Need Help With Icing Sheets

Decorating By dragonlady1964 Updated 1 Nov 2013 , 11:40pm by dragonlady1964

dragonlady1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonlady1964 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 11

Hi I am new to CC and I need some info on Icing sheets. I am doing a wedding cake and I have butter cream icing on the cake and I am going to be using the icing sheets. This is only the second time I have used them. How far in advance can you put them on the cake without the colors bleeding? And once you put them on the cake can you put the cake back in the refrigerator? I would appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks in advance.

Susie 

10 replies
dragonlady1964 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 11

bumping up

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 11

I have placed icing sheets on my cake 24 hrs in advance and had no trouble with them bleeding.

I have also used an icing sheet printed as pages on top of an open book cake and refrigerated that overnight with no issues either.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 11

I think it depends on what you are printing and how long in advance it is.  I recently created an open faced book where I had a printed page (small print) that I had attached on a Friday afternoon.  There was a faint blue hue to the background of the print on the icing sheet because of the paper I had copied the print from.  By Saturday the blue was more prominent.  So although the wording had not bleed, the coloring did change significantly.  It didn't spoil the effect but next time I will print it off closer to when it is needed.

On the same cake I had printed a note that was laid on top of the book.  It was a note I just typed in rather than copied from an actual book so I didn't have the background hue and there was no problem with it.  So it all depends on what you are printing or rather where you are printing it from.

If you are concerned and have the time, print up a test, adhere it to a small cake and put it in the fridge.  The you will be sure to not have any sleepless nights.

dragonlady1964 Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 11

I just wanted to say Thank you again for your help. The wedding is 3 days away so I will wait until the day before to put the icing sheets on the cake to make sure.

Thanks again

debeeyore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debeeyore Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 11:45pm
post #6 of 11

I am wanting something you can print a picture on and put it on a cake, is that the same as a icing sheet?

dragonlady1964 Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 2:39am
post #7 of 11

yes it is

tonylee5566 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonylee5566 Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 3:41am
post #8 of 11

I am doing a wedding cake also !!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 12:35am
post #9 of 11

kkmcmahan:  your book cakes are delightful. What a good example of using icing sheets on a cake.

nice sheep BTW.

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 10:41am
post #10 of 11

Thanks you MBalaska. I followed Jessicakes tutorial for the bookcake. Having such a sturdy platform was great since the book was very heavy by the time I finished it!

dragonlady1964 Posted 1 Nov 2013 , 11:40pm
post #11 of 11

Did you do a Halloween wedding cake? Mine was and they loved it. I will have to figure out how to post pictures on here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%