Convection Oven

Decorating By Marielijah Updated 18 Nov 2013 , 11:48pm by Marielijah

Marielijah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marielijah Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 7

Hi Baking Buddies ~ I need some advice regarding my convection oven.  I baked a cake last night and was very disappointed.  The recipe said to bake for 45 minutes on 325 which I did.  After 45 minutes I opened the oven to check it and it was not done.  I tried again after 20 more minutes and still not done.  The center was still shaky.  It then started to sink in the middle and after 15 more minutes, it was done but with a sinkhole right in the center.  What am I doing wrong?  Not that it matters but the recipe was for a chocolate WASC which tasted delicious by the way.

6 replies
Marielijah Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marielijah 

Hi Baking Buddies ~ I need some advice regarding my convection oven.  I baked a cake last night and was very disappointed.  The recipe said to bake for 45 minutes on 325 which I did.  After 45 minutes I opened the oven to check it and it was not done.  I tried again after 20 more minutes and still not done.  The center was still shaky.  It then started to sink in the middle and after 15 more minutes, it was done but with a sinkhole right in the center.  What am I doing wrong?  Not that it matters but the recipe was for a chocolate WASC which tasted delicious by the way.

Forgot to mention... It was an 8"x3" square pan.  I didn't use a flower nail in the center but I have done so in the past and still I manage to somehow get a sinkhole.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 7

What does your manual say about cake-baking ? can the convection be turned off ? That deep and that style of cake - I would say 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours ... 

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 4:58am
post #4 of 7

I use 'The Baker's Wedding Cake Chart', 3" deep pans, and it reads:

Pan Shape- Square,

Pan Size- 8",

Amount Batter- 6 1/2 cups,

Baking Temp.-350 degrees F,

Baking Time - 35-40 minutes,

Icing Amount- 4 1/2 cups,

Servings per 2 Layers: 25.

I use an oven thermometer.

I let the oven heat about 20 extra minutes once it reaches the correct temperature.

I also use about 5 'nails' per cake. 

And I too have trouble getting them done in the allotted time frame.  Go figure!

So thank goodness for the simple syrup brush on to remoisten them.

I like auzzi's cooking times better, more realistic-lol

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 5:38am
post #5 of 7

It was chocolate? I did a big chocolate cake in a convection oven this weekend, it too took a long time for the center to cook.. but it didnt sink... I turned the temp down and just kept adding minutes until the center was done. But the corners were a bit hard. Someone told me chocolate cakes have that  issue in convection. Wish I could help more, just sharing that you aren't the only one!

Marielijah Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 11:47pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you for your help...  I tried baking another cake this weekend and had success.  I think the problem was that I was opening the oven too soon to check the cake and letting the cold air in.  I baked a cake and didn't open the oven until it was time to take it out.

Marielijah Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 11:48pm
post #7 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marielijah 

Thank you for your help...  I tried baking another cake this weekend and had success.  I think the problem was that I was opening the oven too soon to check the cake and letting the cold air in.  I baked a cake and didn't open the oven until it was time to take it out.

Oh yeah, it took quite a while to bake too...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%