1/2 Sheet Cake

Decorating By punkyf Updated 3 Nov 2013 , 11:22pm by punkyf

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 4

I have been asked to make a half sheet cake for a friends wedding shower. Do you typically have 2 layers in a half sheet cake? Also, I have no idea how much I should charge. I usually only do cakes for family so this is new to me. They are going to have around 80 people at this shower and only have $50.00 to spend. I normally make the WASC cake I found here for my cakes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I thought about getting the Cakeulator but I'm not sure about it. 

Thanks,

punkyf

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 4

a half sheet feeds maybe 50 give or take--

a two layer half sheet is in essence a full sheet--

even my immediate family members pay me appropriately for my professional services unless i straight out gift it to them-

i mean you would probably not be out much pocket money to do this but it's way off balance if being fair to you is part of the equation--

and if they have fifty bucks for 80 servings--you are right --you don't need the cakeulator--not that i'm familiar with it--but you just need to do them a favor and get the ingredients and go for it.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 4

My half sheet cakes are normally a single layer..split & filled.   They serve 30-50.  My half sheets with borders and very simple deco and butter cream filling are $45.   I could not do a cake to serve 80 for $50.   You will need to either "donate" the rest of the cost as their friend...or tell them they need to cough up some more dough.

punkyf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkyf Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 11:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your help. I love making cakes but hate figuring out what to charge. That's why I just usually do it for close family. 

punkyf

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%