Bottom Layer Tiers - Please Help

Decorating By tal Updated 13 Nov 2013 , 2:52pm by tal

tal Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 8

Hello CC!

I am posting a pic of a cake wherein I'd like to use the bottom 6" cakes in an upcoming wedding cake (2 weeks).

My thought was to use 6 (?) bottom cakes instead of a 12" round, but how do I support the upper tiers?  I planned on 12" 10" 8" 6" ?

Thank you so much!

tal

7 replies
daugaardsam Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 8

Tal,

That cake is gorgeous! I use the cake stackers system, they have a website cakestackers.com

I hope this helps!

doramoreno62 Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 10:14am
post #4 of 8

CWR41 is correct. That is exacrly how I doweled this cake. a styrofoam dummy in the hollow center will add so much more stability

tal Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you all so much!  I might be confused so let me reiterate about the dowels in the satellite cakes:

Styrofoam center (basically holds the tier above?)

6 or 7 6" satellites

if using large dowel, 1 dowel where the top of the 6" satellite meets the bottom of the (edge) of the styrofoam center?

if using small dowel, 2 dowels...

doramoreno62 Posted 12 Nov 2013 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 8

Yes! That's how I did it. Just make sure the dowels are actually placed inside the 6" cake and not in between the cake and styro dummy. I know that is just a drawing, but just trying to clarify.

CWR41 Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 1:23am
post #7 of 8

What dora said.  You need to decide how many 6" satellite cakes you'll be using... you first said 6, then 6 or 7, and your drawing shows 8.  Your 12" round won't overlap your satellites the more you add and you won't get the same look at a point (the more you add, you'd have to use a larger round than the 12").

tal Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 8

Yes Dora, just a drawing but the dowels won't be in that 'exact' position.  Thank you!

CWR.....it was just a drawing; doing it roughly to get an idea of the dowel concept/look; I'm only using 6-6" satellites...thahk you.ll

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%