Help! My Purple Food Coloring Paint Turned Blue!

Decorating By Mientjie Updated 25 Nov 2013 , 1:11pm by -K8memphis

Mientjie Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 8:03am
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone!

I am quite new to decorating cakes, but need to practice, because a friend asked me to bake her wedding cake next year. 

Yesterday I decorated my 2nd practice cake with fondant and put cute gumpaste butterflies on top.  Then I decided to try out painting with food coloring.  ( I have to put purple orchids on the wedding cake, so painting skills are essential!!).  I used soft gel food coloring (Regal purple), added a drop or two water and started painting.  Everything went great and looked great, but this morning when I looked at my cake, the purple paint turned blue.  Can anybody tell me why that happened and how I can prevent that from happening?  Should I use something else to paint with?

3 replies
810whitechoc Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 11:21am
post #2 of 4

Really annoying when that happens, you have to keep your cake completely out of the light.  Put it within a cupboard box, Chefmaster make a No Fade purple, I haven't tried it so can't give you an opinion but somebody else might have.  I use Americolor Regal and have found that as long as you keep it completely covered it is ok.

Mientjie Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 12:14pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much!  I will try that next time!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 4

including travel/delivery time

Quote by @%username% on %date%