Shelf Life ...

Decorating By NetworkZombie Updated 25 Nov 2013 , 10:09am by kyliecake

NetworkZombie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NetworkZombie Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All, 

Would someone be able to tell me the shelf life on a chocolate mud cake? I have baked them off and they are now chilling in the refrigerator, ready to be decorated in the morning! There are no dramas going on, but it would be nice to know the shelf life on them from the day they were baked. 

Thank you in advance! :D

-NetworkZombie- 

6 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 7

AIt will be fine, mudcakes get better over time. I would wrap it in Saran personally.

In the freezer, wrapped properly it would last months-not that I can keep cake around that long :)

NetworkZombie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NetworkZombie Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 7

Great! 

So they would be okay for Saturday if I froze them? :)

How long should I thaw it for? I never froze or unfroze a cake before? 

Smckinney07 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 6:50am
post #4 of 7

APeople use different methods for freezing cakes-look towards the bottom of the forums there's a thread called 'Freazing cake rocks!' something like that. They are all very similar (ex: some freeze the cakes while they're still in their pans some don't-I don't).

Anyway, what I do is bake my cakes on day one, let cool for 5-10min in my pan (depending on the recipe), flip the cake out onto my cooling rack.

I place my cake on a cakeboard or foamcore (I cover my boards in Saran wrap so I can reuse them), cover my cake with Saran wrap-I don't let it cool completely (again this is a preference some cool completely before wrapping). I also wrap with foil then pop in the freezer.

When I'm ready to work on my cake I pull it from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for a while (maybe 30min). I do this so the condensation will form and bead on the foil rather then my cake.

Then I unwrap/cut the foil & Saran and torte/level my cake. I like to do this while my cake is partially frozen (or at least very cold) it makes carving, dome removal, etc. easier.

You can do it however you like, this is just the way that works best for me, but if you aren't serving your cake for another week I would definitely freeze it rather then refrigerate.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else.

Smckinney07 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 6:55am
post #5 of 7

ACouple extra tips:

If you use a crusting buttercream wait until the cake comes to room temp before frosting-from what I understand it doesn't crust very quickly when cold.

Make sure your cake is room temp when serving.

After covering a cake don't refreeze

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 9:02am
post #6 of 7

My mudcake lasts at least three weeks out of the fridge , 

Please take yours out of the fridge it will just dry them out. 

I just cover them with a teatowel overnight and let them cool in the tin. I them glad wrap them ( often still in the tin until I am ready to ganache tort and cover them. 

If you are freezing mudcake , be aware that they can take up to 24 hours to thaw completely on the bench. 

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 10:09am
post #7 of 7

I agree with Chellecakes, my mudcake recipe says 3 weeks and my husband has been eating offcuts that are nearly 4 weeks old now.  Don't refrigerate it, i gnache it the day after baking and leave it on the bench.  The taste and density gets better as it gets older.  The one cake I did do two days before an event, the people complained that it crumbled.  Yet when i asked them to bring some back (which was a week later), it was perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%