Still Me And The Bee Cake!

Decorating By Immelda Updated 29 Nov 2013 , 8:30am by Immelda

Immelda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Immelda Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:27am
post #1 of 7

Hi everybody. I am making a similar bee cake for this weekend and was just wondering how do you get the wings to 'stick' on top, as reflected in the picture. I thought of pressing mine into the cake, but this looks like it is 'glued' on top

Can anybody help please

thanks

6 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 1:22pm
post #2 of 7

AIt's thick guage wires inserted into sheets of gumpaste (GP) then left to dry, it looks like the wires were showing through so they've added some extra ovals of GP to cover them.

if you just stick the wings into the cake the GP will go soft from the moisture inside the cake and they will sag and fall off very quickly- you need to build in support like wires or bamboo skewers.

best of luck- hope you post the finished cake here at the weekend :-)

Immelda Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 1:52pm
post #3 of 7

oh my goodness. never done that before.....stressing now!

thanks for the advise

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 7

It's really not that difficult - just takes some practice to get the wire in without going thru the gum paste.  You can do it, just practice on some soft gum paste till you get the hang of it! You'll see :)

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 3:50pm
post #5 of 7

AYou'll be fine don't panic :-)

Make them ASAP as they can take a few days to dry, leave the end you're putting wires into a bit thicker and roll the other end as thin as possible to get them as light as you can.

Also don't transport your cake with the wings in as they could damage your nice bee- place them in as it's about to be served or as close to that as possible.

If after a couple of days your wings are still too soft put them in an oven on as low as possible over night with the oven door left slightly open.

one last thing- its better to drape the wings over a rolling pin or foam or something for shape than lie them inside something curved as the GP touching the curved surface can't dry out as no air gets to it

:-)

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 7

AGreat tips Crazy-gray ! Was my first time to hear about that heat technique to stiffen the GP, is that used for figurines and flowers too ?

Immelda Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 8:30am
post #7 of 7

oh such great advise!!!!! thank you everybody. I made the wings and they are drying now. practice....practice...practice......it took a while :)

also made extra ones as I am sooo worried that they will break. Great tip about drying them in the oven.

I really appreciate them all.

Will post a pic after the weekend.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%