Home Bakery Business Hours

Business By DisneyDreamer Updated 11 Nov 2013 , 4:53pm by Norasmom

DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 8

my question is for those who bake out of your home. Do you set hours for phone calls? Lately i have been getting blasted with calls from people later at night. I don't mind it but, i just got a really pissed off costumer who tried calling me four times last night. I was out for the night dinner and a movie with my mom. call me selfish but after spending 300 on play tickets i wanted to enjoy my night and not talk "shop". she then facebooked me with her order and a long statement about how i should answer my phone when customers call. I always try to answer my cell when i can give the customer my utmost attention. Anybody have a better solution? I just got a google phone number after all this happend. but thats a voicemail only thing so i could hit the same problem again. thanks 

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 8

AI don't answer the phone after 5pm, that's what the answering machine is for.

If someone was that much of pain in the butt i wouldn't even do a cake for her, it wouldn't be worth dealing with her. If she's tying to get hold of you on facebook you could always post your business hours on Facebook so that it's front and center for people.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 8

AGoogle Voice allows you to set which hours you want to be available, any calls you receive after your set hours will be sent directly to voicemail so this should solve your problem.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with costumeczar (of course)

Someone who has that little respect for you and feels the need to lecture you will have very little respect for your policies, pickup times and payment deadlines. That's a big red flag. 

My machine directs people to email. It's how I prefer to do business. I rarely answer my phone at all, and never after 5pm or before 9am. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 8

ADoes she take work phone calls at all hours of the night? I doubt it.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 8

ASame here, I'd explain my hours of operation and tell her that I'm booked. If her date was for less than 6 weeks away I would let her know that (insert the name of the he most expensive bakery in town) was much better equipped than I at handling last minute orders.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8

Facebook her back and tell her you are unavailable to do her order and wish her luck finding someone else who can accommodate her.  No other explanation.  She's being extremely disrespectful and it isn't worth dealing with her.

My voice mail says something along the lines of I'm busy baking right now but feel free to either leave me a message or send me an email and I will get back to you within 24 hours.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, just leave a voicemail greeting that says I'm busy baking at the moment but will get back to you within 24 hours.  When you are out and about, shut your phone off or set it to vibrate.  Also, on your Facebook page set some hours of operation up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%