Kitchenaid 4.5 Qt Vs 5 Qt

Business By ShandiKakes Updated 27 Dec 2013 , 11:55pm by Narie

ShandiKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 31

Sorry if this has been asked elsewhere, but my mixer just quit on me two days ago! AHH!  It's always this time of year isn't it?

I opted, two years ago, for the BHG 5 qt stand mixer over the KitchenAid solely based on price.  I have not had any issues with it despite a few bad reviews.  I knew it wasn't the quality/durability of a KA, but really expected it to last more than two years. The motor still runs but the part where you attach your beater won't turn.  Hubby tried to look at it and said his best guess was that the gears are stripped. :(

The 4.5 qt is the obviously better priced than the 5 qt, but I'm just wondering if anyone has the 4.5 and if that is a large enough bowl for your needs.  It's kind of hard to image the size difference in my head and since the nearest Walmart to me is 40 miles away, I haven't been out yet to try and see if they have both sizes and what the difference is visually.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!!

30 replies
ladonnaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladonnaa Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 31

AHi. This happened to me a few weeks ago. I have the 5qt kitchenaid mixer and was devastated. I think my issue was caused with mixing batches of fondant in the mixer using the dough hook at a speed higher than two - which I later remembered that the manual said not to do. My husband looked and the gears were also stripped. I said all this to say that you may be able to repair your mixer for a lot less than buying a new one. I was able to order new parts for approximately $12 shipped and my husband replaced them. My mixer is as good as new.

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 31

AOh wow thx! I'll definitely look into that. I would much rather get the KopyKake projector than a mixer for Christmas haha.

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 31

AWell, a quick search and found that replacement parts are not available for this mixer :(.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 3:43pm
post #5 of 31

I have a 4.5 quart.  I've had it for a really long time now...almost 15 years I think.  It's big enough for most things I do, but I don't operate on a commercial level.  If you needed to do a full batch of WASC (with the two cake mixes) that would be a no-go.  Also, the bowl doesn't have a handle on it which I would really like.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 31

AHave you considered refurbished mixers? I've read that there very good for the price...just Google refurbished kitchenaid mixers

kazita Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:04pm
post #7 of 31
ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 31

Thank you so much!  

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:05pm
post #9 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazita 

http://www.thegourmetdepotco.com/kitchenaid/ksm150-artisan-tilt-head-stand-mixer-black-refurbished/?gclid=CJiR-5Le87oCFYs-MgodZGsAXA
That's just one of many I find when I googled refurbished kitchenaid mixers

thanks for that idea!  hadn't even thought about it!!  I'll check it out.

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:09pm
post #11 of 31

that's a great price for the 5 qt! :)  Just emailed the link to the hubs.  haha

kazita Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:11pm
post #12 of 31

AHappy to help...HAPPY BAKING!!

kazita Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:13pm
post #13 of 31

ALol...yep that's what I thought..great price...hope you get it...

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 31

AKitchenaid also sells refurbished mixers directly,

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/more-ways-to-shop-1/outlet-3/102020231/

If you know someone with a Costco card they are selling 6 qts for $289 right now.

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 7:20pm
post #15 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

Kitchenaid also sells refurbished mixers directly,

http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/more-ways-to-shop-1/outlet-3/102020231/

If you know someone with a Costco card they are selling 6 qts for $289 right now.

OK thanks, and WOW!  I think my MIL may have one.  Hmm.... :)

kikiandkyle Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 7:22pm
post #16 of 31

AThe costco ones have a flex edge beater included too.

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 7:38pm
post #17 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by kikiandkyle 

The costco ones have a flex edge beater included too.

I've seen those!  I watched a video on QVC's website this morning.  Looked like it worked pretty well except the back of the bowl wasn't really getting scraped too well.  She turned it into the video so you couldn't see it any more hahaha.  Do you have one?  I'd still get it, I think.  Looked like for the most part, it worked well.

kikiandkyle Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 7:41pm
post #18 of 31

AYes I do have one, I don't use it for everything but it is handy. It does get the edges pretty well, better than the regular beater anyway!

ShandiKakes Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 8:05pm
post #19 of 31

It certainly looked like it was worth having, haha.  

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:00pm
post #20 of 31

I'll speak up for refurbished - I bought a 7 quart refurb direct from Kitchenaid.  My port cover fell off last week (where you hook in the meat grinder, etc.) - it is different than the Artisan model where the hub cover screws in - this one flips up.  Anyway, I called to get a new hub cover, and they sent me out a new refurbished mixer.  My 6 month warranty started all over too!

Great customer service from Kitchenaid!

Liz

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:32pm
post #21 of 31

AI have a refurbished pro line mixer. I've had it for about two years and its never had one single problem. I think it only cost me 190

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 1:09am
post #22 of 31

AI bought a refurbished 4.5 quart 15 years ago and never had a problem. The bowl is too small for most everything I do except fillings. I bought a replacement 5 qt bowl for it. The bottom plate thingy is a little stripped so the bowl wobbles, but I will replace it when it goes out totally. I used it for 3+ batches of cake and 1-2 batches of icing every week since I got it. I have a kitchenaid addiction and own 5 now, and a 12 qrt. Hobart. All were used or reburished and I give them a weekly workout.

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 1:30am
post #23 of 31

As a child, I loved to help my great Aunt make cakes & goodies with her 4.5 KA, and now, 40 some years later, I use it for my baking! It's not great for double batches, and sometimes I have to stir out bubbles in BC but since I just hobby bake, its been a treasured blessing! 

ShandiKakes Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 1:10pm
post #24 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbsmom 

As a child, I loved to help my great Aunt make cakes & goodies with her 4.5 KA, and now, 40 some years later, I use it for my baking! It's not great for double batches, and sometimes I have to stir out bubbles in BC but since I just hobby bake, its been a treasured blessing! 

I love stories like this.  It makes me happy to know that you have such fond memories of your great aunt.  :D

ShandiKakes Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 1:11pm
post #25 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by liz at sugar 

I'll speak up for refurbished - I bought a 7 quart refurb direct from Kitchenaid.  My port cover fell off last week (where you hook in the meat grinder, etc.) - it is different than the Artisan model where the hub cover screws in - this one flips up.  Anyway, I called to get a new hub cover, and they sent me out a new refurbished mixer.  My 6 month warranty started all over too!

Great customer service from Kitchenaid!

Liz

Wow, that's awesome.  I am seriously looking at getting a refurb direct from KA.  Thank you!

chaka1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaka1 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 3:48pm
post #26 of 31

I bought a refurbished KA Professional 600 (6 qt) direct from kitchenaid about 8 years ago now and love it and have not had a single problem. I wanted a 6 qt mainly because of the size of the motor. It is a big mixer and has the lift bowl. Many times items are labeled "refurbished" when they really aren't. Some times the manufacturer made too many, or they are returned from a store that couldn't sell them all or they ordered too many, or various other reasons. In order for the manufacturer to be able to sell them at a cheaper price, they have to label them as refurbished. I'm NOT saying that is always the case. But when I got mine delivered, I opened it up and there was not a scratch, dent, nothing. It works beautifully. I'm sure there are people that have horror stories, but that's true for anything you buy. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished, just make sure you register it and use it a lot during the 6 month warranty period. Good luck.

ShandiKakes Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 11:18am
post #27 of 31

I got the 5 qt Artisan for Christmas!  Woot Woot!!  haha

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 4:35pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShandiKakes 

woot woot-- i think culinary angels gets their wings when a mixer finds a new home--

hahaha!!! :lol: 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 9:03pm
post #29 of 31

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShandiKakes 

Many Happy Baking days ahead.  Somebody loves you!!

I got a snow shovel......Just kidding.

ShandiKakes Posted 27 Dec 2013 , 9:27pm
post #30 of 31

HAHA to you both!  I'm SO happy!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%