Buttercream Suggestions/troubleshooting?

Decorating By feyaya Updated 16 Nov 2013 , 8:41pm by ddaigle

feyaya Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 3

AHi guys, I'm new to this forum! I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on a buttercream frosting. I'll be making a wedding cake and I really want the frosting to be darn near perfect. My favorite recipe calls for 1 cup butter, but I'm worried that it will not be stable enough to ice and decorate the cake with it. So I decided to go with a different recipe (Bunnywoman's BC), which calls for both shortening and butter. However, whenever I make this kind, it's always gritty. When I cream together the butter and shortening, it's perfectly smooth. It isn't until I add the powdered sugar that it becomes gritty and kinda lumpy. I figured it could be my sugar, since I only whisked and not sifted it. However, I have sifted in the past with this recipe, yet it still happens. On top of that, the icing comes out extremely soft and separate-y, even though my butter wasn't too soft.

So should I just use a different recipe? Or am I doing something wrong with this one? I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

2 replies
MBalaska Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 3

Feyaya: Welcome to the forum.  Use the search button up above and read the threads on BC.

that's a good place to start, then make a couple of recipes to find what you like.

ddaigle Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 3

I used to use a butter/crisco recipe.  The grit is from your powdered sugar.   There are different brands that give different results.   When I used that recipe, I creamed my crisco until smooth like sour cream...then added the butter and again, creamed until all smooth.    If your icing is too soft, then you need to add more powdered sugar..or less liquid.   I use a 2 1lb bag of PS to a cup of butter & a cup of shortening.   Liquid varies to your consistency desired, but probably about 1/4 - 1/2 cup. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%