Can I Add Brown Sugar To Smbc??

Baking By Rosie2 Updated 25 Nov 2013 , 6:12pm by Rosie2

Rosie2 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 10

Hello to all,

I've been looking everywhere and can't find the answer.

Can I add brown sugar to my already made Swiss Meringue Buttercream?? ---I've read that you can add any flavor to SMBC but how can I add the brown sugar after is already done?? I was thinking on melting the sugar and add it, but wouldn't that make my SMBC soupy?? Please help!!

Thank you in advance!

9 replies
kimmisue2009 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 10

You will probably get a lot of actual professional-grade advice, but I can tell you one thing that I learned just from home baking. I have tried twice to add brown sugar to my buttercream for a chocolate chip cookie dough cupcake and both times it has been gritty. I just added it straight in the first time, which was like eating a sweet sand castle. :(  I tried melting a bit of the butter and dissolving the brown sugar in it the second time;  was a little better and tasted good but was still crunchier than I like my buttercream.

-K8memphis Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosie2 

Hello to all,

I've been looking everywhere and can't find the answer.

Can I add brown sugar to my already made Swiss Meringue Buttercream?? ---I've read that you can add any flavor to SMBC but how can I add the brown sugar after is already done?? I was thinking on melting the sugar and add it, but wouldn't that make my SMBC soupy?? Please help!!

Thank you in advance!

you could make a brown sugar caramel i guess?

but this would take me some testing to get it right so i can't advise on particulars--

but you sure can make the from scratch original smbc with it in place of white sugar 1:1 for a lovely  product--

maybe somebody else will know for you

AnnieCahill Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 10

Skip the brown sugar and just add a little molasses.  That's all it is, anyway. 

In the future, use brown sugar in place of half the regular sugar in the recipe (cook it). 

Rosie2 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 10

I did wonder about making it gritty by just adding the brown sugar. I should just make nother batch and substitute the sugar...

Thank you all for your great advice!! that's why I love Cake Central :)

erin2345 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 10

You can sub out some of the white sugar for brown sugar in the beginning stages of your SMBC.  Turns out super yummy!

Spooky_789 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 10

I've made SMBC using all brown sugar.  Depending on the flavor profile you want, if you use light brown sugar, you'll get a light flavor, a dark brown sugar it cause it to be more pronounced.  I prefer the dark brown, but it all depends on what flavor you're going after.

h0mesweeth0me Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 12:52am
post #8 of 10

AI would also think that adding it afterwards would leave it gritty. I have on occasion sprinkled some on top AFTER piping for visual effect. Depends on the look you are going for though...

AnnieCahill Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 1:55pm
post #9 of 10

I'm telling ya...just add a shot of molasses!  Brown sugar is sugar with molasses, that's what makes it brown and gives it that flavor.

Rosie2 Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

I'm telling ya...just add a shot of molasses!  Brown sugar is sugar with molasses, that's what makes it brown and gives it that flavor.

Really? awesome, I'll give it a try!! thanks a million!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%