JennG25 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 2:03am
post #1 of

Hello everyone!

 

I'm just about to start my own business based from home. I intend to sell cookies, sugar cookies, pound cakes, cupcakes, cake pops, tarts, sweet breads, regular cakes (Cake decorating is not on the list, yet, I plan to offer it hopefully in a future, since I need more experience).

 

 

The problem: Whenever I come up with a name idea, it turns out that this name is already taken.

What do you think? I don't want to use my name. I just don't. 

 

I was considering: Candyrella, or Hope Desserts. It is so difficult to come up with a name.

 

What can I tell you about me?

 

I'm a cat person.

Love reading, nature, art, peace...

Love photography.

Very curious person.

I love Christmas.

I love baking and creating...

 

What do you think?

31 replies
-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 3:00am
post #2 of

"Homestead Bakes" or the name of your street then the word 'bakes'

BeesKnees578 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 3:00am
post #3 of

Picture Perfect Sweets

Sweet Peace Confections (there is a Sweet Peace cake place in OH, but being in FL,  I don't think you'd clash!)

 

??  I'd stay away from the fact that you are a cat person.  I would be terribly turned off if I knew that I was getting a cake from someone with cats in their house.  Don't get me wrong...I love cats.  But I know what they do....get on your counters whether you want them to or not after walking in their litter, etc....IMHO.

 

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

JennG25 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 4:35am
post #4 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 
 

Picture Perfect Sweets

Sweet Peace Confections (there is a Sweet Peace cake place in OH, but being in FL,  I don't think you'd clash!)

 

Quote:

??  I'd stay away from the fact that you are a cat person.  I would be terribly turned off if I knew that I was getting a cake from someone with cats in their house.  Don't get me wrong...I love cats.  But I know what they do....get on your counters whether you want them to or not after walking in their litter, etc....IMHO

.

 

Hope that helps!  Good luck!

Thanks for the great names!! I loved Sweet Peace! 

 

Well, I understand the cat thing, however, although it might sound hard to believe, my two cats are always off the kitchen counter. They usually get on the couch, bed. If any of them try to get on the counters, we scream their names and they will stop immediately. I always clean my counters, the kitchen floor, and the dining table before baking/ cooking, assembling. 

JennG25 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 4:38am
post #5 of

Great! Thank you! The street where I live doesn't have a name, it has a number. 4th St. :-)

JennG25 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 9:43pm
post #6 of

Anyone else?

kikiandkyle Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 12:09am
post #7 of

Hope and Sugar

 

4th Street Treats

BrandisBaked Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 1:32am
post #8 of

AI think I'm still stuck on Sugar Crush.

Becs FF Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 5:34pm
post #9 of

ASugar Crush is a really awesome name, wish I had of thought of that!!

JennG25 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:13pm

AThank you so much. Sugar Crush sounds fun. Now, I need to make sure is not already taken.

JennG25 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:43pm

ASugar Rush is already taken. What about Peace N' Love Desserts/ Confections/ treats

dawnybird Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 7:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JennG25 

Sugar Rush is already taken. What about Peace N' Love Desserts/ Confections/ treats


Sounds like a place for old hippies to hang out. Just sayin'!

BrandisBaked Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 7:19pm

AHookah and cupcakes.

cooksdream Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 5:42pm

When you say taken you mean the domain name -right? You could use variants on sugar crush such as sweet sugar crush? Domain names are hard to get as squatters sit on all the good names. But I would go to godaddy.com and on their home page you can type in names and variants to see if their available.

 

Good luck with the search...

JennG25 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 8:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnybird 
 


Sounds like a place for old hippies to hang out. Just sayin'!

LOLOLOLOLOL  right.

JennG25 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 8:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Hookah and cupcakes.

Hookah sounds like I'm offering Hookah rentals lol . But thanks anyway. What about: 

 

The Flying Cookie?

Flying Cookie?

Would it be alright if I add "Desserts/Confections/ Treats? 

 

The Flying Cookie/Flying Cookie Confections? 

JennG25 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 8:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooksdream 
 

When you say taken you mean the domain name -right? You could use variants on sugar crush such as sweet sugar crush? Domain names are hard to get as squatters sit on all the good names. But I would go to godaddy.com and on their home page you can type in names and variants to see if their available.

 

Good luck with the search...

I haven't used godaddy.com yet. I was just thinking about the business name, and Facebook page. Should I get a webpage domain now? Or should I  use godaddy just to make sure the name is not taken? What do you recommend?\

 

Thank you!

JennG25 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 10:27pm

Yes? Hello?

-K8memphis Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 10:47pm

this is a question that the entrepreneur answers--the business owner plots their own course--it depends on all the individual details that only you know--sure you need a web page unless you're starting out with facebook unless a bunch of other things--only you will be able to determine when & how you're gonna jump off the cake cliff--

 

if you want to invest your money now in a domain name--go for it.

lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 10:59pm

Sounds like you could use some business classes as a first step, that and a reality check about the cats.  Cats don't listen.  When you aren't there... they are on the counters.  If they jump up when you are around from time to time you can bet anything they are definitely doing it when you aren't around.  It's just the nature of cats.

 

Now don't think I'm being mean or hate cats.  I have two myself and have had many over the years, so I have plenty of experience with many different breeds and personalities.  They ALL have done what I would rather they did not many times over... regardless of what I tried.  Mine had to spend days a time in the basement (they had their own room with posts and beds and everything) when I was working at home.  It was such a pain in the ass because you have to clean triple what you normally would.  Vacuum... let it all settle... dust... clean.. vacuum... repeat.  Completely change your clothing and make sure to not kick up stray hairs... I was always worried about it.  Never had an issue *knock on wood* but I wouldn't ever have free roaming animals if I had an at home bakery again.  Everyone would love to think that their cats are different and respect them.. it's just a pipe dream... LOL.  I love mine, but their little sh*t feet are all over my house.  I wipe everything down before I cook because I know they have been there.  My dog... she listens... the cats... no freakin' way.

 

There is no one way to do this.  You should have a website though... it's important to have a place for your customers to see your work and get a feel for your biz.  Good luck with the name...  :)

JennG25 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 
 

this is a question that the entrepreneur answers--the business owner plots their own course--it depends on all the individual details that only you know--sure you need a web page unless you're starting out with facebook unless a bunch of other things--only you will be able to determine when & how you're gonna jump off the cake cliff--

 

if you want to invest your money now in a domain name--go for it.

Thank you so much for the advice. :)

JennG25 Posted 3 Dec 2013 , 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilmissbakesalot 
 

Sounds like you could use some business classes as a first step, that and a reality check about the cats.  Cats don't listen.  When you aren't there... they are on the counters.  If they jump up when you are around from time to time you can bet anything they are definitely doing it when you aren't around.  It's just the nature of cats.

 

Now don't think I'm being mean or hate cats.  I have two myself and have had many over the years, so I have plenty of experience with many different breeds and personalities.  They ALL have done what I would rather they did not many times over... regardless of what I tried.  Mine had to spend days a time in the basement (they had their own room with posts and beds and everything) when I was working at home.  It was such a pain in the ass because you have to clean triple what you normally would.  Vacuum... let it all settle... dust... clean.. vacuum... repeat.  Completely change your clothing and make sure to not kick up stray hairs... I was always worried about it.  Never had an issue *knock on wood* but I wouldn't ever have free roaming animals if I had an at home bakery again.  Everyone would love to think that their cats are different and respect them.. it's just a pipe dream... LOL.  I love mine, but their little sh*t feet are all over my house.  I wipe everything down before I cook because I know they have been there.  My dog... she listens... the cats... no freakin' way.

 

There is no one way to do this.  You should have a website though... it's important to have a place for your customers to see your work and get a feel for your biz.  Good luck with the name...  :)

Thank you :)

costumeczar Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 12:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrandisBaked 

Hookah and cupcakes.

That sounds like a strip club.

 

The cat thing...I have a black cat with a bad hip, so he can't jump, which is the only reason that I agreed to take him. I can see his shedding and if he escapes from upstairs he can't get on the counters. But I don't pretend to think he wouldn't if he had a chance...This about sums it up

 

JennG25 Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 12:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by costumeczar 
 

That sounds like a strip club.

 

The cat thing...I have a black cat with a bad hip, so he can't jump, which is the only reason that I agreed to take him. I can see his shedding and if he escapes from upstairs he can't get on the counters. But I don't pretend to think he wouldn't if he had a chance...This about sums it up

 

LOLOLOL.

 

But I kinda like the name. Flying Cookie Confections. I found a "Flying Cake facebook page  , and sounds "emotionless"  Every single name seems to be taken. 

peeterjozaf Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 6:50am

I think name must be Home Sweet Bakers.

JennG25 Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 5:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by peeterjozaf 
 

I think name must be Home Sweet Bakers.

You just gave me an idea! 

What about "Sweet Home Confections" ??? :D Sounds cute and lovely.

sugaraddictscak Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 6:08pm

This was hard for me as well. I asked my friends on FB to help and the person with the winning name I made a cake for. My friend came up with Sugar Addicts Cake Shop. I am a total sugar addict so it fits me and what I do. I like the idea of tying your love of photography into your name......how about Picture Perfect Treats or Sweets as you are providing different kinds not just cakes? Good Luck in your new venture.

JennG25 Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugaraddictscak 
 

This was hard for me as well. I asked my friends on FB to help and the person with the winning name I made a cake for. My friend came up with Sugar Addicts Cake Shop. I am a total sugar addict so it fits me and what I do. I like the idea of tying your love of photography into your name......how about Picture Perfect Treats or Sweets as you are providing different kinds not just cakes? Good Luck in your new venture.

Thank you very much! 

I love  Picture Perfect Sweets.

I think I'm doing the same you did. I plan to post a poll on Facebook and see what my future costumers think about this lovely name and those I liked as well.

Let's see which one wins. 

sugaraddictscak Posted 4 Dec 2013 , 10:30pm

Good luck. My FB friends loved it. They really got into it and my friends are who support me in my business and they felt as if they are part of it. They all have been very encouraging as my business grows. It has been very exciting. Best of luck.

JennG25 Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugaraddictscak 
 

Good luck. My FB friends loved it. They really got into it and my friends are who support me in my business and they felt as if they are part of it. They all have been very encouraging as my business grows. It has been very exciting. Best of luck.

Thank you very much! :D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%