Has Anyone Tried There Hand At This?

Decorating By myobsession Updated 10 Nov 2013 , 9:28am by myobsession

myobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myobsession Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 3:28am
post #1 of 23

I stumbled upon some beautiful cakes and would like to re-create one. Specifically the 4th down on the left that looks like a hexagon made from several "panels". Does anyone know how I would be able to do this or how long it would take?

http://www.sifbeth.dk/galleryda.html

22 replies
Bakers Crush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers Crush Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 4:10am
post #2 of 23

Aive never tried but this is what I would do.

Panels are fondant dried and the rectangles are cut out and criss crossed with either fondant or that gumpaste royal icing mix(i forget the name) the middle is blue and white fondant not kneaded all the way and the the decor is fondant work and piping

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 6:42am
post #3 of 23

I will have to disagree with Bakers Crush.  The cake is a round cake covered in marbled fondant.  The decorations are advanced Royal Icing techniques called run-outs and collars.  These take a great deal of practice and learning to get the royal icing just right.  

I'm sure there are many books out there but the one I have by Eddie Spence shows all these techniques.  I know there are CC members that do this type of work with great skill and I hope one of them will chime in to give you further guidance.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 7:23am
post #4 of 23

I have an old fashioned book that is full of RI cakes and I too would have to say that they are decorated using various RI techniques. They are very impressive!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 23

If you click on the photo it will take you to her site where she has a book available to download on royal icing techniques.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 23

Let me change that to if you click on the tutorials heading it will take you to the English section.

Bakers Crush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers Crush Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 23

AJw I thought thats what I said. Marble fondant kneading and royal icing techniques.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:34pm
post #8 of 23

Those cakes are beautifully done!!! Wow!! 

JWinslow Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 2:50pm
post #9 of 23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bakers Crush 

Jw I thought thats what I said. Marble fondant kneading and royal icing techniques.

I was referring to the "panels are fondant dried".  This sounded like you were referring to a paneling technique which this cake does not use.  As far as the other, I thought it would be good to use the terms Marbled fondant, RI Run-outs and Collars in case myobsession wanted to look up how to do the techniques.  It would be easier for her to know the terms for the techniques and I didn't see those terms used in your original post. 

myobsession Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 23

AThank you everyone. [@]cazza1[/@] I will check her book out. [@]bubs1stbirthday[/@] Do you still have the name of the book? [@]JWinslow[/@] I hope they will chime in too, but until then I will Google these terms you've mentioned. Do you know what the title of the Eddie Spence book?

JWinslow Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 23

The Eddie Spence book:  The Art of Royal Icing

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1905113153/?tag=cakecentral-20+icing+book

I suggest finding a used one in good condition as the new ones have sky-rocked in price unless you can find a better source. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1905113153/ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=8-1&qid=1383494957

I am sure there are other good books and tutorials out there but I am no expert in RI which is why I am still hoping someone who has done this type of work will chime in.  I'm sorry I'm not more help.

Jeanne

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 4:39pm
post #12 of 23

AI did raised panels around a cake like that once. It was actually fairly easy. Just time consuming, and tedious. I recently saw the collaring in a book, but can't for the life f me remember what book. Was it The Well Decorated Cake?? I'll have to look.

JWinslow Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 8:43pm
post #13 of 23

I also found this video on a making a collar.  Not the same design as the pretty cakes you posted but a good starting point :smile:

myobsession Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 10:58pm
post #14 of 23

A[@]JWinslow[/@] Surprisingly the new ones are cheaper but don't be sorry, you have been such a great help to me. Great video too. [@]IAmPamCakes[/@] Did you make your own template? How long did it take to pipe the panel? How long did it take to dry? Do you have a picture you would like to share?

IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 11:16pm
post #15 of 23

AWe found a template in an old Wilton yearbook, then changed it slightly for the style we wanted. Piped out the panels, let dry overnight. The next morning, I had to build up RI around the edges of where the panels would go on the cake, waiting for each layer to set before adding the next. It didn't take too long. Then, on the last buildup layer, I attached the panels while the RI was wet. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures because shortly after making that cake, I ceased working at that place. I missed out on a lot of pictures of my work at that place. The owner got all the credit for everything I did, even if she couldn't do it herself. No wonder she's out of business. Sorry, I get a little bitter thinking about that place.

IAmPamCakes Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 11:17pm
post #16 of 23

AOh, and it didn't take too long to pipe the panels. Just followed the lines, and moved on to the next. Actually pretty easy.

myobsession Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 4:17am
post #17 of 23

ASound quick, not going to say easy though. That sucks though, how could people sit around and take credit for others work. I think karma may have paid her a visit.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 10:01pm
post #18 of 23

The book I have is called '101 cake designs' by Mary Ford. It is full of great RI designs with step by step instructions. I borrowed it from my Library then went and bought my own copy off e-bay for $10 including postage from England.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Nov 2013 , 5:42am
post #19 of 23

...... '101 cake designs' by Mary Ford.......

This was one of my favorite books!  I love, Love, LOVE! her designs.  I did many of them in b'cream. Sure, they are somewhat different but close enought to still be really nice.  I probably have some in my pix album.

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 2:29am
post #20 of 23

One has Jeanne. You are quite right, definitely run out and piping, you'll never get this effect using anything else. Mary Ford's early books are great for this type of work as she gives instructions on each section and tells you how long to leave each stage to dry. Try her 101 Cake Designs. burgundy cover, printed 1983. Another good one for this technique is "Cake Decorating and **********" by Evelyn Wallace and first published by George Newnes Ltd. in 1967 and copyrighted to Hamlyn. There are some awesome Christmas cakes using this method in this one. Start off simply and work up to difficult. I've made lots of these over the years and they never fail to impress. You can even cut through them with a quick blast of steam and a very sharp knife. The ones with iced pictures underneath look particularly good as it's like looking through an old fashioned window. Just remember that practice makes perfect, don't be impatient if it doesn't work the first time, you'll get there in the end. I haven't done one for a number of years now due to the so called "fashion" in cakes but you've re-stirred my creative genes and if I feel well enough I might just get the urge to make a Christmas one.

Good luck with your endeavours

Sandra 

105sruss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
105sruss Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 2:32am
post #21 of 23

I don't know what is supposed to be offensive with the word I used but if I separate it maybe it will be acceptable. Sugar Craft. There you go but it is all one word on the actual book though.

Cheers

Sandra

JWinslow Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 5:42am
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 105sruss 

I don't know what is supposed to be offensive with the word I used but if I separate it maybe it will be acceptable. Sugar Craft. There you go but it is all one word on the actual book though.

Cheers

Sandra

I think when you put the words together it becomes a website that is automatically edited out on CC.  Nothing you posted was offensive,  It's that technology thing - LOL

myobsession Posted 10 Nov 2013 , 9:28am
post #23 of 23

AThanks so much. Now I have some books to find and once I find them I'll do some reading and give a simple one a try.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%