Hawaiian - Luau Themed Wedding Cake With A ???? Topper

Decorating By dukeswalker Updated 11 Nov 2013 , 3:21pm by dukeswalker

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 5:00am
post #1 of 6

I have a cake coming up and I had the design all worked out but I am now second guessing my choice as a topper. (I'm doing this as a gift for the bride and she has essentially left the entire design up me....)

So....

Cake base:14" round - white fondant covered 

Bottom tier: 10" x 6" round - vertical bamboo around entire cake

middle tier: 8" x 4" round - white fondant with a spray of frangipani/plumeria & other flowers nestled on the side

top tier:  my original plan was to create a wooden tiki head out of a 4" square, because that was one aspect of a cake the bride seemed to like - but I'm feeling like that topper is so un-wedding-y!  

The wedding itself is going to be fairly unconventional - it is taking place on a Sunday evening at a Luau themed venue and guests are asked to come in flip-flops/hawaiian garb - there will be hawaiian dancers, bonfire, etc..

Any ideas??

5 replies
bsy bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bsy bug Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 6:14pm
post #2 of 6

How about something like this?  I found this photo sometime ago but have not had the occasion to make it.

shebysuz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebysuz Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 6

AI did a luau cake a few months ago. How about a large hibiscus or a coconut drink?[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3135666/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3135667/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

dukeswalker Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 4:27am
post #4 of 6

I ended up doing a couple's tiki and it came out suuuper cute!

Luau themed cake with all MMF decorations - including bamboo, flowers & tiki

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 6

Cute! love the bamboo edges :)

The coconut drink would have been nice too!

dukeswalker Posted 11 Nov 2013 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 6

I know, I really liked the coconut idea but after fiddling with the design it just felt like more party than wedding, you know? I am totally keeping that idea for a future cake though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%