12" Round Cake Servings

Decorating By pj22 Updated 24 Nov 2013 , 3:56pm by pj22

pj22 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

ASo I've referred cake serving charts, and need to make a cake to serve 55 people.

I'm thinking of doing a 12" round. Do you think that'll be enough servings. I've read posts about how the charts aren't always right.

Can anyone please help with what size of cake should be made for 55 servings? I don't want to give away free cake or have it fall short! Thanks!

6 replies
morganchampagne Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 7

AGoogle earlenes serving chart...that's a pretty good one. I've used wilton and never had a problem falling short but...with Earlenes I think the portions are a bit bigger

-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 7

the key is to cut the serving size that the chart indicates--

so it's up to you to determine what size cake serving you are selling--

industry standard servings size is 1x2x4 --

for 56 servings you can use a two layer 12" cake that's about 4" tall according to wilton's tier cake chart 

i tell my bride's that that is the size they are buying -- it is at least as much as cupcake  with all the juicy fillings additional and if they want larger servings they buy more cake--

best to you

Smckinney07 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 5:26pm
post #4 of 7

AYou mentioned you didn't want to give away free cake, I only bring it up because if you're selling a cake to someone servings and pricing should already be established. I mean no disrespect, just concern.

The two main serving charts are Wilton's and Erlenes most others I've seen are some sort of variation of one of them. They have party sized servings (which are larger) and wedding sized servings (obviously smaller), some decorators have seperate pricing for weddings and party cakes, some charge by the tier size (which is basically the same thing but you still need an average number of servings per tier).

Basically it's up to you, just pick a chart and stick with it.

If you are between sizes give the customer the option: you can order the 10" which equals x amount of servings or the 12"....

You can make a tiered cake or a sheet cake if you just need a large amount of servings.

morganchampagne Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 5:46pm
post #5 of 7

ASmckinney07 hey you're back!! I haven't seen you around these parts as much lately!!

Smckinney07 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 7

AYes, I know! I've been crazy busy, which is a good thing but I haven't had much downtime. I know everyone is swamped around the holidays. I have designated this weekend to avoiding all the housework I should be doing and relaxing!

Thanks for noticing :) Sharon

pj22 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 7

A]Thanks so much! I think I'll go with the 12" round!

Quote by @%username% on %date%