Help With Black And Red Fondant!!

Decorating By jumjum Updated 25 Nov 2013 , 2:50pm by CherriesonTop

jumjum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 7:46pm
post #1 of 18

AI really want to make my boys birthday cake this upcoming January, but I really need some advise from the pros on pre-made black and red fondant.

I have made MMF before but only in pastel colors and I read that it is really hard to get deep colors, I really dont mind buying the fondant as long as it tastes good, so any help with brands of fondant? where can I buy it from? Also I would like a 2 tier cake for aprox. 100 servings, what sizes do you suggest?

Thank you in advance :-)

17 replies
morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 18

AThere's a chart on the Wilton website that tells you how many people each cake serves. I don't know how the sizes right off the bat.

Satin Ice is probably the best brand that's going to be readily accessible. But, if you live near a cake decorating store, or you don't mind ordeing online alot of people like fondarrific or fondx.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 8:12pm
post #3 of 18

AThere's also a chart that tells you how much fondant you need

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 18

I always buy red and black pre colored. I find adding enough gel paste to get them to the right hue compromises taste and/or consistency. Read the following, she usually has great advice.

http://reviewsbyacaketoremember.blogspot.com/2012/03/fondarific-fondant-review-part-1.html

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 1:29am
post #5 of 18

I would not do only 2 tiers for that many people. If you do only 2 tiers it will either be an 8" and 16" which will feed about 97 people or a 10" and 16" which will feed 105 people and both sizes would look super odd.  I would either do 3 tiers or 4 tiers.  For 3 tiers it would need to be 6",10" and 14" and four tiers would be 6",8",10" and 12".  I also use MMF and hate doing black and red so I buy both whenever I do need it but I try to do cakes I have to cover entirely in either color because they are harder to work with (at least in my experience).  So I usually get it at my local Michaels or Hobby Lobby since I can use a coupon and buy either Duffs(which I think is Satin Ice) or Wilton.

jumjum Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:48am
post #6 of 18

AThank you to all of you, I had that same tought of the flavor changing due to all that food coloring, not to mention that I wouldn't like all my guests to have red/black tounges, teeth, mouth etc. LOL.

Im very sorry, I wasn't clear on the tiers I'm making two 2 tier cakes (one batman and the other spiderman theme) I'm terrible at calculating sizes/servings :-( Do you think both cakes with a 6" and 8" will do? If not I can always bake some cupcakes I just dont want anyone left behind ...

and Since I do have to cover the complete cake in Black and the other in red I'm defintely buying the fondant .. I will probably only be making the yellow fondant for the details.

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 16 Nov 2013 , 3:28am
post #7 of 18

AI have made marshmallow fondant black and red before by using some wilton candy melts in red and black. I throw them in the microwave to melt then mix them into the marshmallows after they are melted and that gives me a good base of color to start with so that I don't have to add so much coloring. Use Americolor's Super Red and Super Black if you have it for best results. See the Minnie Mouse cake in my gallery, as well as the Viking helmet cake for an example.

bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jumjum Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 18

A

Original message sent by SPCOhio

I have made marshmallow fondant black and red before by using some wilton candy melts in red and black. I throw them in the microwave to melt then mix them into the marshmallows after they are melted and that gives me a good base of color to start with so that I don't have to add so much coloring. Use Americolor's Super Red and Super Black if you have it for best results. See the Minnie Mouse cake in my gallery, as well as the Viking helmet cake for an example.

wow beautiful cakes! Thank you for the advise, I would have never thought of that.

How much candy melts to you add to 1 batch?? Do you use wilton candy melts? :-)

jumjum Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 18

A[quote name="bikemom3" url="/t/765819/help-with-black-and-red-fondant#post_7463569"][here's a tutorial http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.com/2010/11/recipe-red-marshmallow-fondant-mmf.html[/quote]

seems that the link no longer exists :-(

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 2:35pm
post #11 of 18

AIt's working fine for me. That is my preferred method for making bold fondant too, I also recommend using Americolor rather than Wilton gels for red and black.

CherriesonTop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherriesonTop Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 18

I make my own MMF in Black and Red. I also use the sugar sweet cakes and treats for the red as bikemom3 suggested. However for the black I only use Americolor super black and I have never had a problem. I recently made a gothic cake for a wedding and here is what my colors looked like. Good Luck :)

Red Velvet cake with chocolate ganache covered in fondant.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 18

ABlack is even easier if you start with chocolate fondant, or add cocoa powder to it. It cuts down on the amount of color you need to add.

SPCOhio Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 8:42pm
post #14 of 18

AJumjum, I do use Wilton candy melts and I use about 4 oz per batch of fondant, sometimes a little more. Don't add to much, though, as it will change the consistency of your fondant and could cause you some surprises you aren't ready to deal with when fulfilling an order! :) Start with 4 oz and go from there. And as another poster mentioned, starting with chocolate fondant to get to black is a great idea. I did that with the ninja cake in my gallery. I just put in 8 oz of melted chocolate into my melted marshmallows. I did find the chocolate fondant tough to roll out, but that may have been due to the temperature in my kitchen that day as well. The fondant smoother DID NOT like the chocolate fondant at all. It kept sticking. On the up side, I had very minimal tearing with the chocolate fondant.

Thank you for the compliment! I still have so much to learn ....

jumjum Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 3:50pm
post #15 of 18

A

Original message sent by CherriesonTop

I make my own MMF in Black and Red. I also use the sugar sweet cakes and treats for the red as bikemom3 suggested. However for the black I only use Americolor super black and I have never had a problem. I recently made a gothic cake for a wedding and here is what my colors looked like. Good Luck :) [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3128242/]Red Velvet cake with chocolate ganache covered in fondant. [/URL]

Thank you! I just hope my cakes come out half as nice as yours. Now I want to give red and black MMF a try :-) . I will make a test batch and probably make a X-mas cake. ;-) good excuse for eating cake lol ;-)

SPCOhio Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 18

A

Original message sent by CherriesonTop

I make my own MMF in Black and Red. I also use the sugar sweet cakes and treats for the red as bikemom3 suggested. However for the black I only use Americolor super black and I have never had a problem. I recently made a gothic cake for a wedding and here is what my colors looked like. Good Luck :) [URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3128242/]Red Velvet cake with chocolate ganache covered in fondant. [/URL]

That is a very interesting wedding cake topper.

CherriesonTop Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 18

Good luck I'm sure it will turn out great. Post a pic when your done. I would love to see it. :) 

CherriesonTop Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 2:50pm
post #18 of 18

Quote:

That is a very interesting wedding cake topper.

SPCOhio, I thought the same thing, the bride supplied the wedding cake topper :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%