Cake Pop Sticks To Secure Flowers To Fondant Cakes

Decorating By Karen BB Updated 20 Dec 2013 , 1:18am by Karen BB

Karen BB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen BB Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 6:54pm
post #1 of 5

AI have read several threads where Decorators express concern about using things like toothpicks and coffee stir sticks either with or without royal icing, to secure gumpaste flowers to cakes. I have managed to find small cake pop sticks and was contemplating using them on an upcoming wedding cake to secure my gumpaste flowers. They are white so they will hide well, they are obviously fine to insert into food/cake, and they are strong enough to hold the flower even when it is hung upside down during the drying stages of the flower's construction. My question is whether or not anyone else has done this before and whether or not the results were positive? Thanks!

4 replies
blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 3:59am
post #2 of 5

Short of finding something totally edible, they sound fine.

The toothpick issue is both the wood, and the points, of course.  Can be dangerous.  You have taken care of that problem.

I have often thought of piping nice thick royal icing sticks, just to try, but never got around to it.

I have used things like thin pretzels, or hard taffy cut into strips,(there are so many candies out there that will work here) on some cakes, to either attach, or just support, some flowers on the sides of a cake.  These can be coated in white chocolate as needed.  And they are edible and taste good!

Just drizzling the white chocolate on parchment into the shape you need might work.  It can get pretty hard, and might do the job, if thick enough, as long as it is not allowed to get warm enough to melt. lol

I also use Tootsie Rolls, (they come small & big), or the long thick old fashioned pretzels, as tree trunks(covered in chocolate fondant, or dipped in chocolate).  They can also be put inside of big or tall figures/features for a support base so they don't sag or try to bend.

Just going for a few ideas here to keep it all edible. lol

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

AI have used plastic skewers that were about the same size as a cake pop stick. I used them for ribbon roses. It worked fine. A bit more clunky than wire, but nice not to have to worry about inserting straws, etc. (the sticks I used were actually the plastic skewers that you get in an edible arrangement.)

Karen BB Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 12:07am
post #4 of 5

AThe cakes are all done and at the wedding. I used the cake pop sticks to insert and secure my roses. I put a very little bit of royal icing on the cake and then slid them in. Worked like a charm![IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3145128/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Karen BB Posted 20 Dec 2013 , 1:18am
post #5 of 5

AI used the cake pop sticks for one of the three satellite cakes I made for a wedding this Fall. They worked out extremely well and there was no stress or guilt (which other posts have indicated that folks experience with toothpicks or things like coffee stir sticks). The cake pop sticks were sturdy and trimmed very well. The bride was also able to remove and preserve the flowers as a souvenir. I did this on two additional birthday cakes since then. I highly recommend using them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%