Fondant Is Very Sticky, I Think My Frosting Was Too Cold...will It Dry Up?

Decorating By Spring24 Updated 18 Nov 2013 , 2:50pm by Spring24

Spring24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spring24 Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 6

ASo I was a little tired this morning when I started my cake and kind of just jumped into it. Basically, my cake was cold and the icing I put over the crumb coat and under my fondant was still cold from the fridge, so I'm getting very sticky fondant. It's been about 2.5 hours and its still very sticky. This is being picked up in about 3ish hours. Does anyone know if it should dry out by then? Making another one just isn't an option. Eesh.

Thank you!

5 replies
CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

I always cover cakes that are cold unless it has ganache under the fondant. May be you have a humidity problem, just a guess.

Spring24 Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 6

AI always cover my cakes cold, but my icing is normally room temperature. It was almost like instant moisture after it was covered. Argh! My decorations are sticking to it by themselves, I guess that's a plus! Haha!

CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 6

lol Thats very strange, it should dry tho. Good Luck!

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:18am
post #5 of 6

Hi, I know I am too late to help today, but this also happened to me.  Then I remembered icing rule #1, keep it cool & dry, so I put a fan on it, and it dried up nicely, no more 'tacky to touch'.  Might help another time.

Spring24 Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 6

I actually did just that!  I turned my ceiling fan on high and just left it alone.  The top center was still a little tacky, but the rest was fine!  Thank you!  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%