'food Grade Mold' Recipe

Baking By blwilley Updated 9 May 2017 , 10:31am by -K8memphis

blwilley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blwilley Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:35pm
post #61 of 158

810whitechoc,

Certainly hope you can use it.  I just purchased a few small pieces of lace, nothing fancy, still cannot find the thickly patterned kind I am looking for, but hope to soon have time to practice with them. 

Please keep me posted on any lace molds that you do, and any techniques that you come up with that helps the procedure along, and a few pics would be nice too.  Thanks!

Merry Christmas!

blwilley Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:45pm
post #62 of 158

rexygirl,

Hi Jersey!  I am from 'lower, slower Delaware', so we are enjoying the same nice weather !!

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 22 Dec 2013 , 12:56pm
post #63 of 158

AAhh small world!! Yea it's crazy 70" in winter!! Not exactly Xmas weather:grin: the hubby and I were going to go last nite over to the Christiana mall area for Jose tejas (resteraunt) but then we thought the traffic might b nuts!! Good thing we did a friend said she was sitting in bridge traffic for 2 hrs!!

blwilley Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 3:54am
post #64 of 158

Happy New Year everyone!!

I have had time to play!  And now I am praying that we do not get hit with the predicted snowfall, and high tides, that I am hearing about on the tele.  So on to more mundane things...

I found a fairly decent piece of ribbon type applique, it has a nice depth & design.  This piece is 6 1/2 inches long without stretching or distorting it any, showing 3 complete & equal sections of the design. 

100_8887.JPG?width=750

I wanted it thick, so I glued the applique to a piece of cardboard, with a lot of easy release rubber cement, under the applique piece to hold it down & on top to help stiffen & protect it.  Then I taped the cardboard to the bottom of the container.   I coated the lace & the cardboard with a thick coat of coconut oil to help it release better before pouring in the mold mix, and as you can see, it worked well.  The lace is not damaged.  And if needed, it should wash up nicely.  Black was the only color I could find.

100_8889.JPG?width=750

The gumpaste lace applique with the thickness of the cardboard showing.  Can be used as is if desired.

100_8896.JPG?width=750

Here the cardboard boarder has been cut away, leaving a nice thick piece of gumpaste applique.

100_8903.JPG?width=750

I think I got it a little too thick. lol   But at least now I have a way of getting the depth or thickness that I want. 

100_8906.JPG?width=750
Three 6 1/2" sections fitted together.  It worked!  This would look nice on a cake.

I am getting the hang on how to work with these pieces finally.  I have a larger piece of actual lace to do it with, now that I have worked out a satisfactory way to do it, & enough nerve to try it.  I am really quite pleased with how this project turned out. 

rexygirl Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 4:20am
post #65 of 158

AVery nice blwilley!! I'm going to b trying a new mold next week I found a cool icicle that I'm going to use to a frozen themed cake! Can't wait!

blwilley Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 1:46pm
post #66 of 158

Morning Rexygirl.   Just reach outside your window for an example of an icicle! haha   No flying today!  The grands had to stay home today to play in the snow, so I just may try my hand at another mold.  The 6 yr; old was eating the flowers yesterday as fast as I could make them...I was practicing the folded flowers.  Then he asked for the 'green icing', which I had not even gotten out yet!  Didn't even pretend to wait for me to make some leaves first. lol 

rexygirl Posted 3 Jan 2014 , 3:19pm
post #67 of 158

AHaha!!! Yes I know it's a mess here but snowday yea!!

blwilley Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 1:19am
post #68 of 158

FYI - For anyone that is interested, here is the vegetable glycerin that I use in my mold making recipe, & it is on sale right now. 16oz. for $6.92, or 1 gal. for $47.98 if you use a lot of it, both with free shipping.  This is cheaper than my local store for the same brand.  And beats the pants off craft store food grade vegetable glycerin prices! 

http://www.pureformulas.com/vegetable-glycerine-16-oz-by-now.html?C...

I use NOW solutions, on the front of the bottle it says 'vegetable glycerine, 100% pure, versatile skin care.  On the side under suggested uses it says: 'The vegetable glycerin contained in this product is considered food grade.'  I got it at our local little combo health shop/pharmacy.  When I went in & told them what I needed, this was what they directed me to.    I am still on my first 16oz. bottle.  I keep remelting & reusing the same mold mix over & over.  I only keep the molds I know I will be using again.  Probably have only made 4 batches total so far. 

If anyone has another brand to offer, please let us know.  Choices are always welcome.

blwilley Posted 4 Jan 2014 , 1:38am
post #69 of 158

Does anyone else have problems spelling 'glycerin' AKA 'glycerine', or is it just me?? lol

My spell checker wants to leave off the 'e' at the end, but the store that sells it uses the 'e' at the end!  Go figure...

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 6 Jan 2014 , 11:00pm
post #70 of 158

AThank you for the heads up on the sale!

blwilley Posted 7 Jan 2014 , 2:08am
post #71 of 158

Good evening Sammy09,

Glad to be of some help!  I ordered several bottles myself. lol

blwilley Posted 11 Jan 2014 , 1:12am
post #72 of 158

Making broach molds again folks, & learning as I go...

0.JPG?width=750

I filled the bottom center of the broach with gumpaste so the mold mix would not get deep into it, would be too hard to get the gumpaste mold out that way.  Then I filled the bottom of the container, on the right, with gumpaste to push the broach protrusions down into, that gave it a flat surface to pour the mix on.  As you can see, this worked fine, the bottom of the broach did not get any mold mix under it.  I just love these disposable food containers, this one came with gravy in it from KFC.  The sq. one had potato salad from the grocery store. lol  But I do use them over & over again.

1.JPG?width=750

This broach had a lot of definition that was picked up by the mold quite nicely, well defined.

2.JPG?width=750

Here is the gumpaste broach with pearl dust on it.

3.JPG?width=750

This smaller pin was prepared the same way.  The stick pin part on the back was pushed down into a layer of gumpaste already in the bottom of the container, so when it was poured, it would come out flat on the bottom, just like the larger one did.

100_9014.JPG?width=750

Here I have painted the edges of the larger pin with an edible silver glaze, all that I had available just now.  Waiting for my silver luster dust to arrive.  Then I painted the smaller pin with it & sprinkled on some cupcake gems in shimmer silver, also in place of the desired luster dust.  Bur it was fun!  These will go on a cake I am doing to surprise an old friend.  The one that said that she had heard that I made a pretty descent tasting fondant!  Then I put the pins back into the fondant bases in the containers so I can make some more molds to give to a few friends to use.  There were no issues with pouring the hot mold mix over the gumpaste base, no melting, & it released easily with (the smaller one), & without (the larger one), being sprayed lightly first.   I was able to get very good detail, definition, with both of these molds.

100_9036.JPG?width=750

When I poured this second mold, at the bottom, I sprayed the pin, gumpaste, & container lightly first.  You can see a difference in the appearance of the 2 molds.  I believe the detail is a little better also, so this is something to keep in mind.  I filled them both in layers so I could push the gumpaste into the crevices defining the underside of the top petals, then another layer to finish off the bottom layer of petals/pearls.  I let them set for a few minutes only before releasing carefully from the mold.  Next time I will let them harden some to see if they will keep definition better, without breaking when being removed from the mold.  Go back & clean up between the bottom petals as needed.  I also used the original recipe, with the glucose/corn syrup this time.

Now I have a way of using the poured method, even when the botton of the object is not flat, and will not need to suspend the object any more.  Hope this answered a few more questions...and have fun!

blwilley Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 5:21am
post #73 of 158

Hi everybody!

I finally had a chance to use the nice big piece of lace applique that I bought online.

I cut one, of the two that I have, into 4 major pieces, and will be working with the bottom section today.

This is a full size turntable like you would use on a pantry shelf for cans & such.  I used cardboard strips to contain the mold mix so the mold would not be larger than was necessary.   But , as you can see, it filled the whole thing!  And you can see the cardboard under the piece of lace/applique.

I pasted the lace applique to a piece of cutout cardboard to give it some depth, it was not very thick on it'd own.  AND, we have very good detail as a result!  This thing turned out to be 6" wide & 9" high!  You can see my hand behind it.  I will never be doing a cake that will take this, so I will definitely be melting this one down for reuse.  I am going to cut the applique into smaller pieces & work them into a pattern that will be approx. 4" high so it will wrap around a cake.  That will be something I might be able to use. lol

But this is a pretty piece of lace applique!  I am very pleased with how it turned out.  It has been treated with pearl luster dust to bring out the detail a little better.  So to answer an earlier question...yes, this mold recipe can be used to make a form for lace.  I did not use cornstarch or spray on the mold, I just pressed the gumpaste, had no fondant available just now, into the mold, removing the excess around the edges for better definition, let it set about 5 minutes, then placed it gumpaste side down & removed the mold by peeling it up & back.  

My original mold, 4 months old now, is still hanging in there, and shows no sign of decay in any way.  I have found that the softness, pliability of the molds, feels better when they are kept in containers rather than left out to dry and harden some.  I am now keeping my containers/plastic tubs in the frig in the basement.

rexygirl Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 9:07pm
post #74 of 158

ALooks great! I could definitely see this large piece at the center of a three tier cake!! Gotta try doing some lace!!

blwilley Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 9:33pm
post #75 of 158

Thanks Jersey!  If anyone could make this big one 'pop', it'll be you!

rexygirl Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 1:42am
post #76 of 158

AHaha! :) I did melt down my molds to make an icicle mold, I forgot to take a pic of the mold but here's a pic of the cake I did for a friends daughter [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3175109/width/350/height/700[/IMG] [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3175110/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

blwilley Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 3:06am
post #77 of 158

These are gorgeous!  Wow, but you are GOOD! 

And I just LUV the guys on top!!!

rexygirl Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 3:52am
post #78 of 158

A:oops: thanks :oops:

blwilley Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 4:42am
post #79 of 158

I cut the lace piece into 5 smaller pieces, then made molds for them.

A little luster dust for definition...

Below are some possible combinations using these pieces.

There are so many things you can do with them. 

I was going to make molds of these combos, but now I don't see the need for doing that.

So I will work on the 4" high wrap around one next using a different piece of this original applique.

blwilley Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 10:09pm
post #80 of 158

Hello again,

First off, the materials I work with to do these molds, plus the plastic bowl. I use a clear RubberMaid one with a lid, so I can just close it up, then remelt it next time if I want. Or just pull the leftovers out of the bowl, once it cools, & throw them back in, to store for later. A little neater this way.

Here are the 'left & tight sides only' of the original lace applique. The roasting pan was the only one I had large enough to hold both of them. I stuck them to the bottom of the pan with corn syrup, just to see if it would work, and it did. And washed out so much easier. I forgot to spray them, will do it next time though. The corn syrup was sticky on the mold, had to wipe it off with paper towels! lol I used no cardboard to build them out this time, and as you can see, they were thick enough to give good detail this way. I put the lace back in the pan for the pic.

They measure about 4" high. You can link them end to end, or cut into individual pieces to use on your cake. You can also only fill the part of the mold that you want, instead of the entire thing, like for the design to the left only, on this one.

Any questions yet??? 

Will have to start cutting them into smaller pieces/shapes to see what I get that will make a nice usable mold. I like the fact that this lace is not as thick & balky as the ones I made prior, though they too do have their uses. Sometime the thick ones stand off the cake enough to make them look ...more pronounced, & richer?, you get what I mean.

Most of all, I like the fact that I can use syrup to anchor the lace to the base, and it will hold it there! lol

Sammy09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sammy09 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:44am
post #81 of 158

AWow! Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing! Your enthusiasm is infectious. Greetings from Houston Tx.

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:48am
post #82 of 158

ATh

Original message sent by blwilley

Hi all, I found a piece of trim, done by hand, in my mom's stuff.  Since I am not crazy about the color, I decided to use it to experiment on.  As it turned out, it was not a very good choice for this project, not uniform in pattern size, too flimsy, & just not enough substance.  But I was able to get it too work.  I cut the trim piece to 6 1/2".  I used Tacky Glue to hold the trim to the waxed paper that was lining the plastic plate that I used.   I will need to use a release agent next time, because I tore the trim piece getting it out of the mold, though it could be that it was just too old-sigh.  I applied cornstarch before putting in the gumpaste , which worked out ok, but the mold was not firm enough to allow for using a pallet knife to remove the excess, so I had to use just enough paste to fill the design.  I hope to be able to try it again soon with a piece of decent lace.  Here are some pics of this project.

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3140809/] [/URL]

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3140810/] [/URL]

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3140811/] [/URL]

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3140812/] [/URL]

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3140814/] [/URL]

[URL=http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3140813/] [/URL]

This looks like tatting- my other hobby - never thought of making molds from my lace.

blwilley Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:33am
post #83 of 158

80x80px-LS-8520bbed_cakegeneric.png 

• 32 Posts. Joined 10/2012

Wow! Thanks for all your hard work and for sharing! Your enthusiasm is infectious. Greetings from Houston Tx.

Hi again Sammy09,

Ain't it fun though, to catch something other than a cold, this time of year?  You did say infectious! lol 

And thanks for stopping by again.  Be sure to let me know if you decide to try it!

blwilley Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:38am
post #84 of 158

Hello sugarflorist,

You are the second one to recognize the 'tatting'!  I had forgotten what it was called.

And YES, you can probably do some very beautiful and delicate molds with your lace work!

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 2:03am
post #85 of 158

AI am working on a competition entry at the moment. But after march I should have time to experiment with this. The thought of unique lace patterns is exciting. I make ring cushions for brides. To be able to match the lace on the cake would give an added dimension to my work.

blwilley Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 2:20am
post #86 of 158

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarflorist 

I am working on a competition entry at the moment. But after march I should have time to experiment with this. The thought of unique lace patterns is exciting. I make ring cushions for brides. To be able to match the lace on the cake would give an added dimension to my work.

A competition?   WOW!  Praying for you.  GOOD LUCK!!

I turned the famous 'golden age' last year.  I have been into 'Cake' for about 14 months now.  Probably did not make 5 cakes in the 20 years before that, my hubby doesn't eat them, & I can't eat a whole one by myself.  The grands are only 3 & 6 yrs. old.  I DID get to make my granddaughters BD cake last June!  So a 'Competition'  competitor has me in awe. lol

blwilley Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 12:31am
post #87 of 158

The cold, the rain, the snow... Anything AND everything seems to be an excuse to stay home, & play with my stuff!  Ha Ha      

I decided it was time to go through my molds, & melt down the ones least likely to be used.  So say good bye to my very first mold, the big one in my palm.   I also want to let you know, that in my opinion, it is best to keep these in a container, or baggie, in the fridge.   The molds I have been refrigerating seem to retain their softness, and flexibility a lot better than the ones left in the open air.  But, as you can see, this one is still quite flexible, just not as soft & malleable as before.  I have left this one out a LOT, was actually only in the fridge during the time I had misplaced it, and found it in the fridge, in a large container, on top of the buttercream! lol  So several others will join these two, and be melted down, ... to make some leaf molds.

In this picture I am touching the bottom portion of some cloth leaves, with plastic spines, that I picked up at Michael's.   I cut off the 4 leaves that were above these to use in the molds.  They were getting smaller toward the top.  I FORGOT to take pictures as I went...was too interested in seeing if I could get it to work. 

I sprayed the leaves, front & back, well, with oil.  Heated the mixture for 20 seconds, used my same dowel as always to stir it rapidly, then back in microwave for another 15-20 seconds, I stop it when I see it bubbling.  Remove & mix rapidly again.  I poured a thinnish layer into a bowl, laid the leaves on top, pressing down on them where I wanted a wavy effect, and poured in the rest of the mix, just to cover the leaves totally, but not thicker than needed for this purpose.  Work fast because this stuff cools, and starts to set, FAST!  More so than if it were a freshly made batch, it seems.

Then in the fridge 20 minutes to cool.  Used finger to pull the mold away from the side of the bowl enough to get hold of it, and pulled it out of the bowl.  It was probably about 1/2"  thick.   I took kitchen scissors/shears & cut to separate the 4 leaves.  Then, doing one at a time, I cut right to the very edge of each leaf, all the way around, you have to get to the edge or it will not separate!  Then I pulled the mold apart where the leaf was inside.  The mold separated easily from the leaf on the side with the  plastic spine, bottom of the leaf.  But I had to pull quite a bit to get the top side, apparently a different texture, to separate from the mold.  Will remember to allow for that the next time I am spraying them with the oil.  Three of the four were still attached some at the base, so I left them that way for now.  I kind of like that, they will still open completely for applying the gumpaste leaf.  The next time I shall pretend they have stems, and cut around this area, leaving this stretch of the mold to allow for opening the leaves further apart, for insertion of fondant/gumpasre material. 

This procedure did work, better than I expected.  But it can be improved on!  The next time, I will use leaves that have more definition, depth, to the design, to get a better veined leaf mold.  You can leave these out to dry some, if you like the mold to be a little firmer. 

Any suggestions, or input? 

blwilley Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 5:00am
post #88 of 158
Hi, saving on gas again.  Decided to stay home & make a few things.  I forgot to leave extra on one side, or end, when I cut out the shape, to allow the 2 sides to open, but stay attached to one another.     

You can see here how the cloth leaf was sandwiched between the 2 thin layers of mold mix.  Cutting right up to, and sometimes part of, the leaf allows easier access to the leaf for removal.  Find a spot where the cloth is visible, and start peeling the mold back from first one side, then the other, as I am doing here.  This leaf faired very well, will be reusable.  I used my finger to apply a good coat of oil to both sides of the leaf, instead of just spraying it.   

I made a light  tan, & a light brown, leaf using this mold.  I extended the lines on the leaves, with light pressure only, using my pallet knife.  Then using a darker green, made some more leaves with the last batch of molds.  Two show the front sides, & 2 show the backs sides of the leaves.  The leaf is still in the last one, the top wouldn't stay open for the picture. lol

This is really the first time that I have applied a blend of petal dust with any success.  I used light & dark green, along with a yellow, and a rose color, left over from one of my Wilton classes. .  Opened the dishwasher door for a second to get the shine! lol  That will also clean one's glasses...

I have noticed, again, that the more times I melt this mix in the microwave, the more it dries it out.  So I added a little warm glycerin to it, and it seemed to help.  Will try just warm water next time, to see which works better. 

I might even try the warm mineral oil again, in the recipe that is, just in case it might incorporate better this time.  The beading up that happened before might have been a fluke?!  Worth a try...

Ta Ta!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 7:59am
post #89 of 158

AI can't wait until spring, I would love for you to use real leaves and petals to make your molds. I also prefer the lace molds with no card board behind them. Much finer and more elegant.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 11:43am
post #90 of 158

If making lace moulds be sure to buy good quality lace with no little thread ends showing.  I made a mould out of a bit of cheap lace I had with the silicone from MYOM and it worked so fantastically, picking up every little detail,  that every little bit of cotton showed and it looked a mess and was unusable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%