Trouble Making Swiss Meringue Butter Cream Need Help

Baking By hennahk Updated 17 Dec 2013 , 1:03pm by hennahk

hennahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hennahk Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 13

Hi, 

I m new chef in baking ... i m having a serious problem in making swiss meringue butter cream .... once i pop in my butter it becomes scoopy butterry n loose .... i never had nice stiff buttercream to pipe cake n cupcakes ... plz lemme knw where i m wrong i follow all de instruction step by step ... need help badly

12 replies
Rohini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rohini Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 13

AHi! Have you tried putting your buttercream in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes and then rewhipping it? This might help it to stiffen up a little.

CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 6:32pm
post #3 of 13

I tried making SMBC for the first time last week and I hit a few bumps in the road as well.  I eventually found a blog (I'll try and find it) that suggested taking a fourth of the mixture out and microwaving it to melt the butter and then slowing pouring back into the mix while it's whipping.  I did that and it worked and my SMBC came together.  I did add too much butter overall though and it really just tasted like slight sweetened butter 

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 6:46pm
post #4 of 13

Be sure that you are beating your SMCB long enough after putting the butter in.  You want the butter to be soft but not melted.  Once you add it to the whipped egg whites your mixture may start to break down.  This is okay, it is normal, just keep beating the mixture, it should come back to a nice spreading consistency.

Bakers Crush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers Crush Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 6:49pm
post #5 of 13

AI agree I would try mixing for longer. It will get lumpy at first.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 13

if your smbc is too buttery--add more vanilla

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 13

Here is a tutorial that has always worked for me:  http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

Make sure you use unsalted butter and it does take more flavoring than ABC.  

hennahk Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 13

hi, ya i did put my butter cream in de fridge n den took out of fridge n started beating again ..... i kept on beating for long but it was same runny batter ... it doesnot goes to stage 2 where de batter starts to break n in 3rd stage it becomes together ... why ?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 13

your meringue might have been too hot & melted the butter perhaps

hennahk Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 13

I live in dubai n i use dis butter brand called lurpark .... my meringue cums stiff ... but de moment i start putting my butter n beat it is runny batter i make sure my butter is room temprature .. also my buttercream just stays on stage 1.. it doesnot goes to stage 2 where de batter breaks downs n looks grainy n horrible ... n in stage 3 it cums together ....

i m stuck in stage 1 ... why dis happens .... ???

plz help 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 10:39pm
post #11 of 13

ASomewhere on CC someone posted really good instructions. What I found the most helpful was that the butter should not just be room temperature but too soft to pick up but not melted. Once you get all the butter incorporated you beat the butter on low, not medium low, the very first setting on your mixer and let it go for at least 15 minutes. It took my batch maybe a little over 20 minutes.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 2 Nov 2013 , 5:31am
post #12 of 13

Read this:

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

She explains the different stages SMBC can go through if your meringue and/or your butter isn't the right temp.  It's all fixable.

hennahk Posted 17 Dec 2013 , 1:03pm
post #13 of 13

Hi, I have made redvelvelt cake now i need to ice dat with buttercream and den cover with fondant ..... Can i used redvelvet butter cream icing .... will it be stable enough so i can cover fondant or else shld i used normal buttercream icing ? which icing shld i use 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%