To Be Or Not To Be...that Is The Question.

Business By ShandiKakes Updated 22 Nov 2013 , 6:50pm by ShandiKakes

ShandiKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandiKakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 10:22am
post #1 of 10

Ugh.  I'm struggling with whether or not to do the home bakery.  I'm new to the area and work from home for my "real" job and know absolutely no one here.  The nearest family is 5 hours away by car.  So I won't have that friends and family network (which might actually be a good thing I guess)  I'm just wondering if it's going to be worthwhile to go through the steps required to get licensed and the $ involved to end up with little to no orders.  :-(

9 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 10

AYou should be able to answer your question with a business plan and some market research. You don't need friends or family in the area to be successful if you have a good product at the right price point, a sufficiently large local target market, and a sound advertising strategy.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 10

AIf you live in a place where licensing and inspection is required you may be ahead of the game compared to those of us who live in areas with liberal cottage food laws. Where I live anyone can sell cakes from home with no regulation from the health department. In Texas, if you want, your cat can sit on the counter and keep you company while you decorate with your parrot on your shoulder. Haha, my point is, that means anyone and everyone can sell cakes and they are. Most don't charge anything close to what a real business would charge, so if you actually want to sell your cakes for a fair price, it can be pretty tough going. This is not a field I'd have entered if I'd known then what I know now.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 10

AAnd I agree that being free of a friends and family network is a plus. Unless they are the Kardashians (well connected and have lots of money)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 10

what a question--having a cake business for those that are infected/afflicted with this disease is like an itch that can never be scratched--i vote do it--at least keep walking that way so that you can someday--

go for it--set your pace--plan your work and work your plan--climb high--soar--bake on burn it up do it do it do it

what if it doesn't work?

that is a certainty if you don't go for it 

ShandiKakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 10

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

You should be able to answer your question with a business plan and some market research. You don't need friends or family in the area to be successful if you have a good product at the right price point, a sufficiently large local target market, and a sound advertising strategy.

Thank you. I will get to work on that. :)

ShandiKakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 5:29pm
post #7 of 10

A

Original message sent by howsweet

If you live in a place where licensing and inspection is required you may be ahead of the game compared to those of us who live in areas with liberal cottage food laws. Where I live anyone can sell cakes from home with no regulation from the health department. In Texas, if you want, your cat can sit on the counter and keep you company while you decorate with your parrot on your shoulder. Haha, my point is, that means anyone and everyone can sell cakes and they are. Most don't charge anything close to what a real business would charge, so if you actually want to sell your cakes for a fair price, it can be pretty tough going. This is not a field I'd have entered if I'd known then what I know now.

We are required to get a biz license, have start-up inspection and get a report in the water.

ShandiKakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 5:30pm
post #8 of 10

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

what a question--having a cake business for those that are infected/afflicted with this disease is like an itch that can never be scratched--i vote do it--at least keep walking that way so that you can someday--

go for it--set your pace--plan your work and work your plan--climb high--soar--bake on burn it up do it do it do it

what if it doesn't work?

that is a certainty if you don't go for it 

[B][COLOR=EE82EE]♥[/COLOR][/B]

I'm definitely infected! I had one going in AZ and they don't require anything but a food handlers card and registration with the home baking program. I know I will do it eventually haha. I'm frustrated at the moment I guess.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 6:38pm
post #9 of 10

A

Original message sent by ShandiKakes

I'm definitely infected! I had one going in AZ and they don't require anything but a food handlers card and registration with the home baking program. I know I will do it eventually haha. I'm frustrated at the moment I guess.

The law allows for us to operate as a legitbusiness. That means you are now bound to whatever requirements that your city and county require to operate a business. Maybe your area allows you to operate on those two things alone, but there is so much misunderstanding about the law. It's not a blanket green light to sell. Chances are your city or county will want you to apply with.them, and pay taxes, like any other business. The state law is just the first step to comply with.

ShandiKakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShandiKakes 

The law allows for us to operate as a legitbusiness. That means you are now bound to whatever requirements that your city and county require to operate a business. Maybe your area allows you to operate on those two things alone, but there is so much misunderstanding about the law. It's not a blanket green light to sell. Chances are your city or county will want you to apply with.them, and pay taxes, like any other business. The state law is just the first step to comply with.

Right, the business end of it is a given, as far as paying taxes, etc.  I was referring to what it takes in order to be a home bakery, according to the cottage food law.  I am very clear on what is required in my new area and was very clear on (and followed) what was required when I was in Arizona.  I'm not in AZ anymore.  Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%