Starting A Cake Business!! Help!

Business By Mimi744 Updated 2 Nov 2013 , 12:45am by Mimi744

Mimi744 Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 3

AOkay, I've been doing cakes for about a year now. Now that I've actually started getting a good bit of costomers I am trying to start up a business kind of. I live in a tiny town which isn't a great location. There is another cake shop here but they get hardly any business and their cakes are not so great and way over priced. Not as great as in a coworker got a babyshower cake from there and it was 3 layers, leaning over in the back and the fondont bow was so hard they couldn't cut it.

So my question is can anyone help me with my pricing? Because I am clueless with this and always feel off about charging people sometimes. I am under pricing my things though. How exactly do I price cakes, cupcakes, cakepops?

Thanks. (:

2 replies
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 3

There's a lot of threads on CC about pricing.  I suggest doing a search here and some outside research on pricing because there is no simple answer to "how do I price my goods?".  

If you have an iPhone/Android phone there's a cool app called The CakeUlator that takes a lot of the math work out of pricing.  You just need to plug in your costs, but this doesn't factor in equipment pricing, utilities (how much does it cost you to turn the oven on at 350 degrees for 45 minutes?), and things like that.

Are you baking from home (if your state allows) or will you be renting a facility?

Mimi744 Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 12:45am
post #3 of 3

AFrom home for now. I have a space but would prefer not to use it til get more costomers. I will definitely check out that app!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%