Suggestions For My 30Th Cake

Baking By Woodybakes Updated 17 Nov 2013 , 4:23pm by AnnieCahill

Woodybakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Woodybakes Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 14

Hi,

I'm new to the site and to the baking world as well. I've started my passion for cakes and cupcakes when I decided to make my daughter's 1 birthday cake two years ago, and then it continued on since. Now I make cakes for all my family and I hope one day to earn from this passion for the cakes.

I have my 30th party in a week time and I'd like to show case my work to my friends :D. So I found a nice cake decorated by fondant roses on google pic that I'd like to make for my 30th in a week time, any ideas what kind of reasonably easy cake should I make and the recipe please? 

So far I've used ready packed cake mix but I was thinking of carrot cake, or chocolate cake that would go with fondant roses decoration as the one in the link bellow.

I appreciate all suggestions. 

Thanks

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m8AQFwOH1qg/Tj1xdOmHaBI/AAAAAAAAE2U/sN34VcA0ki4/s400/3tiers%20sorbet%20coloreded%20cake%20w%20fondant%20roses%20by%20fancy%20nancy%20at%20weddingmagazinedotcodotuk.jpg

13 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 14

A carrot cake is nice if you've never baked from scratch.  Anything with oil like red velvet or carrot would be good.  The cake is pretty, I wish you luck in doing it!

dlyoung Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlyoung Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:33pm
post #3 of 14

Edna's carrot cake at http://www.designmeacake.com/id148.html is delicious.  I used it for a wedding cake, shower cake and birthday cakes.  I usually don't put nuts in it because of allergies.  Friends have said it was their favourite cake.  All Edna's cakes are wonderful!  I experimented with three or four recipes before I tried this one.  

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 14

Mine doesn't have any extras in the batter, just carrots.  I then make praline pecans on the stove and edge the cake in them.  Diabetes extravaganza.

Woodybakes Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:17pm
post #5 of 14

AThank you for the answers.

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:25pm
post #6 of 14

I just wish you weren't making your own birthday cake. Your birthday is supposed to be a time to do nothing and let other pamper you! But you're sure to have exactly what you want!!! haha!

:D

Woodybakes Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 14

AHaha (mfeagan) no one is interested in making the cake I want!! Plus I want to present my work to friends and family... Kind of showing off :)

AnnieCahill Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 4:22pm
post #8 of 14

My ideal cake is one I don't make.  I love Costco cakes.  True story.  LOL!

But I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheesecake!

mfeagan Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 5:24pm
post #9 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

My ideal cake is one I don't make.  I love Costco cakes.  True story.  LOL!

But I LOVE LOVE LOVE cheesecake!

We don't have a Costco, but I have my mom who bakes really well!!!

I'm with you on the cheesecake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodybakes 

Haha (mfeagan) no one is interested in making the cake I want!! Plus I want to present my work to friends and family... Kind of showing off icon_smile.gif

Haha!!!

Woodybakes Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 14

AHere in Australia we don't have that many Costco. However, there's a new one in the progress of opening near me. Not sure what they have there and not sure how are their cake taste like !!! I orginally wanted to make 2 choc layers and in the middle cheese cake!! Not sure where I can find the recipe at least for the cheesecake layer?????

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 12:51pm
post #11 of 14

AMost here would probably say the cakes aren't good, lol, but it's what I grew up with so there's that.

So you want to have a tier of the cake as cheesecake covered in fondant or two chocolate layers filled with cheesecake? The latter is much easier than the former. Let me know and I can help.

Woodybakes Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 1:13pm
post #12 of 14

Hi AnnieCahill, 

I'd like to make one fondant cake covered with roses and it's going to have three layers. Two choc layer and a cheesecake layer that is in the middle. Some people said that it might be a very rich cake, so what do you think? 

I don't know if it's going to be easy to put the cheesecake layer on top of the choc layer!! 

Tomorrow I'm going to start on making the little roses which I'm going to put on the finished cake by a toothpick (hope this technique is going to work :grin:).

Thank you for your replies :) 

mfeagan Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 2:08pm
post #13 of 14

I think the idea is awesome! The Cheesecake Factory restaurant makes a lot of cakes like that. You bake the cheesecake separate in the same size pan. Lining with parchment paper is probably best way to get it out…not sure what kind of pans you have! 

Anyway…I think the cakes I have eaten that have the cheesecake layers in them also have layers of mousse. Mmmmmm!!!!

AnnieCahill Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 4:23pm
post #14 of 14

ACheck out Woodland Bakery's blog. She bakes all of her cheesecakes in regular cake pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%