Anna1211 Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 1:29am
post #1 of

Hi guys

Which brand cocoa powder do you use to bake your chocolate cakes? I been using frontier...any recommendations? What do you guys think of the cocoa powder by callebaut? thanks

23 replies
rychevamp Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 3:15am
post #2 of

Generally, Callebaut is pretty good, haven't used it in a while though.  My personal favorite is Valrhona.  More expensive, but as with all their chocolates, my first choice.  I have a lot of El Rey cocoa right now, and it very good.  I've used it for a while, and it's similar to Valrhona.  Nice dark color and flavor.

Anna1211 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 6:19am
post #3 of

AWow perfect I just purchased valrhona on amazon! Looking forward to it! Thanks :)

Anna1211 Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 6:23am
post #4 of

AIs it very flavorful? How many tsp do you usually put for 24 cupcakes?

summerki Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 8:41am
post #5 of

I did a tasting of cocoa powders in cake a while back for a CC mag article I wrote. Pernigotti was the clear winner (available via Amazon). I did not care for Valrhona. It gave everything I made with it an off flavor and I eventually threw it out. Callebaut is good, but is second to Pernigotti in my opinion. Scharffen Berger works well if you are looking for a cocoa that is not Dutch processed and is mild in flavor and color. Good luck!

MBalaska Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 11:48pm
post #6 of

Just plain ol' Hersheys Cocoa right off the grocery store shelf.

I don't use it enough, and don't have a business,  so the expense of a high end cocoa cost and shipping isn't worth it.

Besides Hersheys cocoa is delicious and every one here likes it.

CONFECTIONERIE Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 1:15am
post #7 of

I use Ghirardelli cause it's a step up quality wise but not too expensive.  I've been looking to try something else so it's cool too see what other people use.

morganchampagne Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 1:19am
post #8 of

AI have a business and use hersheys. It just has that familiar taste that I really like and my customers respond well to it

NYAcupcake Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 7:27pm
post #9 of

I reluctantly tried Hershey's as my first option. It was perfect...so I stick with it. I have been told my choc cakes and cupcakes are the best people have ever had. I also add choc chips, chocolate extract, and a spoonful or two of choc pudding mix as well.

FlourPots Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 9:18pm
I also did a tasting of cocoas (in the same chocolate cake)...
Hershey, Special Dark Hershey, Ghirardelli, ScharffenBerger, King Arthur Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa, and King Arthur Bensdorp Cocoa...

The hands-down winner was King Arthur's Bensdorp - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/bensdorp-dutch-process-cocoa-16-oz

I then tested it against Valrhona and it won again.
(Valrhona had a  slightly bitter taste to me)

...and right now, I have a bag of Ramstadt-Breda Rich Dark Cocoa...I've only used it in 2 recipes so far, but I find it even more bitter than Valrhona.

I really want to try the Pernigotti next.
Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 10:36pm

AWith the amount of chocolate in my chocolate cake recipe, I don't think the limited amount of cocoa powder makes much difference. So I use Nestle.

Goreti Posted 23 Nov 2013 , 11:15pm

I use Rodelle Gourmet Baking cocoa and have been very happy with it.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 2:40am

I also use the Rodelle Gourmet Baking cocoa and am very happy with it.

sarahgale314 Posted 24 Nov 2013 , 2:56am

AI absolutely love Cacao Barry Extra Brute cocoa powder. It is amazing. It is dark, dark, dark, and so rich! My chocolate cake recipe uses 2/3 cup of it plus 6 ounces of melted Guittard dark chocolate. (that's for an 8-inch tier). It's like you've died and gone to chocolate heaven.

Anna1211 Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 8:34pm

AFor those of you that use the hersheys cocoa powder! Can you guys share a yummy cupcake recipe with me? Thanks all :)

-K8memphis Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 9:25pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1211 

For those of you that use the hersheys cocoa powder! Can you guys share a yummy cupcake recipe with me? Thanks all icon_smile.gif

the one on the back of the can--

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184&name=HERSHEY'S-PERFECTLY-CHOCOLATE-Chocolate-Cake

i mean it's dangerous just to go look at the picture of it--mouth watering!

Dr_Hfuhruhurr Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 9:59pm

I don't use Hershey's, but this is a great chocolate cupcake recipe:

http://sugarlace.com/2010/10/chocolate-mud-cupcakes-with-chocolate-ganache/

MBalaska Posted 25 Nov 2013 , 10:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

Exactly!

NYAcupcake Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 12:51am

I just make this into cupcakes. I have people flipping out over them. http://www.instructables.com/id/The-BEST-chococlate-cake-ever...that-happens-to-be/

-K8memphis Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 1:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by -K8memphis 

https://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipe-details.aspx?id=184&name=HERSHEY'S-PERFECTLY-CHOCOLATE-Chocolate-Cake

i mean it's dangerous just to go look at the picture of it--mouth watering!

oh no oh no oh no you said cupcake oh no

i thought you meant cake --i've read that this recipe does not make up well into cupcakes and i guess i've never made it into cupcakes so i should not have posted--

so sorry--but it makes a great choco cake

and here's an excellent chocolate cupcake recipe

http://lickthebowlgood.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-classic-recipe-with-twist.html

Sakura Blossom Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 3:54am

ACocoa barry extra brute cocoa powder is one of the best. It gives a very rich taste to any chocolate cake.

MBalaska Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 9:17am

I make Hershey's cocoa cupcakes often, pour some dark choc ganache on top, swirl on some chocolate fudge icing, .........delicious !

mb

daisycakesnj Posted 26 Nov 2013 , 5:23pm

AI use the Hershey's recipe with Hershey's standard and Special Dark cocoas for cupcakes to rave reviews. I do add in tsp cinnamon and substitute coffee for the water. Sadly not on my Thanksgiving menu, bummer.

daprincessnora Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 1:15pm

AI use hersheys too in all my recipes I gotta try one of the recommended brands here though

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%