Problems With Icing A Cake

Decorating By shorey69 Updated 30 Oct 2013 , 12:40am by CONFECTIONERIE

shorey69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorey69 Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 4

hi im struggling with putting fondant on a cake i can put it on but then its like as if the icing overlaps each other and makes a horrible dent and its not all smooth and normal, does anyone know how i can solve this problem? as its not making my cakes look the best they could be!  thanks x

3 replies
mfeagan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfeagan Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 12:00am
post #2 of 4

I would honestly recommend watching some YouTube videos on how to cover a cake in fondant. Don't just watch one or two. Watch a bunch! That way you can figure out the method that works the best for you! 

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 12:35am
post #3 of 4

AIt's just practice. You keep opening it up at the bottom to deal with pleats. I think there is a free craftsy class you could watch.

CONFECTIONERIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONERIE Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 12:40am
post #4 of 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakemaker 

It's just practice. You keep opening it up at the bottom to deal with pleats. I think there is a free craftsy class you could watch.

Yes! Craftsy has a really good free class called Basic Fondant Techniques.  The instructor, Elisa Strauss, goes into great detail on how to cover round AND square cakes with fondant.  She also talks on how to avoid that "pleat" that you're describing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%