soldiernurse Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 1:02am
post #1 of

AI made a Hummingbird Cake for work and it was the bomb!! Every raved and argued over the last piece. It was (3) 10 in layers, stacked with pineapple cream cheese in between. I used macsmom Banana Cake WASC with BC Butter Pecan and subbed liquid coffee creamer for the water. It had 6 eggs, banana yogurt, cake flour, etc. I could NOT stop eating the batter!! OMG!!! That stuff was AMAZING!! OK, OK, I'm back, where was I? Oh yes, the cake. When it was sliced, it crumbled. You had to catch it or it would fall to pieces. It was moist. Tasted awesome. What did I not do?? Or did??

[ATTACHMENT=1376]20131113_114412.jpg (180k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3142193/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

22 replies
Lea17 Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:09pm
post #2 of

haven't got an answer ...sorry ................. but omg that cake looks sooooo yummy!!! lol

 

hope someone can help you!

mfeagan Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:46pm
post #3 of

A Hummingbird Cake originated in the south and is traditionally made with the pineapple in the cake itself…not the frosting. I guarantee if you make the real deal, you'll LOVE it! It also doesn't have any regular buttercream on it. It's all done with cream cheese frosting. I'm in Virginia and the people here love Hummingbird Cake. Here is the original recipe…I think it dates back to the 50s or 60s. 

 

Hummingbird Cake

 

3 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple

2 cups chopped pecans, divided (1 cup/1cup)

2 cups chopped bananas

 

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add eggs, and oil and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist - do not beat! Add vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas and mix until combined. Pour batter into 3, well-greased, 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then cool completely on baking racks. 

 

Fill the layers with cream cheese frosting and frost entire cake with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with the other 1 cup chopped pecans. 

soldiernurse Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 9:07pm
post #4 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeagan 
 

A Hummingbird Cake originated in the south and is traditionally made with the pineapple in the cake itself…not the frosting. I guarantee if you make the real deal, you'll LOVE it! It also doesn't have any regular buttercream on it. It's all done with cream cheese frosting. I'm in Virginia and the people here love Hummingbird Cake. Here is the original recipe…I think it dates back to the 50s or 60s.

 

Hummingbird Cake

 

3 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple

2 cups chopped pecans, divided (1 cup/1cup)

2 cups chopped bananas

 

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add eggs, and oil and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist - do not beat! Add vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas and mix until combined. Pour batter into 3, well-greased, 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then cool completely on baking racks.

 

Fill the layers with cream cheese frosting and frost entire cake with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with the other 1 cup chopped pecans.

 

 

 

Yep, I used everything above but added a few changes [coffee creamer/tiny bit of crushed pineapples in frosting] which drove it over the top!!

It was covered in cream cheese icing too.

soldiernurse Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 9:08pm
post #5 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lea17 
 

haven't got an answer ...sorry ................. but omg that cake looks sooooo yummy!!! lol

 

hope someone can help you!

 

 

Thanks! I do too.

soldiernurse Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 1:06am
post #6 of

ABump

Norasmom Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 1:10am
post #7 of

I think I gained 10 pounds just reading the recipe…soooo good.  I am going to try!

mfeagan Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 1:19am
post #8 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiernurse 

I used macsmom Banana Cake WASC with BC Butter Pecan and subbed liquid coffee creamer for the water. It had 6 eggs, banana yogurt, cake flour, etc.

Can you post the exact recipe you used? I'm a little confused since you said you used everything in the recipe I posted but said you used this recipe above. It may help pinpoint what went wrong. It may be with the coffee creamer. Not sure. 

cakefat Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 5:55am
post #9 of

You wrote that you used a WASC banana cake...so this means that you used a box mix and then added coffee creamer to the recipe?

 

I think that's a bit different to the scratch recipe that was posted above..so the results cannot/will not be the same.

soldiernurse Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 3:00pm

My firewall will not let me into the googledocs so cannot post macsmom's Banana Cake recipe..sorry:-( but I followed it exactly except subbing the liquids with coffee creamer as she often suggests. Her recipe has 6 eggs, no oil. Here is the Hummingbird recipe that I used for the "hummingbird part" you know, nuts, pineapple, topping, etc.  I only used the items in red. Yes, I did use 2 box mixes.

 

 

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 eggs      
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple,
drained      20 oz, undrained

2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped black walnuts
 
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1/4 pound butter, softened
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

 
Used KA to mix as normal but hand mixed after adding the fruits. Baked 325 until just able to touch pans then immediately inverted on plastic wrap and covered 3 x's [cakes steamed plastic wrap onto itself], put in ziplocks and refrigerated--took them out cold and decorated.
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 4:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfeagan 
 

A Hummingbird Cake originated in the south and is traditionally made with the pineapple in the cake itself…not the frosting. I guarantee if you make the real deal, you'll LOVE it! It also doesn't have any regular buttercream on it. It's all done with cream cheese frosting. I'm in Virginia and the people here love Hummingbird Cake. Here is the original recipe…I think it dates back to the 50s or 60s.

 

Hummingbird Cake

 

3 cups all purpose flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp salt

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups oil

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple

2 cups chopped pecans, divided (1 cup/1cup)

2 cups chopped bananas

 

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add eggs, and oil and mix just until the dry ingredients are moist - do not beat! Add vanilla, pineapple, pecans and bananas and mix until combined. Pour batter into 3, well-greased, 9 inch cake pans. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes and then cool completely on baking racks.

 

Fill the layers with cream cheese frosting and frost entire cake with cream cheese frosting. Sprinkle the cake with the other 1 cup chopped pecans.

 

This recipe has no baking powder/soda. . . is this correct?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 4:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiernurse 
 

My firewall will not let me into the googledocs so cannot post macsmom's Banana Cake recipe..sorry:-( but I followed it exactly except subbing the liquids with coffee creamer as she often suggests. Her recipe has 6 eggs, no oil. Here is the Hummingbird recipe that I used for the "hummingbird part" you know, nuts, pineapple, topping, etc.  I only used the items in red. Yes, I did use 2 box mixes.

 

 

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups canola oil
3 eggs     
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple,
drained      20 oz, undrained
2 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped black walnuts
 
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
softened
1/4 pound butter, softened
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 
Used KA to mix as normal but hand mixed after adding the fruits. Baked 325 until just able to touch pans then immediately inverted on plastic wrap and covered 3 x's [cakes steamed plastic wrap onto itself], put in ziplocks and refrigerated--took them out cold and decorated.

 

So, you used a 20 oz can of pineapple undrained AND added coffee creamer plus mashed (rather than chopped) bananas, for a total of how much liquid?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 4:45pm

MacsMom's banana cake

 

1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix
6 eggs
2 1/4 c cake flour
2 1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6 oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 c vanilla coffee creamer
1 1/3 c water
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 c butter softened.

 

Plus you added a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with the juice, 2 (more) cups mashed bananas, one cup chopped walnuts and replaced the water with extra coffee creamer?

 

Is this correct?

soldiernurse Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 5:54pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 
 

MacsMom's banana cake

 

1 box banana cake mix
1 box white cake mix
6 eggs
2 1/4 c cake flour
2 1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 pkg banana pudding mix
2 (6 oz) containers banana yogurt
1 1/3 c vanilla coffee creamer
1 1/3 c water
1 Tbsp vanilla
3 very ripe bananas
1/2 c butter softened.

 

Plus you added a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple with the juice, 2 (more) cups mashed bananas, one cup chopped walnuts and replaced the water with extra coffee creamer?

 

Is this correct?

 

 

 

....yep, and I actually used 5 bananas!!:oops:

mfeagan Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 5:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 
 

 

This recipe has no baking powder/soda. . . is this correct?

Yes. It's a very dense cake…more like a pound cake/banana bread. No baking powder or soda. 

mfeagan Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 6:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiernurse 
 

 

 

 

....yep, and I actually used 5 bananas!!:oops:

 

:eek:

 

There was waaaaay too much liquid in that recipe. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to just use the original scratch recipes instead of doctoring up a boxed mix…in your case, 2 boxed mixes! After you added extra flour, sugar, coffee creamer, yogurt and everything else, you would have come out so much cheaper and had a better result with the real recipe. 

 

I am sure it tasted great with all those bananas in it! I just think there was too much liquid and not enough flour to hold it together….I don't know. The ratios were just way off.

 

Try the scratch recipe!! I know you will LOVE it! It's very dense. You only need a really small piece of it, so a 9 inch round cake with the 3 layers will feed about 18 people, if not more. 

 

Please try it and let me know what you think! This way you will know what a real Hummingbird cake is supposed to taste like! :o)

 

Good luck!!!

Kimdarella Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 7:02pm

Thanks for the recipe mfeagan, is the pineapple drained or undrained?

 

 

Looking forward to trying this cake now :)

mfeagan Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 7:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kimdarella 
 

Thanks for the recipe mfeagan, is the pineapple drained or undrained?

 

 

Looking forward to trying this cake now :)

 

Sure!! It's undrained pineapple...sorry!!!

soldiernurse Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 8:15pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfeagan 
 

 

:eek:

 

There was waaaaay too much liquid in that recipe. Sometimes it's easier and cheaper to just use the original scratch recipes instead of doctoring up a boxed mix…in your case, 2 boxed mixes! After you added extra flour, sugar, coffee creamer, yogurt and everything else, you would have come out so much cheaper and had a better result with the real recipe.

 

I am sure it tasted great with all those bananas in it! I just think there was too much liquid and not enough flour to hold it together….I don't know. The ratios were just way off.

 

Try the scratch recipe!! I know you will LOVE it! It's very dense. You only need a really small piece of it, so a 9 inch round cake with the 3 layers will feed about 18 people, if not more.

 

Please try it and let me know what you think! This way you will know what a real Hummingbird cake is supposed to taste like! :o)

 

Good luck!!!

 

 

ok, I'll try it...will probably make both but replace (1) of the coffee creamers with the pineapple juice..which would equal out to the original liquid but how do I keep my 5 bananas???!!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2013 , 9:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by soldiernurse 
 

 

 

ok, I'll try it...will probably make both but replace (1) of the coffee creamers with the pineapple juice..which would equal out to the original liquid but how do I keep my 5 bananas???!!

 

 

Try just chopping the bananas (or just some of them) into about 1/2 inch chunks rather than mashing them.  Then fold them in at the very end so they don't get mashed.

 

My own hummingbird cake recipe is exactly the same as my carrot cake recipe.  I just switch out the walnuts for pecans and chunked up bananas for the carrots.  I fold in the bananas at the very end.  It does make a very moist cake even though all the liquid comes from oil and eggs with no other liquids added (the pineapple has to be fairly well drained), and I can see where it would fall apart if there was any more liquid added than the oil and eggs the recipe calls for.

Kimdarella Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfeagan 
 

 

Sure!! It's undrained pineapple...sorry!!!

 

 

Great thanks for clarifying, soooo excited to try this, unfortunately will have to be next week, due to work commitments, but I shall let you know how it turns out if you like :D

mfeagan Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 2:41pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimdarella 
 

 

 

Great thanks for clarifying, soooo excited to try this, unfortunately will have to be next week, due to work commitments, but I shall let you know how it turns out if you like :D

I think you will LOVE it!!

 

And please do let me know what you think! That recipe has been used since the 50s and the little old ladies around here still make it! :)

anavillatoro1 Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 3:28pm

ASounds dilicius, love old recipes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%