Store Buttercream In Piping Bag

Decorating By MissJoyous Updated 18 Nov 2013 , 8:51pm by mfeagan

MissJoyous Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissJoyous Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:04am
post #1 of 7

HI all! I've been searching through all the other posts but not sure I've found what I'm looking for.

I have recently starting selling my cupcakes & a lot of people are wanting to mix & match flavors ~ which I wasn't going to do... due to storing up different batches of everything. But I figured I'd let it go for the holidays.

SO! I made a buttercream with butter, powdered sugar, cream & flavorings...

What I want to do is just make the large batch I normally do & then store the rest in the piping bag so I'll have it ready for the next time someone wants just 6 or something, when mixing flavors....

Will it store in the fridge in a piping bag & I can just bring it to room temp to use again? Or do I need to re-whip it before I use it?

Thank you guys ~ this site is so helpful! I appreciate all of you sharing your ideas!!

And just for fun ~ here's a picture from a sample tray I served at luncheon over the weekend ~ happy baking everyone!!!

6 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:53am
post #2 of 7

I store mine in piping bags, but if it's longer than a few days, you'll want to re-whip. A better idea is to store your different flavors in ziplock bags. That's what I normally do…either the gallon or quart size. I even freeze them. 

MissJoyous Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 6:04am
post #3 of 7

Yeah, I was thinking either ziplocs or a throw away icing bag... but why do you prefer the ziploc?

It would probably only be a couple days in the fridge at a time... hard to tell what orders will come when, my business is new & I'm still figuring all that out.

MissJoyous Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 6:05am
post #4 of 7

And if you freeze, are you able to just pop it out of the bag? Cuz I'm sure it's gonna need re-whipped after it's frozen.

mfeagan Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:31pm
post #5 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissJoyous 

Yeah, I was thinking either ziplocs or a throw away icing bag... but why do you prefer the ziploc?

It would probably only be a couple days in the fridge at a time... hard to tell what orders will come when, my business is new & I'm still figuring all that out.

I prefer ziplocs because the metal piping tips get really cold and that frosting takes a lot longer to get soft when it is inside the tip. Also - my tips aren't being tied up if I need them for something else! 

The ziplocs can be thawed, then cut a corner off and squeeze into your piping bag when you need the frosting. 

I usually only store enough in a bag that will frost about 6 cupcakes at a time. That way I'm not having to thaw a bunch all at once then refrigerate or freeze again. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissJoyous 

And if you freeze, are you able to just pop it out of the bag? Cuz I'm sure it's gonna need re-whipped after it's frozen.

I usually re-whip after frozen. 

MissJoyous Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for being so helpful. I don't actually leave the tips on when I put them in the fridge... but I'm just trying to cut down on wasting plastic. For instance, moving from a ziploc to a piping bag... But also, when you do freeze in a ziploc, can you get the frosting out while it's still frozen? I'm noticing I'm wasting a lot of frosting trying to transfer these to different bags & such.

I do the same thing with my batter.. and finding I'm not able to get all of that out of a ziploc either.

I'm still learning!

And will have to learn how to divvy up the frosting into proportion sizes I need... that would be ideal to know how much I actually use per order, but I really haven't figured that out yet. Good idea though, I am going to try to figure it out.

Thanks again!

Frosting 500 minis today ~ lots of work to get my business name out in my community!

mfeagan Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 7

You can definitely get the frosting out of the bags when frozen! I just cut a slit down the side then put all of it in my mixing bowl until it thaws out so I can whip it again. 

One thing you can do instead of making batter ahead is cutting your recipes down into 1 doz and 1/2 doz sizes. I know you said you're trying to get away from using lots of plastic bags, but you will have to use quite a bit for this. haha! You would just get some gallon and quart size bags, measure all the dry ingredients into those bags, place a card or just write on the bag what wet ingredients need to be added to that mix. Be sure to write what flavor cake it is on the bag as well. 

This make it a lot easier when you have an order for 1/2 doz cupcakes of one kind and 1/2 of another kind. You don't have any batter not being used and everything is ready to go!!

Have fun with the minis! I just did 300 for a bridal show. I just use a 1M tip and squeeze once and that's it! I don't go fancy on them for the bridal shows when all they are is vultures who want free food. LOL! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%