What Do You Think Of My Halloween Cake?

Decorating By louglou Updated 1 Nov 2013 , 11:38pm by farmgirl2012

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 17

I'm entering a work cake competition and have created this. I'm quite pleased with it, but it seems a bit sparse to me. What else can I do with it to make it a bit more special?

16 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 17

louglou:   what is a work cake competition?

louglou Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:44pm
post #3 of 17

Just a competition at work for hobby cake bakers. I work in IT for a chemical manufacturer. Everyone pays £2 to taste as many different cakes as they want and the winner gives the money to a charity of their choice.

punkin90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkin90 Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 17

That is really great to give the money to charity! I love color. I know this is a Halloween cake but how about adding more color somehow? Even if it is white bones or more gray color?

scorpio1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio1966 Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:49pm
post #5 of 17

How about some wilted flowers or a mean face pumpkin!

louglou Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 17

It is a nice idea though I am probably taking the whole competition thing a bit too seriously.:oops:

I agree it needs some more colour. Maybe some bloody bones. And something on the side of the coffin.

Capela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Capela Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 10:40pm
post #7 of 17

ALooks good! I did the same today at work! This is only my second cake, I have a lot to learn but hopefully I'm getting there. My pumpkins really popped with colour, perhaps you could add some? This image is from my phone so sorry if it's not very clear! Happy halloween everyone!

VANILLAPLAZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VANILLAPLAZA Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 12:32am
post #8 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capela 

Looks good! I did the same today at work! This is only my second cake, I have a lot to learn but hopefully I'm getting there. My pumpkins really popped with colour, perhaps you could add some? This image is from my phone so sorry if it's not very clear! Happy halloween everyone!
farmgirl2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmgirl2012 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 12:41am
post #9 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capela 

Looks good! I did the same today at work! This is only my second cake, I have a lot to learn but hopefully I'm getting there. My pumpkins really popped with colour, perhaps you could add some? This image is from my phone so sorry if it's not very clear! Happy halloween everyone!
still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 1:02am
post #10 of 17

ASome green grass might work to add some color.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 1:48am
post #11 of 17

The color of the coffin and the ground are very close. I would probably either make the earth the dark brown of Oreo cookies or make the coffin the color of pine wood. I like still-learning's suggestion of grass.

Pretty gruesome and I'm sure it will be a hit!

Kate2102360 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate2102360 Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 2:18am
post #12 of 17

AIt looks great although it's a bit odd that it looks like that the zombie is coming out of nowhere, probably it's better if you make a hole like thing around the zombie , indicating that it's coming out :)

Kind of looks like this except yours is a zombie coming out [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3130621/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm
post #13 of 17

louglou: you are thoughtful to make something that everyone will enjoy eating while giving to charity.  So Big Points for taking the time and energy to do that !!

You certainly got some great responses, and WOW on all of those cakes.  If you find your decorating skills are like mine, { limited }  here's what I've done for Halloween cupcakes for my friends kids.

Buy Halloween candy from the grocery store,& put on the top.  You know, candy corn, pumpkins, ghosts, etc.  Halloween has Lots of big rich deeply saturated colors.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 3:47am
post #14 of 17

A

Original message sent by Kate2102360

It looks great although it's a bit odd that it looks like that the zombie is coming out of nowhere, probably it's better if you make a hole like thing around the zombie , indicating that it's coming out :)

Kind of looks like this except yours is a zombie coming out [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3130621/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Definitely. Need to add that touch for realism. Maybe some splintered wood around the opening too.

CakeChemistry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeChemistry Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 7:47am
post #15 of 17

AI love the rats! Maybe a bit of copper lustre painted on the wood grain of the coffin? It will just give it a lift. I think you did a great job!

louglou Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 9:45pm
post #16 of 17

Thanks for all the replies. I agree about it looking odd with the zombie popping up but no obvious hole or splinters, but by the time I read that post it was too late.

I added a few maggots, skulls and bones and here's the finished cake.

Unfortunately I only came 4th in the competition. I know it shouldn't matter but I spent ages on it and I thought it looked and tasted great. Guess I'm just a bad loser!

farmgirl2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farmgirl2012 Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:38pm
post #17 of 17

Keep your head up!! I think it looks great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%