Ri And Buttercream Help, Please

Decorating By johnbailey64 Updated 24 Nov 2013 , 9:28pm by bigdad

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:21pm
post #1 of 12

I haven't use RI in years. Not sure why, I used to use it, but I don't remember it's limits, except that grease breaks it down. Will it work to make RI letters to spell a name on a cake, let them dry, then lay them on Buttercream?

The oils in buttercream won't break it down after it is dry, right? I think in the past I made RI flowers for a buttercream cake.

I want to print out the name with a cute font, then put wax paper or freezer paper over it and pipe RI by tracing the printout. Which paper would be best to prevent sticking? Any other tips/advice for RI?

I'm doing a 'Cheerleader' cake for a  friend. She is turning 8. I've done the cheerleader figure. Now to ge the other details worked out. Her mom just told me today that she doesn't like fondant, which was what I was going to use.. Oh, well.. plan B!

Thanks,

Linda

11 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 12

ASome people say use wax paper with royal icing. I've used both parchment and wax and they were just fine. I'm not 100 percent sure about the royal icing breaking down but I dont think that it will affect the letters once they have dried

johnbailey64 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 12

I made some last night on wax paper, but this morning it seemed 'foamy' and not very hard. More like dry crusty and crumbly.

I guess it will dry more today? Or did I beat it too long if it is very airy?

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 12

If you are going to use royal icing decorations on a buttercream cake, put it on as late as you possibly can otherwise it may soften up onto the cake. I don't like using royal that way. If I want to trace something I pipe onto wax paper using either melted chocolate or with buttercream (then I freeze it if it's buttercream). Good luck.

morganchampagne Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 12

AYeah. Another option would be to thin the buttercream and use it that way

johnbailey64 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 5:58am
post #6 of 12

Thanks. :-/

I can freeze the buttercream outline on wax paper? place it on the foom temp cake frozen?

They are picking it up tomorrow evening.

morganchampagne Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 6:21am
post #7 of 12

AYep. That should work.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 6:32am
post #8 of 12

ARoyal dries hard as a rock overnight, so there was a problem. Google 'frozen buttercream transfer' also called FBCT and fbt. And just because she doesn't like fondant doesn't mean you can't use it. She can pick it off.

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 12

Yes, I put outlined items, on wax paper, on a small cookie sheet and then into the freezer. This way is lays flat and undisturbed. When ready, I peel off the wax paper and place onto the cake. I do this for some flowers sometimes too because it's easier for me to handle when they are frozen. Plus, it's easier to place them. I recommend you make a backup piece as well, in case one breaks while you are removing the wax paper. Good luck.

johnbailey64 Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks

johnbailey64 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 8:48pm
post #11 of 12

I took the easy way out... but it worked. lol..Mom had a number 8 blue glitter candle for front and center.

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 12

check out Cookie Road in n.y. they have a pic on fb og RI on top of a cake might couldgive them a call I think I will tomorrow have been wanting to do that myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%