Just Venting

Decorating By RubinaD Updated 15 Nov 2013 , 8:04pm by RubinaD

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 26

why do people want a custom cake for their little one, but are shocked at the price of them? I mean if you would rather purchase a cake that is cut from a frozen slab, that is trucked in and iced with icing that can remove paint, please go there. Everything I make is made to order, baked fresh, made fresh. seriously I just don't get it? ugh! just needed to vent to people who understand!

25 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 26

Yep!! This is usually the case for me. I have a facebook page and put my prices on there. That way people don't have to inquire if they don't want to pay for my cakes. It drives me nuts! 

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 1:17am
post #3 of 26

A1. Because they have no idea the skill or expense involved

2. There are plenty of those who undercharge and perpetuate the fallacy

3. The only comparison they know is the grocery store and similar "bakeries".

RubinaD Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 1:58am
post #4 of 26

exactly to both of you, and it's not like these people are strangers, I have known them for 30 plus years, they are childhood friends of my brother. so frustrating to say the least, then you doubt yourself and price. : (

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 2:18am
post #5 of 26

RubinaD:  you simply must go to this thread and read the stories.  there are some really tiptop screen savers that an experienced decorator created in her computer.   They may bring a smile to your heart and cheer you up.

http://cakecentral.com/t/762679/wisdom-from-cake-central-members

cheers

RubinaD Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 6:56am
post #6 of 26

@MBalaska, thanks so much, I loved that link, it was so funny, even some of the comments made me laugh. You definitely put a smile on my face. :)

celiazumbach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celiazumbach Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 26

AI here you. Its the same for me not just with cakes but with wedding flowers. I hear people say "as soon as you say wedding there is wedding tax added" It really gets me going. They are not the ones staying up all night so they have fresh cakes or fresh wedding flowers. Thanks for venting. Grrrr

mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubinaD 

@MBalaska, thanks so much, I loved that link, it was so funny, even some of the comments made me laugh. You definitely put a smile on my face. :)

Me too! haha! "I no makie sheet cakes!" HAHAHA!

happy tiers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happy tiers Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 8:51pm
post #9 of 26

yep!!  I'm new (a year) at baking cakes...........and geez im shocked myself and the bill I have to pay at the checkout for all the supplies,, cake boards, cake boxes, gel colors, fondant, veiners, icing ingredients, fondant/gumpaste tools......wowowow!!!  so don't feel bad when you quote your price,, just show them your receipt!!  ahaha  happy bakin' ya'll

Whirlwind Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whirlwind Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 26

ASeriously... I hate it... The funniest is when they're all amazed at your work saying stuff like WOW that's the best cake I've ever seen, and still think your price is too high And then saying stuff like "Oghh everyone is getting into doing cakes these days I'll just go somewhere else"

You just have to find the right people - it's hard but they're out there

embersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
embersmom Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 3:39am
post #11 of 26

Can't beat the call we got today:

~ring ring~

"Hello, Bakery, this is embersmom, how may I help you?"

"Hi, do you do fondant cakes?"

"No, I'm sorry, we don't."

"Well, where would I go then?"

"You'd have to go to an independent bakery like [lists 3 of them within a 5 mile radius of the store]."

"Oh, I already called them.  I figured since you were a grocery story you'd do it cheaper."

"Sorry, there are no groceries in the area I know of that do fondant.  It's considered too labor intensive.  That's why it's more expensive."

"Well, I'm on a budget and I really want a fondant cake.  You're not lying to me, are you?"

I'm surprised I didn't make my lip bleed considering how much I bit it during this entire exchange 8O

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 9:54am
post #12 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersmom 

~ring ring~

"You'd have to go to an independent bakery like [lists 3 of them within a 5 mile radius of the store]."

"Oh, I already called them.  I figured since you were a grocery story you'd do it cheaper."

"Sorry, there are no groceries in the area I know of that do fondant.  It's considered too labor intensive.  That's why it's more expensive."

"Well, I'm on a budget and I really want a fondant cake.  You're not lying to me, are you?"

I'm surprised I didn't make my lip bleed considering how much I bit it during this entire exchange 8O

Wow, how rude, accusing you of lying WTH?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 10:41am
post #13 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by embersmom 

~ring ring~

Just say:  "You're not lying about your budget to me, are you?"

embersmom Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 12:59pm
post #14 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by 810whitechoc 

Wow, how rude, accusing you of lying WTH?

I know!  As in...why would I?!?!?

Over the past year we've been occasionally getting requests for wedding cakes, but as soon as we tell them that we're not set up to do tiered cakes and they have to go to one of those independent bakeries, they're like, "Oh, OK, that makes sense.  I was just looking to save a little money."   If the person seems to be genuinely curious (as opposed to the running-around-at-mach2-and-on-a-budget type, I'll spell out why that tiered cake will costs what it will cost.  Afterward they'll thank me and say that it never occurred to them that there's that much work involved.

embersmom Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 1:01pm
post #15 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norasmom 
Just say:  "You're not lying about your budget to me, are you?"

LOLOL, sometimes I wish I could say that!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 2:10pm
post #16 of 26

I don't know...I mean I have been totally miffed at the prices of things before without really thinking about what goes into producing that particular thing.  For example, I have switched my diet to all grass-fed beef and sometimes I end up paying almost $9 a pound for ground beef.  To me, that is freaking outrageous, but I understand a lot more goes into caring for and "feeding" those animals.  I'm sure all of us have suffered from sticker shock at some point and our knee-jerk reaction is to say "it can't be that much!"

AnnieCahill Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 2:19pm
post #17 of 26

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't pay what I would personally charge for a cake.  It's all about what we value.

RubinaD Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 4:05am
post #18 of 26

Hello everyone, so an update to this story, the client has decided to book a cake with me yay! It will be a centered cake surrounded by cupcakes. now I have a question, how do I secure the cupcakes to the cake board so that they don't move or fall over during transport etc.? any suggestions? thanks so much.

dukeswalker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukeswalker Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 4:19am
post #19 of 26

A little goober of BC on the bottom of each cuppie will do the trick. ;)

RubinaD Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 5:49am
post #20 of 26

Athanks so much, i was thinking something like that would work.

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:34pm
post #21 of 26

Yep BC or a dot of candy melts.

embersmom Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 2:39pm
post #22 of 26

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

And for what it's worth, I wouldn't pay what I would personally charge for a cake.  It's all about what we value.

Or as somebody around here once put it (IIRC), "I am not my customer."

RubinaD Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:24pm
post #23 of 26

Hello AnnieCahill, wouldn't the dot of the candy melt rip the cupcake liner? I guess it depends on how big of a dot, eh? thanks

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 3:38pm
post #24 of 26

I saw it on a blog once and it looked like a good idea.  I use foil liners so it probably wouldn't rip those.  Here's the blog (not mine):

http://www.annies-eats.com/2012/01/12/cupcake-basics-cupcake-transportation/

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:00pm
post #25 of 26

It doesn't rip the regular liners.  Just pops right off the board leaving the chocolate on the board..  I do it all the time.

RubinaD Posted 15 Nov 2013 , 8:04pm
post #26 of 26

cool thanks ladies for the idea!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%