When To Bake And Decorate

Decorating By crazymess Updated 22 Nov 2013 , 3:56am by mfeagan

crazymess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymess Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 13

Hi everyone,

I just joined and I think I am over my head in a soon to be cake disaster.  :(  I have three cakes that are due on Saturday and I work at another job full time when should I bake the cakes and then decorate them so they are still tasty come Saturday.  Please step by step would be wonderful.

12 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazymess 

Hi everyone,

I just joined and I think I am over my head in a soon to be cake disaster.  :(  I have three cakes that are due on Saturday and I work at another job full time when should I bake the cakes and then decorate them so they are still tasty come Saturday.  Please step by step would be wonderful.

Are they tiered cakes? I only take on one order a week if they are tiered. I too work a full time job, volunteer at church 2 days a week, and have a 1 year old, so the time for me to make cakes is quite limited. 

I am making a wedding cake for this Saturday…4 tiered. So I am baking today, brushing with simple syrup, wrapping and refrigerating them. 

Tomorrow is my fondant making and buttercream making day. I'll fill and frost the cakes so they have settled for decorating the following day. 

Thursday is a day to start decorating. It's an art deco inspired cake, so very clean lines and geometric decorations. I want to make sure I have 2 evenings to work on it. I will make the most detailed tiers first, then do the less detailed tiers on Friday. Saturday is stacking this cake up in the morning for delivery at 4pm. 

I do all my baking and decorating in the evenings after the baby has gone to bed. It makes for a lot of late nights, but it's the easiest way for me to get everything done. 

HotPink_LipGloss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HotPink_LipGloss Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 13

AI don't know step by step but I know most cakers here bake & freeze(undecorated) even days ahead. As long as you wrap each layer well in plastic wrap. When I have cupcakes with fondant decorations I do them sometimes a week ahead & it's still great(stored in an air right container). They will be too hard to eat but most people I notice don't bother to eat the fondant decor bc they think it's too pretty or will be nasty.

crazymess Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 13

/mfeagan they are not tiered cakes they are my daughters birthday cakes, I am makeing a sheet cake and a 3d turkey with fondant feathers( already made trying to dry out) and a 3d bear that I also have to make.  I am just affraid that I will not have enough time to do all this, but I already comitted to this in my mind, On Saturday there will be no time to do anything so i have now till Friday, But Friday is her actual birthday that I want to be able to chill and relax with her.  Oh the days just don't have enough hours.

Teddy Bear Mini CakeGobble It Up Cake

mfeagan Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 13

You will definitely want to bake both tonight and use a simple syrup to keep them moist. If you have time, frost the sheet cake tonight. It will be fine for Saturday!

The other 3D cakes look like the only fondant you are using is that for the feathers which you already have made. So frosting them should be the only issue. 

So if you can, finish the sheet cake tonight, bake the other 3D cakes (carve whatever you have to carve tomorrow) and decorate them Thursday night.

Just be prepared to have some late nights!!!

crazymess Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 13

/mfeagan

What is a simple syrup?  How do I make and or get this? So then you are suggesting to make all the cakes tonight the two 3d cakes and the sheet cake tonight? then apply the simple syrup to the cakes and wrap them and refrigerate them and take them out on Thursday to start decorating them and they will be okay and moist and ready to go on Saturday?

mfeagan Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 1:30am
post #7 of 13

Simple syrup is equal parts water and sugar just melted together. You can add vanilla extract if you want to flavor it a little…you can really add any flavorings to it if you like! So basically 1/2 cup of each water and sugar, it should be enough. I just use a pastry brush, dip it in and put it on my cakes. 

You can bake all of them tonight. I wouldn't wait until Thursday to start decorating. I would start tomorrow or tonight. You can decorate the sheet cake tonight if it's not too late for you! 

You could wait until Thursday to decorate if you didn't care to have your Friday free. 

The cakes will be fine. Just wrap them in saran wrap very well. The buttercream and/or fondant will seal them after you decorate them. Most bakers don't bake and decorate their cakes right before an event. I would say most do them a few days to even a week out. 

crazymess Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 13

Okay, thank you I will bake them tonight and brush the simple syrup on them.  This is after they have already cooled down right?  Also I very much appreciate your time in this matter.  So after they  cooled downed have the simple syrup on them do I crumb coat them all ( which is just a light icing right)and then Thursday decorate all of them is this all correct in saying.  Thank you again.  any other suggestions?

mfeagan Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 4:32pm
post #9 of 13

Yes. Put the simple syrup on after they have completely cooled. You can crumb coat and decorate any or all of them tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow. They will be perfectly fine for Saturday. 

crazymess Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 3:27pm
post #10 of 13

Okay so I went to bed last night and the cakes were wrapped in cling wrap and set out on the counter.  when I woke up I saw what was posted and I put them in the freezer.  SO tonight when i get home can I take the cakes out of the freezer and ice them and decorate on Friday. But the thing is that there is really no decorating pursay its just all star tipped design on the cakes since they are 3d.  I also have a sheet cake to make, should I do this tonight early and simple syrup and then Freeze and decorate Friday?

Another question that I have if I take the cakes out of the freezer do they need to defrost if so how long.

I wrapped each cake like so:  placed the 3d cake on the cling wrap, placed back in half of the pan and then finished clinged wrapped them really good and sat over night on counter and put in freezer in the morning.  thank you ahead of time

mfeagan Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 2:44am
post #11 of 13

I know it's late! Hope you were able to figure it out! I have been busy with a wedding cake all day! Good luck with your cakes! 

crazymess Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 2:47am
post #12 of 13

ASince I ha e you I appreciate everything I did the cakes and simple sugared them and froze them now I have them defrosting and getting ready to ice at least one of of em for sure what do I do with them after they have been iced and decorated

mfeagan Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 3:56am
post #13 of 13

You can either keep them refrigerated or leave them out as long as what you are using will not spoil. I usually keep mine refrigerated until delivery. It's all in what you prefer. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%