Help!!! Two Weeks Before Wedding!!!

Decorating By iluvdonuts Updated 30 Oct 2013 , 4:30am by iluvdonuts

iluvdonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvdonuts Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:25am
post #1 of 3

I am doing my first four tiered wedding cake for my sister-in-law in a couple of weeks. The person she originally ordered from just had surgery so he is unable to make her cake now. She is a very laid back bride and has left the flavors ( and the design) to me. :shock:  I was hoping to use some of the WASC recipes from Macsmom to really give her an awesome and unique wedding cake. The wedding is 400 people. I am doing 14,12,10, and 8inch rounds and making 2- 12x18 kitchen cakes.

My questions are: 

I've noticed its said that some of the WASC recipes are very moist. Are they sturdy enough for stacking 4 tiers of this size? They will be covered in fondant.  I plan on using SPS (first time) too, so that should help.

How many different flavors of cake is appropriate? Her only request was banana and chocolate.  I always seem to go the most challenging route, and after reading the first 137 pages of the gourmet flavors thread my head is spinning and I want to make 6 different cakes!

But then I remember my children are in the wedding, its gonna be a very busy week!

Does anyone have a recommendation for a timeline? I usually start on Mondays (making fondant and modeling choc etc) when cakes are due Fri or Sat. I was thinking of starting to bake the cakes this week and freezing them. Like I said my children are in the wedding so i have to deliver the cake to the hall on Saturday morn and come back in time to get everyone ready for the ceremony. So everything will have to be finished on Friday night.

Thanks in advance!

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:48am
post #2 of 3

..........some of the WASC recipes are very moist. Are they sturdy enough for stacking 4 tiers......

Yes.  It's the supports that hold the cake up - NOT the cake itself.  You could stack layers of jello with the proper support system.  Using the SPS should be great :)  ..........How many different flavors of cake is appropriate? Her only request was banana and chocolate........

I would not do much more than that with white or yellow as one other choice.  The more choices you give people the more they will want; in other words many will want to try each flavor :(  Instead concentrate on making really good, moist cakes.  Start baking now if you have room to store them in a fzr.  Properly wrapped they will be even better & delicious as the day they were baked.  Using my *original* WASC recipe you can make any cake flavor there is a box mix for.   http://cakecentral.com/t/584319/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

..........my children are in the wedding, its gonna be a very busy week!.... recommendation for a timeline? usually start on Mondays (making fondant and modeling choc etc) when cakes are due Fri or Sat...

Get started now!  The more you have done ahead the better off you will be.  Plan out the design.  Know how many flowers, pieces of lace etc you will need & start making that now.  If anything needs to be plyable, make it out of fondant, wrap it in plastic & store in frz or frig.  Flowers can be left out at room temp - just cover lightly or box & put in a cupboard out of the way until needed.

iluvdonuts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvdonuts Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 4:30am
post #3 of 3

Thank you kakeladi! Ive read so much on here and always find your posts helpful! She wanted Banana with a chocolate filling/icing. Im definately doing a white with raspberry and cheesecake filling. I thought maybe one more....they love chocolate so i just need to settle on a combo. Our greek weddings are usually over the top and decadent so I'm pretty nervous!  I never thought of doing the fondant decor this early, but I will now that I know it will stay pliable. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%