How Do I Make Sugarveil Flexible Again

Decorating By orman Updated 6 Nov 2013 , 5:22pm by emilyg

orman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orman Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 2

I have made my SugarVeil several weeks ago and sealed it in plastic bags between parchment paper as directed.  Now that I need it for decorations I find that it has dried and become brittle.  How to I re-hydrate it or make it flexible again?

thank you

Sandra

1 reply
emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 2

Hi Orman - you can do this in a several ways. Just place the decorations in a humid environment, or steam them (we know one baker that purposely lets all her SugarVeil decorations dry, and then uses them as needed by passing the pieces thru a steam path just before use). Here are a few other ways (1) Place a small corner of a wet paper towel in the microwave for 30 seconds, then into the plastic bag - away from the SugarVeil decorations - and allow the steam to increase humidity in the bag, or (2) place the decorations on top of the zipped bag, and place a wet towel beneath the zipped bag and the decorations will become again flexible, or (3) Place the decorations near a dishwashing area, for example. All of these ways will restore the flexibility of decorations. Another note - for the longest storage flexibility, place the zipped bags of completed decorations into a thermal bag, which keeps out the heat and sunlight. Depending upon the thickness of the decorations, pieces can stay flexible for months.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%