Need Help With Figures!!!

Decorating By cecescakecreations Updated 29 Nov 2013 , 4:22pm by -K8memphis

cecescakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cecescakecreations Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 3:16am
post #1 of 18

AI don't usually make figures but needed to for a cake this weekend. Now that they are made I tried to place them into the cake and they are so heavy they just sink and sink!! I grabbed them out. I have until tomorrow morning to figure out how to support them for the customer to travel with the cake. What is the secret that those of you who make figures often use?? Please help!!

17 replies
Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 3:25am
post #2 of 18

ADepending on the design of the cake I'll either place a bubble tea straw underneath the figurine or I'll cover a styrafoam disk (seperator) in fondant and place them on there.

Either way, I put supports under figurines if they're heavy.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 3:26am
post #3 of 18

The only thing I can think of is to make sure you put a lot of dowels in the cake and place the figurines on a cardboard - or foamcore board (glued on with a glue gun) and make sure the toppers won't be put on the cake until the last second - when it's reached its destination.

cecescakecreations Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 3:54am
post #4 of 18

AOh I didn't think of another board there! Great idea! I better get to work on it. Thanks

cecescakecreations Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 18

AHi everyone. I used the method recommended here with the board underneath the figures on the top tier. I feel like it was a old quick fix but I wouldn't want to do it again. Does anyone out there have the secret to putting a heavier figure into a cake without much damage? Or how to work with figures in general. I just had such a hard time. :cry:

Smckinney07 Posted 27 Nov 2013 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 18

AIf your making something you know is going to be heavy rather then using all fondant you can sub RKT or styrafoam (they make all sizes and shapes, balls small and large). Some people don't like using non edible materials.

I saw a great tutorial on SugarSweetTreats and Cakes blog, she uses a lollipop to build a face on.

I would check out Liz Marek's video tutorials, I'll post some links for you.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 12:19am
post #8 of 18

If your next figurine is big and heavy, start the inside of it out with Rice Krispie treats.  That way the inside will be light as a feather before you apply the heavier fondant or gumpaste.  But the true trick is not to make huge toppers in the first place - unless they'll allow you to put the heavy figurine on the table next to the cake.  ;-)

Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 1:14am
post #9 of 18

AI agree with using the RKT. It is the way to go. I learned that the hard way! Below are 2 cakes I used RKT for. The rocket ship and the blue truck are both RKT covered in fondant. To put something heavy on the cake, I just use dowels underneath (3 or 4 to fully support the item placed on top and haven't had any sinkage issues.

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3139508/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3128314/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

cecescakecreations Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 1:30am
post #10 of 18

AThose links posted were really great! Thanks for that! Great pics too!

Smckinney07 Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:21am
post #11 of 18

ANot a problem, glad they helped!

jasonjiang Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasonjiang Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 8:40am
post #12 of 18

good job ...:D

----------------------------------------------

<

http://www.utfifa.co.uk/

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 10:00am
post #13 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonjiang 

good job ...:D

----------------------------------------------

<

http://www.utfifa.co.uk/

Go away loser.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2013 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecescakecreations 

Hi everyone. I used the method recommended here with the board underneath the figures on the top tier. I feel like it was a old quick fix but I wouldn't want to do it again. Does anyone out there have the secret to putting a heavier figure into a cake without much damage? Or how to work with figures in general. I just had such a hard time. icon_cry.gif

sure as has been said, make a lighter weight figurine--

i mean the only other option is to suspend it overhead somehow--or embed it into the cake so it sits on the plate

i don't think i understand--if you don't want to provide proper support for heavy items what else could you do?

you are not wanting to employ 'the secret' again because it is an 'old quick fix'?  i'm not sure what you mean--

cecescakecreations Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 1:43am
post #15 of 18

AActually that was a typo!! It was meant to say that it was a 'good quick fix' Sorry for the quick typing.

Smckinney07 Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 5:10am
post #16 of 18

AI cover small circles of foam in fondant and place the decorations on top, for example I made a drum set for my sister-in-laws baby shower on a fondant covered foam disk (with a few supports underneath, just like doweling for another tier) and she was able to remove and save it. I built my pieces so there was extra space for my supports to stick into the foam.

It worked well for the design and she really liked that she was able to keep the top. It really depends on your design. If you don't like the suggestions already listed above I'm not sure what else you could do aside from making a denser cake (like a mudcake) if your figures aren't super heavy you should be able to place them anywhere with just a straw/dowel for support.

cecescakecreations Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 3:06pm
post #17 of 18

AI used all modeling chocolate for the figure and I think that was why it was sooo heavy. That was a first for me. I think I'll stick with fondant. All great suggestions and very helpful. Thank you all.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 4:22pm
post #18 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by cecescakecreations 

Actually that was a typo!! It was meant to say that it was a 'good quick fix' Sorry for the quick typing.

oh--how funny-- i couldn't figure out what you meant

i understand it was quick fix for you in this case but t's not just a quick fix-- it is the fix--for a heavy or an unweildy topper

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%