Does The Wasc Recipe Have A Boxed Mix Taste At All?

Baking By blue329 Updated 7 Nov 2013 , 10:46am by MBalaska

blue329 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue329 Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 5

A family member heard from another family member that I was planning on doing her baby shower cake with a recipe that uses a boxed mix (WASC).  She apparently was horrified & told the other person to tell me she wanted a homemade cake (a little picky since I'm not charging her for anything- not even ingredients!)  My question is this... Does the WASC recipe taste at all like a boxed mix?  Will she even be able to tell it has one in it?  I've never made the WASC before, but keep seeing all the great reviews on it.  I am to make the cake on Friday, Nov. 8th, so any feedback before then would be great!

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 9:54pm
post #2 of 5

some will say yes definitely--

some will say no never not at all--

you need to try it and decide for yourself--no easy answer--

wasc is 'homemade'  though--

huge can of worms here--fasten your seatbelts

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 10:07pm
post #3 of 5

I have never noticed a 'boxed cake taste'.   That is a ? that you will get answers all over the place as *everyone's* taste buds are different.  no one can tell you what to do other than try the recipe yourself & maybe give the relative a taste of it - which you really don't have time to do.

Maybe in this case you'd best make a 'scratch' cake for her.   Is the cake big enough that you can maybe do both?  One tier WASC and the rest scratch?  Wouldn't that be a great test!

LoveonCloudCupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoveonCloudCupcake Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 3:56am
post #4 of 5

AAs someone that does both scratch and cake mix yes I can tell it's from a box. Even with added ingredients, boxed mix has a taste that just doesn't go away. Just my opinion .

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 10:46am
post #5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue329 

"........ she wanted a homemade cake (a little picky since I'm not charging her for anything-........"

blue329:  it's a gift, why not simply make her one. You can debate the pros & cons some other time.

:cake:

-k8memphis is right ((huge can of worms here--fasten your seatbelts))

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%