Freezing Frosted Cakes

Decorating By mbaldwin914 Updated 30 Oct 2013 , 1:48pm by Stitches

mbaldwin914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbaldwin914 Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 11:51pm
post #1 of 2

I'm thinking about selling cakes wholesale to local coffee shops and such but I imagine I would need to have a supply on hand to fulfill an order at a moments notice and was thinking about freezing pre-frosted cakes to meet demand. I have thought about freezing just the cake itself but I'm wondering about the possibility of frosting then freezing. Has anyone ever done this? Is there a difference in quality when freezing a cooked buttercream vs a powdered sugar buttercream? Thanks in advance for you response :)​ 

1 reply
Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 1:47pm
post #2 of 2

I sell mainly wholesale. It depends upon what you mean by "fulfill an order in a moments notice". No one actually does.

The wholesaler decides how fast they can produce and deliver a product to the retailer. Manufacturers take a longer turn around (because they have to make the product) than a distributor whom only has to deliver the product from their warehouse.

Often when you sign up a new company to sell to.... they will ask you what your turn around rate is? I always say "at least 3 days".....but if they are asking for something I don't produce often or a lot of, or if it needs to be baked to order I tell them whatever I want.....like "I can get that to you on next Friday".

Don't promise an instant delivery, it's unrealistic!

As to whether you freeze your product or not depends upon what YOU want to do. Do you have the room in your freezer to do so? Does it effect the quality of your product? Will this create more waste/less profit for you in the long run?

You make those decisions. Keep in mind the beauty of a retailer buying from you is that you can provide them with a fresh cake....whereas big distributors can't and that's your products advantage!

I hope this made sense for you and gets you to rethink your question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%