Painting Candy Melts?

Decorating By MsMartha Updated 11 Nov 2013 , 2:52pm by patticake1951

MsMartha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsMartha Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 3:28pm
post #1 of 10

I want to use a plastic mold to make dentures for a cake topper. Will it work if I pour white candy melts in, let cool, pop out, and then paint desired gum color pink with luster dust and everclear?  I will leave the teeth the original white.  I have never painted candy melts before.  Any advice?

9 replies
Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 10

I've never had any luck painting on candy melts.  The paint (vodka and luster dust) always seems to bead up.

You could probably paint with white chocolate though, thin it out with some shortening.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:53pm
post #3 of 10

AFor my own wedding I had passed out painted chocolates for favors. I used colored melts and painted the colors directly into the molds and then just filled with whatever flavor. HTH.

MsMartha Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks,  PastrybagLady.  What brand/type of color did you use to paint directly into the molds?

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 10

I usually color some of the candy melts separately a light pink and do the teeth white, putting the teeth in first. After it sets up some, then do the gums, It gives it a more uniform look to me

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 7:03am
post #6 of 10

AYou can also use fondant in your mold, dust lightly before, pop in the freezer then pop it out

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 9:02am
post #7 of 10

A[quote name="MsMartha" url="/t/765609/painting-candy-melts#post_7461849"]Thanks,  PastrybagLady.  What brand/type of color did you use to paint directly into the molds? [/

Way back then all I knew about were the candy melts at Michael's, but they worked great with the painting. I used the brown, red and white. The dentures by the above poster look amazing. Do whatever they did!

patticake1951 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 10

thanks pastrybaglady, I made these for a 60th birthday party, and I had to go to the dentist a few days after I made these. I had dentures made for myself right before this. Since  had some extras that didn't turn out just right[I didn't get the gums thick enough] so they had some holes in them. I told the receptionist in there that I had problems with them and they were broken!! She took them and sowed the dentist. LOL cause she thought they were real! It was so funny. I gave them 3 sets. The dentist took a picture of them with his phone and sent it to someone else..

MsMartha Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 10

I took your advice Patticake and it worked perfectly!  Thank you!  And thanks to everyone else for their input.  Here is a picture of my denture test model.  Since it was only a test, I used orange instead of pink for the gums.  Now I am ready for the real thing.  :)

patticake1951 Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 2:52pm
post #10 of 10

They turned out very good. Glad I could help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%