Cake Decorator With No Pay!!!

Decorating By AnAnnie Updated 7 Nov 2013 , 9:46pm by jason_kraft

AnAnnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnAnnie Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 2

Hello all,

I am a beginner cake decorator in Houston, TX area. I am looking for an opportunity to learn and bring my skills to the next level. I am willing to work for FREE!!!!

I  have applied many times at big-box stores, and I was turned down due to my education background and past experience/salary. Applying online doesn't help either. If you are an experienced cake decorator or a business owner who can use some extra help, PLEASE let me know. I really appreciate it!!

1 reply
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 2

AKeep in mind that when a business hires an unpaid intern there is still expense, such as worker's comp and the reduced productivity involved in training a beginner. In some areas there may also be restrictions due to labor laws on what type of unpaid employment is allowed.

What specifically about your educational background and past experience has been the issue? If you are seen as overqualified you can selectively pare down your resume to more closely match the requirements.

Also, TX has a very liberal cottage food law that allows you to start your own home bakery if you follow certain rules. While you continue practicing decorating on your own you may want to start working on a business plan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%