Took A Last Minute Order And I Am Not Happy With The Cake I Delivered :(

Decorating By ShannonDavie Updated 18 Nov 2013 , 9:06pm by johnbailey64

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 15

Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do? I took a cake order with 4 days notice because I didn't have anything else on my plate. I was a little hesitant because I know that I get pretty stressed when I don't have enough time to plan but it was an order from one of the parents at my daughter's school and I thought it would be a good idea to take it. I struggled with the theme and didn't have a clear vision and I also tried out the spiral carving technique which didn't quite work out right. These 2 factors really caused some problems! The cake looked sloppy to me and I was not happy with it at all. I was almost embarrassed to deliver it! It was just not my usual quality of cake. The customer said she loved it when I delivered it and so did the son but I still feel terrible that I had to deliver a cake that wasn't my best work.  

14 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 15

Sometimes we are our worst critic.   When I started out and my product wasn't 150% perfect, I always thought I should apologize or give a discount.   The cakes I took to my office job always came with a disclaimer about something I didn't like.   They started making fun of me for it.   I learned to keep my mouth shut.   Now I have also never put out anything horrible or been embarrassed.....it was just not PERFECT and to this day..it does bug me.  

I realize cake civilians don't see what we see.   I do designs all the time that I have never done before.  You can't do a practice cake on everything.   If she liked it............that's all that matters.    Just keep striving for excellence!

Gosh...that sounded so Army!   Can't help it sometimes!

rebecca67e Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rebecca67e Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:27pm
post #3 of 15

do you have a picture of the cake? interested to see what you consider sloppy. I bet it wasn't as bad as you thought and if there was no complaints from then then it could have been worse :-) I know it's not a good feeling though, when you're not happy with your work. Don't be hard on yourself, you barely had any notice.

scorpio1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio1966 Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:34pm
post #4 of 15

If they loved it, learn from what you think could be improved upon and move on. I only share my cake woes with my hubby, and he either offers good advise or tells me I'm being a perfectionist. its nice to have someone to run things by.

luvmykids2bits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykids2bits Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 15

Green icing with sprinkles.....

That's what I tell myself when I have a cake that is less than perfection to my standards.  I'm my own worst critic as well, and then I realized one day that when 98% of the rest of the world decorates a birthday cake, they tint a can of Betty Crocker frosting green, spread it with a butter knife on top of a chocolate cake in a glass pyrex dish, sprinkle on some coloured candies, push in a candle and maybe a small toy.  They're in awe of anything that's more elaborate than green icing with sprinkles.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 15

If it is the Indiana Jones cake on your facebook ..you have nothing to be embarrassed about.   I do see you have some beautiful cakes....so if that particular one was not up to "your" standard....than that's ok....we need to always be proud of our finished work....but seriously...........it is a great cake!  The flaws are in your eyes. 

ShannonDavie Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 15

Thank you everyone for your responses! My husband who is usually my biggest fan was actually agreeing with me that this one was not my best work. She told me she loved it but I ended up not charging her the balance she owed because I felt so guilty about the way it looked. Probably made myself look worse in doing so but just didn't feel right about especially after my husband agreed that it didn't look good. Ddaigle - It is the Indiana Jones cake on my FB page. Thank you for your kind words. Rebecca 67e - I was going to post the pic before but didn't want to get into any other discussions that can occur with cakes of it's kind (if you know what I mean) but I will go ahead and post it so you can see. 

7th birthday Indiana Jones themed cake

luvmykids2bits - Love it! I will have to keep telling myself that next time (though hopefully there is not a next time!)

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 1:38am
post #8 of 15

No, it is not your best work, though a lot of bakers would be VERY pleased if they could decorate that well ;-) I'm glad you gave her the discount, because you won't feel bad about it anymore :-)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 3:02am
post #9 of 15

dang that's a cool cake, have you seen the movie, it's all about the wild ride in a crazy run down mine, how could you even want the cake to look like the taj mahal   It's great as is.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 6 Nov 2013 , 6:50am
post #10 of 15

AI'm always glad the customer can't see what I had in my head - they'll never know what it was "supposed to" look like. If she's happy don't try to convince her she shouldn't be! Be happy she's happy :-D

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 12:13pm
post #11 of 15

I think it looks great and can see why the customer and her son loved it! Sarge is right..."cake civilians don't see what we see". Even if you had made that for me, I would have loved it too! The Lego Indie is really cute. 

:-D

Cake Mall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake Mall Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 15

Cake Mall
Title:Online Cake Delivery in Chennai - cake mall
Description:Cake Mall a division of Food Mail is an Online Cake & Flower Market Place designed to order Cakes & Flowers for important occasions and events & we deliver straight to the choice of your place. To make the entire process easy & hassle free, you just need to place the order in 24 hours advance so that we can make the delivery anywhere in Chennai.
Phone no:044-26185018,9094867627
E-MAIL ID:[email protected]
URL:www.cakemall.in

ShannonDavie Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 11:43pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you everyone for your replies and kind words. I am always amazed at how great everyone is here on CC! I am feeling much better about everything now. Annabakescakes - you are right I am glad I gave her the discount too. I was just worried I made myself look bad. I have just decided to learn from this order and never take a last minute order again unless it is something easy that I know I can be happy with the final product. 

pehumphrey89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pehumphrey89 Posted 17 Nov 2013 , 10:10pm
post #14 of 15

AIt happens. I had a brithday cake to make for a friend who's son was turning 2. She wanted a 3 tiered robot theme cake. I had plenty of time but was pretty new to making cakes. I had made 1 other tiered cake before and had it stacked and all ready to go and that one was perfect. This cake however I had to drive a bit of a distance and felt more comfortable stacking it on site. I got there and it was middle of August. I swear they didn't have the heat on and the cake was melting as I was trying to stack it. I put on the fondant peices (which lesson learned were too think so they were really heavy) and they then started slipping. One of the tiers was spray painted with edible luster dust to look silver. Because one of the fondant peices was slipping you could see the white buttercream underneath. My friend still loved it and it atleast tasted good. All her friends liked it but I told her to say she made it if anyone asked ;) It was a learning experience though. Always stack cakes prior (just used plates and dowels) and don't make decorations too heavy.

johnbailey64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnbailey64 Posted 18 Nov 2013 , 9:06pm
post #15 of 15

I've learned when I do one that Im not pleased with, I usually just put on a look of confidence and smile. People always say it's awesome and wonderful. Even when I know it's not perfect. They don't see the flaws. I try not to aplolgize for the flaws. Just smile and say thanks when they compliment it. lol.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%