Price For Undecorated Sugar Cookie! Help

Baking By NCYCKS Updated 22 Nov 2013 , 5:31pm by GeminiRJ

NCYCKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NCYCKS Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:40am
post #1 of 8

AHow much would you charge for a 4" sugar cookie shaped gingerbread boy/girl? My sons school asked me to make a few hundred for a craft fair for the holidays. Admission will be charged so as she told me " you're not doing it for charity".

7 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:50am
post #2 of 8

between $2.00 and $2.50.  I tend to charge less for school-related events such as craft fairs.  It's not for charity but is it for the school?

Decorated I charge $4.00.

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:51am
post #3 of 8

As a consumer, I would expect to pay no less than a dollar, but probably no more than three dollars, with my inclination to pay closer to three dependent upon how the cookie looks (i.e., nice, crisp shape, or a cookie that spread a bit too much).  As a baker, I find that the time I spend baking the cookies is minimal and the ingredient costs low.  It's the labor that drives up the cost of a nice cut out decorated cookie.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 4:12am
post #4 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCOhio 

"..........I find that the time I spend baking the cookies is minimal and the ingredient costs low.  It's the labor that drives up the cost of a nice cut out decorated cookie.

SPCOhio:  too true !

NCYCKS:  If your doing UNDECORATED sugar cookies.  Hurrah, lucky you.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:06pm
post #5 of 8

You should cost out your recipe and find out what your costs really are. If I recall correctly using the NFSC recipe it cost me about .10 per 3 inch cookie unfrosted, plus labor and overhead. hth

NCYCKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NCYCKS Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks everyone!   SPC Ohio, that is exactly how I feel!  The cookies are nothing to bake and the cost for ingredients is low (especially around the holidays!).  I charged $1.00 per cookie and  $.50 for a 1/2 cup of frosting (not royal).  I'm not making a huge profit which is totally okay!  I just wasn't sure how to get the price right so I could do them without being too high to drive away business and too low to screw myself.  Thanks again!

Psyched baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Psyched baker Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 7:25pm
post #7 of 8

AI think a dollar each was a good price to go with because you are not decorating them. Four inches is large so you could probably get away with 1.50 to 2 dollars undecorated. Given that they ordered three hundred, I think the price is fair to you and them.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Nov 2013 , 5:31pm
post #8 of 8

The most important thing is that you are happy with the price you got. For me, where I live, I'm lucky to get $2 for a decorated cookie! And even then, my cookies are referred to as "those expensive cookies". Sigh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%