Uk Business - Is A Timber Based Shed Suitable To Run My Business From?

Business By AugustusGloopUK Updated 14 Dec 2013 , 7:41pm by AugustusGloopUK

AugustusGloopUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AugustusGloopUK Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 11:49am
post #1 of 5

Hello all

This is my first EVER forum post so please bear with me! ;)

I am looking as purchasing a timber shed for my cake decorating business. I bake my cakes in my kitchen and was planning on startng to decorate them in an external building as I only have a small kitchen.  I don't know what UK law would say about this. Does anyone else already do this? or have you looked into it? All advise would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Kay x

4 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 12:52pm
post #2 of 5

I think you would have to check with your local council or whoever does your health inspections. But I would be pretty sure you would have to have "washable" walls, floors and ceilings...and since wood is porous it is not considered washable. So you may have to line your shed with something (vinyl/plastic panels or similar I guess would work). Or maybe one of those all plastic ones would save you some hassle. But definitely ring someone official and find out before buying the shed. 

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 5

ADefo call your local environmental health, I'm sure they'll be able to advise really quickly over the phone, they did with me when I was wondering about pets and baking andit put my mind to ease very quickly.

I would expect them to say something along the lines of it being used as a decoration space only- no storage of equipment/materials. I'd also expect them to suggest those stainless worktops with high splashbacks to keep everything away from the walls and a very strict cleaning regeime particularly before every use.

Best of luck :-)

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:23am
post #4 of 5

I don't know whether they'd allow one...  but from a practical point of view I would be worried about the following:

1.  It's unlikely to be insect/rodent proof.

2. damp!  It can be bad enough trying to decorate a cake in the house when it's horrible and damp out...  it would be a nightmare in a shed!

AugustusGloopUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AugustusGloopUK Posted 14 Dec 2013 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 5

AYou have all been such a great help thanks, plans have since changed and I'm hoping I may now have a room in the house! Fingers crossed! :) thanks again x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%