the hopes that your competitor will follow suit. Indicate on your web site that you are booked solid for the next X months. If someone wants to reserve a date beyond that, tell them that the date has since been booked and refer them to your competitor.

How big is your local market, and what are the demographics? It's possible that a high-end custom cake business may not be sustainable.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 1:56am
post #38 of 43

1. Stop dealing with these people at all, block them on facebook, don't answer emails, don't talk to them.

2. Stop handing out sketches until the cake is booked and you have a deposit.

3. Never post on facebook about another business, even cryptic messages.

4. If someone is slandering you or threatening you, have an attorney send them a  cease and desist.

Who has time for this BS? Cake people can be the most annoying bunch of morons sometimes, don't fuel their fire by dealing with them.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 2 Dec 2013 , 2:41am
post #39 of 43

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

1. Stop dealing with these people at all, block them on facebook, don't answer emails, don't talk to them.

4. If someone is slandering you or threatening you, have an attorney send them a  cease and desist.

Who has time for this BS? Cake people can be the most annoying bunch of morons sometimes, don't fuel their fire by dealing with them.

This, exactly.

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 10 Dec 2013 , 11:54am
post #40 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 

Agree, why are you playing her game?  A friend of mine was in a similar situation, not caking but craft (it seems craft people can be annoying morons too).  She finally had had enough and told everyone that she would not talk about the other person's behaviour in anyway and did not want to know what she was saying about my friend.  My friend asked everyone to respect her stance on this.  I had one last conversation with her and she told me everything that had been going on and said she would not discuss this again.  And we haven't, I have no idea what the other person is even doing anymore (Block is a great thing on fb) As has been stated, rise above it and concentrate your time and energy on your business. It takes two people to make a situation like this continue.  One bullying and one responding.  Instead of wasting your time worrying about her, use your time to work ON your business.  Can you improve your customer service skills, work on your marketing, work on procedures that save you time in your business and make it more efficient - time is money.  Absolutely agree with blocking them on fb, do not even read their emails.  This is obviously distressing for you, but take the moral high ground, bullys aren't successful unless their victim is in the nasty and vicious circle with them.  Oh, and if well meaning people try to tell you what she has been saying about you, politely but firmly tell them you are not interested and change the subject. Good Luck. 

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 5:49am
post #41 of 43

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

.....consider lowering your prices to 50 cents per serving and publishing updated price lists with a social media blast in the hopes that your competitor will follow suit. Indicate on your web site that you are booked solid for the next X months. If someone wants to reserve a date beyond that, tell them that the date has since been booked and refer them to your competitor.......

This is hysterical. I would do it and then be booked like Jason said. Let her make cakes for .50 cents a serving. I would love to see her face when she sees your ad.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 7:47pm
post #42 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

If you do go this route (and no longer wish to participate in this industry in at least the short-to-medium term), consider lowering your prices to 50 cents per serving and publishing updated price lists with a social media blast in the hopes that your competitor will follow suit. Indicate on your web site that you are booked solid for the next X months. If someone wants to reserve a date beyond that, tell them that the date has since been booked and refer them to your competitor.

How big is your local market, and what are the demographics? It's possible that a high-end custom cake business may not be sustainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL 

This is hysterical. I would do it and then be booked like Jason said. Let her make cakes for .50 cents a serving. I would love to see her face when she sees your ad.

Ditto, I thought that was pretty funny too. The first couple months of the year are always dead slow.......it would be a good time for you to take a vacation, hint, hint.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Dec 2013 , 8:08pm
post #43 of 43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL 

Ditto, I thought that was pretty funny too. The first couple months of the year are always dead slow.......it would be a good time for you to take a vacation, hint, hint.

brilliant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%