Making Fondant Vs Premade

Decorating By pehumphrey89 Updated 17 Nov 2013 , 3:33pm by pehumphrey89

pehumphrey89 Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 9:24pm
post #1 of 13

AI'm making a cake that will involve painting the fondant. Last time I painting fondant I wasn't happy with the results. I purchased the wilton premade fondant (keep in mind this was just small decorations I was painting at the time). I'm wondering if homemade fondant would be better if painting it. This time it will be a 18X25 sheet cake that looks like a Fireball Whiskey bottle. The cake itself will be covered in buttercream and then the whiskey lable on the front of the bottle will be made of fondant and I will be painting the lable. So much of the top of the cake will be covered in fondant so I want a fondant that won't dry hard fast because it will take atleast a day or 2 for me to paint it before I put it on the cake.... I don't want people chewing on hard fondant and I want a fondant that is easy to paint. Also which is better... MMF or BCF?

12 replies
Paperfishies Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 11:18pm
post #2 of 13

AI love Fondx. Not a huge fan of MMF.

pehumphrey89 Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 2:47pm
post #3 of 13

AThanks! Do you know where I can buy that? This cake has to be done by this next Friday, probably not enough time to order anything online.

AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 13

I mix 2 lbs of Wilton with 2 lbs of Duff from Michael's (use a coupon).  It stays flexible without drying out and crumbling.  I agree with paperfishies on the MMF.

Paperfishies Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 13

A

Original message sent by pehumphrey89

Thanks! Do you know where I can buy that? This cake has to be done by this next Friday, probably not enough time to order anything online.

The cheapest place I have found Fondx is from sweetwise.com it's usually $27.99 from there for 10 pounds and that 10 pounds goes a VERY long way. They ship it UPS and I usually get it within 2 days. I also love the taste and texture of it.

pehumphrey89 Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 13

AI've read a lot of good reviews for Duff. I know they sell it at Michaels. It's way expensive but I found a 40% off coupon for Michaels. Has anyone ever tried that type of fondant?

Psyched baker Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:38pm
post #7 of 13

I make my own fondant and had been using MMF but recently made MFF (Michele Foster's Fondant) and really like the way it looked on the cake. It sounds like you only need a little fondant to do the label? You could easily make a small batch of either the MMF or the MFF for this. I find that they don't dry out fast. I haven't tried using the premade fondants as I only like to work from scratch so I can't weigh in there.

jenmat Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 13

What are you using to paint? I find that the paint is usually more the issue than the fondant. 

pehumphrey89 Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 13

AYea, it's not a whole lot of fondant. After much practice I was able to get buttercream almost perfectly smooth and like the taste better so when I use fondant its usually just small decorations. I have never tried making fondant so I'm afraid to try with the fear that i will mess up... from research it's easy for it to not turn out right if you don't know what you're doing. I will try to make some another time when I have more time. Also has anyone ever painted fondant? I found where someone does it with airbrush paints but without the airbrush. Is that better than gel with vodka or powder color and vodka?

pehumphrey89 Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 13

A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmat 

What are you using to paint? I find that the paint is usually more the issue than the fondant. 

Last time I tried painting fondant I was using powder colors and vodka (that came out grainy when it dried) and then I used wilton gel colors and vodka. It was tacky to the touch even after letting dry for days and after many layers it still looked streaky. I've hear americolor gels work well but no where I can find sells them and I don't want to order them online and they not get here in time. I grabbed a bottle of duff airbrush paint (i read someone said they paint right out of the bottle because its already diluted) and they really like it. So I am going to test that.

jenmat Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by pehumphrey89 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenmat 

Last time I tried painting fondant I was using powder colors and vodka (that came out grainy when it dried) and then I used wilton gel colors and vodka. It was tacky to the touch even after letting dry for days and after many layers it still looked streaky. I've hear americolor gels work well but no where I can find sells them and I don't want to order them online and they not get here in time. I grabbed a bottle of duff airbrush paint (i read someone said they paint right out of the bottle because its already diluted) and they really like it. So I am going to test that.

Yes, sounds like the issue was not the fondant, but the paints. I'm not a painting expert, AT ALL. But I have used the airbrush colors with success. You have to be careful though, airbrush color is very loose and it will run or soak into the fondant and make spider marks if you use too much. Make sure to tap off the excess. 

I would maybe ask on the forums the different mediums people use to paint and see what answers you get. I also know that everclear is better than vodka for any kind of painting project. 

costumeczar Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 12:34am
post #12 of 13

I did an article on painting on fondant the last time I did a painted cake, so here are some tips http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2013/05/tips-for-painting-on-cakes.html

I use homemade fondant (not marshmallow fondant) and I sometimes mix candy clay with it to make it more pliable and slow the drying time. Duff fondant is basically the same thing but it has some kind of nasty chemical aftertaste. I used it once and I didn't like the taste, personally.

pehumphrey89 Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 13

AThanks for the responces! I tested the airbrush paints on a peice of fondant this morning and love it! After letting it sit for about 5 minutes it was almost dry. Only one coat and its laying perfectly. With the gel/vodka it was tacky even days later and was streaky even after numerous coats. I think i've found what works best for me. It's nice to just pour a little into a painting palette and not have to do anything other than take brush to fondant! Plus I don't have to struggle with the temptation to drink the vodka ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%