How Much For This Cake?

Business By angelcake4u Updated 26 Sep 2005 , 10:32pm by ThePastryDiva

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 8:45pm
post #31 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcake4u

Well, I told her $55 for that cake. She e-mailed me back and said "Great! Thank you go ahead and plan to do it. Do i pay you in advance or when i pick it up?"

What was I so worried about! Of course this was a e-mail coversation, so you never know if they are really cussing on the other end and writing something different. lol

SquirrellyCakes: You said you did like to use MMF for these bows. Why not? What should I use. I know I am supposed to add gum-tex, right?

Thanks,
Angela

Haha, well maybe she was cussing you and maybe she was breathing a sigh of relief. But the fact she didn't say that was higher than she thought sounds like she was fine with it!
I know a lot of folks like to use marshmallow fondant for these things, but I don't. I don't find it has the same elasticity as rolled fondant and actually for things like this, I prefer the Wilton because it has a bit of a hardener in it anyway and with some extra gum-tex powder or part gumpaste mixed in or even tylose, it will keep its shape better without drooping and dry better too, at least in my opinion.
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Sep 2005 , 8:46pm
post #32 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale

I'd charge a million dollars for it (U.S. currency that is). That way, if you sell just one cake, you dont have to worry about how much to price the next one. If you feel bad about asking for a million bucks, start off at a million, let her talk you down to $60 or so. That way she'll be really happy and think she got a real deal on a million dollar cake. Just dont plan on buying the yacht this month.

Good idea, I think I will try that one!
Hugs Squirrelly

angelcake4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcake4u Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 9:43pm
post #33 of 40

Okay, I've got my bows made for this cake. The cake is being delivered on Sunday. Should I put the bows on when I get there? They are MMF. My bows don't look has thin as the one's in the pic above. Should I try to make them out of gumpaste. If so, will they have enough time to dry for Sunday. I think I would like to go ahead and make two extra in case something happens to the others. Thanks for any help.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 10:06pm
post #34 of 40

I would go ahead and make at least one for a back up. You might end up liking it better and then you could use the first one for a back up. I'm pretty sure if you have it thin enough you will have time for it to dry by Sunday. Good luck and don't forget the pictures!! icon_smile.gif

angelcake4u Posted 22 Sep 2005 , 10:11pm
post #35 of 40

charlieinMO: Do you know if I should put the bow on when I deliver the cake or if it will transport okay with the bows attached? I would hate for the bows to fall apart in front of the customer. lol

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 23 Sep 2005 , 4:00am
post #36 of 40

I like topics like this because the are such a learning experience for me. Thanks to everyone who's replied so far. It does make me think.

Also, I have to comment that I LOVE Dale's reply. I'm SO going to use that the next time I'm asked about my prices. I'm still laughing!
KimAZ

angelcake4u Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 1:52pm
post #37 of 40

Well, here it is. I should be posting this in the cake disaster forum. The top teir of this was cut to size. The icing did not want to stick to the sides of the cake. When I pulled into the customer's driveway, the icing on three sides of the top layer was falling down. I saw the two sides that were falling and then my husband pointed out the third side. The look on his face was rememorable, I think it thought I was going to throw the cake at the windshield. Thankfully, I kept calm. I took it in and repaired it, it still looked like #@** in my opinion. The customer was not there, but her husband was. He said I think it looks great. Anyway, she e-mailed me last night and said the cake was fabulous. She even asked about a cake for next weekend and for Halloween. I did like how my bows turned out. Why do you think my icing would not stay up? It is because the sides were cut? It is always humid here. I just do not want this to happen again. I guess it is true, we are our worst critics.
LL

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 2:42pm
post #38 of 40

The bows turned out very nice. icon_smile.gif How long did they take to make? I think $50 was a fair price. Some of the prices quoted on this board are very expensive. People do not take into account regional differences. $5 slice here would buy fondant cake at one of our bakeries.

Since your customer was so cool about the frosting problem, I think they would understand in the future if you need to add on fees for special designs that take a lot of time to make.

It is very humid here, but so far I haven't had frosting slide (off
knock on wood). I always do a thin crumb coat and let that sit in the fridge for ahwile.

angelcake4u Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 3:09pm
post #39 of 40

Thanks for the compliment! The bows did not take too long. From making my MMF and shaping the loops, that took about 50 minutes. Then after the loops dried, it took about 10 minutes to put the bow together. I really enjoyed making them. I am going to have to start doing the crumb coat and let it set in the fridge. I think that will help.

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 10:32pm
post #40 of 40

It's really a cute cake. You should be very proud and look....you got 2 more orders!

I love hearing that!

You go girl!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%