Cleaning Airbrush

Decorating By akrainis Updated 8 Nov 2013 , 5:24am by howsweet

akrainis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akrainis Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 2:28am
post #1 of 10

We just got an airbrush dedicated to chocolate and coca butter. It's the kind with the glass bottles that screw onto the bottom. Anyway, how do I clean it? Do I use water-based airbrush cleaner? Is there cleaner specific to cocoa butter/chocolate? What's the easiest method? 

Thanks!

9 replies
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 2:52am
post #2 of 10

I going to guess you mean an inexpensive badger airbrush?.....cause I don't think the expensive ones have glass bottle feeds.

I clean mine by running hot dish water through it or wiping it with a soapy rag. It's a really forgiving easy to clean brush! I have submerged my pen in dish water to clean around the inside rim and never had any problems. Because the chocolate doesn't feed through the needle/air spray the pen really doesn't need deep cleaning or special cleaners. You can just plain hot water with-out dish soap too.

Keep in mind these are cheap airbrushes so they don't last forever. But here's a good tip (I've learned the hard way) in time when you brush breaks KEEP it! So when the next brush breaks you can use the old one for parts. Because you can't buy replacement parts for the cheaper model.

akrainis Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 3:08am
post #3 of 10

AThank you.

So there are no issues running water through and then using it for chocolate? I was worried I'd have issues with the chocolate seizing...

Stitches Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 3:59am
post #4 of 10

Dry out the areas before putting fresh chocolate in it, air dry or use a cloth. Wipe the glass jars and brush top than blow air through the plastic suction tube to dry it.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 10

ASpraying chocolate - how cool. May I ask what kinds of things you're doing?

Stitches Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 10

I assume your asking the OP........but since they haven't responded I will. You can do almost everything with chocolate through the right air brush as you would with a regular air brush.

Currently I'm not doing anything with it, but I have in the past.

Quick example: theses are cheesecakes I airbrushed the pattern on them with chocolate.

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 11:57pm
post #7 of 10

I love your little cheesecake purses!!!

Stitches Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 12:32am
post #8 of 10

Thanks.

akrainis Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 3:31am
post #9 of 10

Thank you for the cleaning advice, Stitches!

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:24am
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitches 

I assume your asking the OP........but since they haven't responded I will. You can do almost everything with chocolate through the right air brush as you would with a regular air brush.

Currently I'm not doing anything with it, but I have in the past.

Quick example: theses are cheesecakes I airbrushed the pattern on them with chocolate.

Those re so cute! Thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%