Fda Ruling Could Ban Shortening With Trans Fats In Us

Decorating By jason_kraft Updated 26 Nov 2013 , 2:07pm by milkmaid42

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 4:45pm
post #181 of 202

AIf it matters, I can't see post count on my phone. But post count doesn't tell how much a person's been reading. What I see a lot of is one person giving the right information and getting ignored. Then if they restate emphatically, they are accused of having a lack of tact. Maybe the blind would rather be led by the blind. But if not, maybe don't drive the few people away who are willing to share their expertise. AnnieCahill wasn't giving out opinion, but fact.

Annie, not trying to make any statements about what might or might not drive you away. Or that you could be driven at all. :)

howsweet Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 4:54pm
post #182 of 202

ARegarding 10,000 posts... That has got to mean you are used to all this emotional talk that's so common here. I have 6,000 on a forum that's predominantly male and some of the talk here embarrasses me as a woman. Not referring to anything on this thread. But some grown women talk more like little girls.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 4:59pm
post #183 of 202

yeah i mean i think i should always take several steps back from posts i don't understand and the ones that i think i understand that annoy me--i think it's easier to ignore stuff than to get into it with someone--i mean i have enough baggage already to sail around the world (and surrounding planetary systems) many times--

'let it go' is what i try to do--but i will send a pm if it's a buddy that's got some 'splainin' to do--

misunderstandings happen--

w.m.b.l.

howsweet Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 5:02pm
post #184 of 202

ASo true, I just came back to delete my last two posts before they were seen, but it was too late. :)

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 5:03pm
post #185 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Regarding 10,000 posts... That has got to mean you are used to all this emotional talk that's so common here. I have 6,000 on a forum that's predominantly male and some of the talk here embarrasses me as a woman. Not referring to anything on this thread. But some grown women talk more like little girls.

no--not at all--it means i had a misunderstanding with someone on here recently where they thought i stepped on their toes, smashed them flat--thankfully they sent me a pm--i sincerely apologized and they forgave me--

halelujah 

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 5:04pm
post #186 of 202

no worries--we're all friends for the most part

-K8memphis Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 5:06pm
post #187 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

no worries--we're all friends for the most part

i mean we are all friends and some of our friends are not as friendly as others

shut up, k8

ok

howsweet Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 5:08pm
post #188 of 202

ALol :)

Cara-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cara-mel Posted 13 Nov 2013 , 9:23pm
post #189 of 202

AAnnie

Original message sent by AnnieCahill

It was actually a joke about the eggs, you know, chef smiley face and everything...

I apologize, I actually retread your statement and jumped to conclusions. It was a mistake and I was wrong. It had nothing to do with not having a intelligent argument as someone stated. I am new here and I have seen far too many people being outride rude to others for simply stating how they feel so I ask for your forgiveness. :)

howsweet Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 1:08am
post #190 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cara-mel 

Annie
I apologize, I actually retread your statement and jumped to conclusions. It was a mistake and I was wrong. It had nothing to do with not having a intelligent argument as someone stated. I am new here and I have seen far too many people being outride rude to others for simply stating how they feel so I ask for your forgiveness. icon_smile.gif

No one stated you had no intelligent argument.

Cara-mel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cara-mel Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 1:32am
post #191 of 202

A

Original message sent by howsweet

Quote: sorry if you were misquoted, but you were still wrong in your assumption and this statement was not about you and this is my last response about the subject. I'm done with it.

No one stated you had no intelligent argument.

howsweet Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 2:45pm
post #192 of 202

AWhat assumption are you talking about? I made it clear in post that I made no assumption. Specifically said I didn't know that it applied here. Please stop putting words in my mouth.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 11:05pm
post #193 of 202

The small window for commenting, protesting, or delighting in the two controversial proposed FDA food safety regulations, part of the Food Safety Modernization Act, is now closed.

The Federal ban on solid white shortening will now progress by the clerks in Washington with a few simple strokes of a pen.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 3:07am
post #194 of 202

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBalaska 

The small window for commenting, protesting, or delighting in the two controversial proposed FDA food safety regulations, part of the Food Safety Modernization Act, is now closed.

The Federal ban on solid white shortening will now progress by the clerks in Washington with a few simple strokes of a pen.

:judge:  It shall be done -  :0)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 4:25am
post #196 of 202

Quote:

Thanks for the link Jason. I drafted a short response - if anyone wants to help me with the wording, I'd be most appreciative. I don't even know the proper way to address it:

Hello Sirs and Madams,

I am cake business owner and as an ethical concern in terms of health, I only make cakes that would be eaten once or twice a year. I don't make foods that would be consumed on a regular basis. I use a small bit of shortening with transfat to stabilize my product in the Texas heat.

There is nothing healthy about my cakes, but having a 1x2x4 inch slice a couple of times a year is not going to hurt anyone. It seems unfair to my business to ban this product the way I use it when every unhealthy food imaginable is on the grocery shelf for daily consumption.

Very truly,

jason_kraft Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 4:32am
post #197 of 202

APlaying devil's advocate here...the counterpoint to that comment would be that California and NYC bakeries have been able to adjust to zero-trans-fat decorating without impacting their businesses.

I personally agree with your comment. Suggesting alternative strategies (such as more prominent "black box" style labeling) might help, as would a specific number for how many grams of trans fat are in a typical serving of your cake.

I would also remove talk of the proposal being unfair, remove comparisons to other unhealthy products (unless you are talking about what trans fats will be replaced with, e.g. palm oil with health and environmental considerations), and do your best to quantify statements like "not going to hurt anyone".

howsweet Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 4:40am
post #198 of 202

Those are good ideas, thanks! I know it's not going to make a difference anyway, but if everyone makes his/her voice heard, it can, so I feel like it's my responsibility.  Like voting...not that my vote counts in Texas, haha!  Yes, I'll survive just like CA and NYC, but I don't think it's fair.

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 8:45am
post #199 of 202

Howsweet: submit your opinion in your own genuine words, they are always the best. I'm glad it's still open.

Yes, it was the comments on the controversial proposed FDA food safety regulations, part of the Food Safety Modernization Act, that closed yesterday.  The acts that will put numerous small and midsized family farms out of business permanently, and prevent new start up small farmers.  They will be unable to bear the expense of keeping up with changing policies, undue paperwork, strict regulations,  and compliance.  Leaving only the large corporate owned organizations owning land and crops.  Billions more in tax dollars are spent, Food Prices will rise again.

jason_kraft Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 4:03pm
post #200 of 202

A

Original message sent by MBalaska

Yes, it was the comments on the controversial proposed FDA food safety regulations, part of the Food Safety Modernization Act, [I]that closed yesterday. [/I] The acts that will put numerous small and midsized family farms out of business permanently, and prevent new start up small farmers. 

The FSMA was passed in 2011 and there are several dockets requesting comments on various regulations, some open and some closed. Which particular regulations are you referring to? If this doesn't have anything to do with the trans fat ban you may want to create a new thread about it.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/ucm261689.htm

MBalaska Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 10:18am
post #201 of 202

with fond thoughts of slow times past, Bing Crosby, and old fashioned cooking in American homes.

When the California fishing fleets and canneries were prosperous.  When factories and mills were filled with working men and women in Los Angeles. When orchards of lemons, limes, oranges, avocados & almonds filled the fields in Orange County and the central valley.  When small dairy farms sold milk, cream and eggs from their small stores and you could walk around and pet their cows.  When chicken & beef were corn fed and local butchers cut them for your family. When the open fields on rolling hills had working ranches and horseback riding was a career. When there were small bakeries that sent their luscious perfumes

for a block to tease you before you walked in the door.  California, the Great State of California in days past.

I’m dreaming of a white Crisco

Just like the tubs I used to know

I’m dreaming of a white Crisco

With every Christmas card I write

May your days be merry and bright

And may all your buttercreams be white

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 2:07pm
post #202 of 202

My childhood and early teen years were spent in the great Central Valley----Fresno. Your evocative description actually brought tears to my eyes. My own four boys were able to catch a fragment of my nostalgia as they grew up on my small mini farm in central Arizona with the stories of the "good old days". Nowadays it is impossible for some to even have backyard gardens, much less a family cow, without being suffocated with regulations.

Whoever thought I'd wax nostalgic over Crisco?

Bah, humbug.

Jan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%