340 Cake Pops! Help!!!

Decorating By ronya Updated 18 Mar 2014 , 1:39am by CindyPO

ronya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ronya Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 22

AHello fellow bakers!

I just got asked to make 170 brides & 170 grooms as wedding favors for a wedding on January 17, 2014. I've never had an order so big before. I was wondering how soon in advance I can start? Has anyone made cake pop dough and froze it before? Can I roll batches and stick them in the freezer than the week of the wedding focus on decorating? Any help is much appreciated thanks in advance!

21 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 22

ABefore you start, have you confirmed that the customer is OK with the price and put down a deposit? That's a $1000+ order.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 22

AYes you can freeze them. Just make sure you don't dip them when they are frozen or cold.

ronya Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 22

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

Before you start, have you confirmed that the customer is OK with the price and put down a deposit? That's a $1000+ order.

ronya Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 9:59pm
post #5 of 22

AYes I have I received the deposit today.

ronya Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 10:00pm
post #6 of 22

A

Original message sent by BrandisBaked

Yes you can freeze them. Just make sure you don't dip them when they are frozen or cold.

ronya Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 10:01pm
post #7 of 22

AThank you! Have you frozen cake balls before? How do you freeze them?

BrandisBaked Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 2:26am
post #8 of 22

AYes I have frozen them. I freeze on a cookie sheet, then put them in freezer bags when solid. Thaw and then put your sticks in.

Sakura Blossom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sakura Blossom Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 4:00am
post #9 of 22

AFrom my personal experience, I freeze them already decorated, you can even start to make them now. Just make sure that when you thaw them to put them in the fridge then room temp. Do not attempt to try to thaw them in room temps right away or they will crack.

BrandisBaked Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 4:03am
post #10 of 22

AI would never take that kind of risk.

ronya Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 4:40pm
post #11 of 22

AI too would be scared to decorate them then freeze them. I figure the longest part is rolling them into balls so if I can get a leg up on that I should be ok. I wish someone would invent a good roller already lol!'

BrandisBaked Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 6:48pm
post #12 of 22

AThere is a cake ball roller. I have one.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 7:23pm
post #13 of 22

AWith the revolting consistency of the "dough" for the cake pop roller, I wonder if anyone has just added a bit of icing to dry cake mix, mixed well and rolled it?

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 7:41pm
post #14 of 22

I do what Sakura Blossom does.  You should make a cake this week and try freezing some rolled balls and freeze some fully decorated cake pops, thaw both and see what works best for you. 

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 7:58pm
post #15 of 22

I freeze crumbled cake and pull out what I need, mix it with a tiny bit of icing and start rolling. The crumbs thaw almost instantly.  Once dipped, they are fine at room temp for several days, or refrigerated for weeks.  

My first big wedding order was for 700.  I learned a LOT!

I have the cake pop roller.  Colossal waste of time and money.  But no I'm not ready to sell it, so don't PM me.

ronya Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 5:22pm
post #16 of 22

AI have heard a lot of bad reviews with the cake pop roller so I don't think it's worth the investment. Leah how did you organize your time? Any tips you can share?

leah_s Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 22

AI made them over 5 days, 150 or so per night. Then refrigerated. Really no big deal. But I'm used to big orders.

daprincessnora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daprincessnora Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 6:10am
post #18 of 22

AI wonder if you're not using a cake ball roller how you make sure the 170 balls will be of similar size ? Do you weight the dough pieces before rolling them? Or do you use a spoon or something ?

Best of luck in ur order and please update us on the results and how did you organize your time eventually

leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 1:39pm
post #19 of 22

APortion scoop.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 3:26pm
post #20 of 22

Even for $1000+ - you couldn't pay enough to take that order!  Good luck!! ( I haaaate making cake pops. No matter what I do, I ended up with about 1/2 cracking.  Drove me nuts trying to figure it out - I even kept track to which ones cracked and honestly there was NO rhyme or reason to the madness.)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Nov 2013 , 4:59am
post #21 of 22

AI can't make them round to save my life, unless the mixture is like cookie dough, and that is just gross.

CindyPO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyPO Posted 18 Mar 2014 , 1:39am
post #22 of 22

I've never made cake pops but I volunteered to make them along with cookies and a cake. So I'm gonna bake ,decorate and freeze. I heard the food processor comes in real handy to get the dough just right with a tbs of frosting.:smile:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%